Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Are MS Hi-Def Cables useful on Pal Xboxes??

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by General-Zod, Sep 16, 2005.

1. General-Zod

General-Zod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Just wondering if the Hi-Def Component Cables from Microsoft are any use to me on an unmodded PAL X-Box. I would like to see if they'd give a better picture on my Toshiba 36ZP46.

Will they even work on a PAL box???

2. dvdphile

dvdphile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +245
    My understanding is they will work and you will get component output but it will still only be 480i which is interlaced.

Seeing as you have a TV capable of accepting a prog scan input you'd benefit from soft modding your box so it can be cahnged to ntsc.
    Once you enable ntsc you can change the output to 480p, 720p, and 1080i.

See the thread about soft modding and see if you can borrow the kit!
    It's worthwhile if you don't mess it up! ;)

Gary

3. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    sort of true! you will get output over component but only 576i not 480i as 480i is a NTSC signal not PAL. unless his TV accepts 720p and 1080i which i highly doubt it does being a CRT set i dont think a soft mod would benefit him. sure 480p is better than 576i but i dont think it would be totally noticable on a SD CRT set. just because his set is progressive enabled does not mean it will accept 720p and 1080i inputs over component, in fact im 99.99% it will not

4. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I'm running my Xbox on a PD30 at 480p and it definitely looks better. It's not twice as sharp as anything as ludicrous as that (although I'm sure there's somebody on an American fanboy site saying it's better than the PS3 or something ;)) but textures are generally better.

The first thing I noticed when I upped to 480p from 576i was the road surfaces in PGR2 looked better with greater depth in the bump mapping. Likewise, Burnout 3 is sensational. It's probably down to improved single-frame contrast on progressive scan mode.

On the downside Halo 2 looks horrifically jagged on some of the darker levels - the later levels when you're going after the final Prophet have some awful aliasing issues which I don't think were anywhere near as bad on interlaced output. As for the Tosh accepting 720p or above - spot on - it definitely doesn't do this, at least not in the UK. I'm sure there's one of the Tosh CRT sets that can accept a 720p signal in the States but the UK equivalent can't :mad:

Cheers,

Colin

5. Dr Phibes

Dr Phibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried the Hi-def cables on my Xbox before I did the softmod and I couldn't see any difference between the hi def cables and the RGB scart whilst in PAL interlaced mode.

6. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    I wouldn't expect any difference as component is basically the US version of RGB. In PAL with both at 576i the PQ should be the same. The improved picture quality is only seen when you have progressive scan & higher resolution.