Are mp3s and iPods ruining music?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by eddidaz, Sep 13, 2007.

Tags:
  1. eddidaz

eddidaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Interesting, I thought the music would be mixed and engineered to sound good on the reference kit the producer uses, not some cheap tat earphones and a compressed mp3 file! As far as I'm concerned mp3 is great for convenience but not sound quality. I still use my cd player although it's becoming less frequent and I suppose I will stop using it altogether should I get an audiophile quality (lossless) music streamer like a squeezebox.

3. KJ Palmer

KJ Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    MP3s coded from source CDs at 'high' bitrates (192k+) can sound very good, actually, though the degradation is far more noticeable at 128k and lower.
    Personal compilations (from my own CDs) for playback on portable MP3-CD and home players gives 70+ tracks at quite listenable quality, so on the contrary that in some ways enhances the music experience. Of course, the original CD should be kept and can be played when the best quality is required.

Admittedly the few (legal) MP3's I've downloaded (128k classical tracks) were of very disappointing quality.

4. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    Depending how you look at it.

Thanks to MP3 single track downloads the music industry will be forced (over time) to stop outputting albums with 90% dross. In addition we are all listening to music a lot more than we used too, which could mean more new bands coming through (level of interest).

If you are looking at quality, then that's not totally down to mp3's, the quality of audio on cd's was dropping long before mp3's became popular. Before the industry started designing music to be played on ipods they were designing it to be played on very low quality fm radio and before that am radio.

If your talking loss of revenue, well the music industry only has its self to blame for that. If albums costs £6-8 on the highstreet (as they do online) people won't be more inclined to buy rather than get into the habbit of downloading illegally.

Don't forget in the UK album sales are doing well and are increasing. Plus we have undergone a huge boom on commerical radio (more choice) which has probably hit the cd market as much as the mp3's.

5. Falp

Falp
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are mp3s and iPods ruining music?

Were analoque LPs?
    Were digital CDs?
    Was Cassete?
    Was poor AM?
    Was compressed FM?
    Is MTV?

:devil:

6. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    As usual its the music industry blaming everyone but there selves. Their either too lazy or too greedy to make decent quality recordings.

7. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,516
    In all honestly i dont think the quality music people are hearing now is much (if any) worse than it was 10 or 20 years ago for most people (come on, we all had one of those terrible HiFi's made of chip board wood and more flashing lights than Blackpool that sounded horrendous). 99% of people where listening to crappy cheap HiFi's and personal CD's. Now we might have compressed audio files, but the quality of hardware is far better for the same money (at least in the lower end of the market). Were they moaning then that cheap music equipment was a waste of there efforts sweating over a mixing desk?

In the next few years we will see the likes of iTune's etc move to higher bitrates and eventually lossless anyway.