1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are movies getting too long ?!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by dc007, Sep 17, 2003.

1. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Seems to me, 20 years ago 'blockbuster' movies were around the 100 minute mark. Anything over 2 hours was labelled 'epic' !

Nowadays, it seems just about every movie clocks in at 2 hours or more, with many in recent years going on way longer....

Don't get me wrong - if its a great film I never want it to end ! Love the LOTR extended edition, for example.

But many films would be better if the editor 'trimmed the fat' off them and got them down to nearer the 90 minute mark...

Any thoughts ?!

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No. I think 90 minute films are way too short. They gloss over character devolpment and introduction to the story.

Although the likes of Fast & The Furious is 1 hour 46.99 seconds too long! :)

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Phone Booth was only 75 mins!
    Way too short for a feature film IMO.

4. prevailrob

prevailrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was quite surprised when I flicked the display on on my dvd player to see that Identity was just a bit short of 90 minutes long. I expected a 2 hour film _easy_. Didnt feel to short or anything mind you, I really enjoyed the film.

Rob

5. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Granted, there's a happy medium - and in plots requiring extensive character development then 90 mins may be short.

But what about films like Armageddon at 144 minutes, or Independence Day at 145 minutes ?! Minimal character development there !

6. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    What about The Godfather films or Once Upon a Time In America ?Now they are long films.
    I always fall asleep before the end.

7. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    The films length has to be determined by the need for that length.

Phone Booth was excellent at 75mins long, it did what it needed to do, no need to drag it out longer.

Armageddon is far too long and just gets boring.

Some of the old Hollywood epics were very long Spartacus, Camelot etc etc.

If you want something extremely long and involving with in depth character development, then that is the role of the TV series. I believe that a feature film should not go above 3 hours, I personally cannot sit for that length period. I usually watch the long films in two sittings at 90mins each.

In fact I believe the perfect film length as a distinct telling of a story should be around 90mins.

8. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    For the most part I'm with you, Sinzer - 90 to 100 mins should get the job done.

My contention is that the average length of movie is creeping steadily up. This might be the 'moneys-worth' argument. I'm told thats why a lot of movies out of Bollywood are so long - Indian audiences expect to be entertained for 3 hours at least - any less and they wreck he joint !

9. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    What about the special edition of dances with wolves, to my knowledge its just on or over 4 hours!!

Thats an epic

10. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I loved the first Fast N Furious, maybe i would agree with 2 Fast 2 Furious yes but not the first film

11. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i hate short films...... im just getting into it..... and then it is over!

Ad

12. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just watched Das Boot Superbit (had to bring brothers Pioneer DVD in as his supports dts output- mine doesn't)

I couldn't see how they could make that film 90 mins or the usual film length... it just wouldn't work.

btw, very good sound... the bolts flying from side left to side right, side left to front left etc was fantastic! Seemed much better than before- although I've changed several things since I watched it last (new processor, new main speakers, and now watched in dts) oh yeah watched it initially with English dubbed 5.1. It was one of my first bought DVD's and I didn't know DVD had the capability of several soundtracks! :)

13. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    if i recall, even the vhs version of das boot i had sounded really very good

Ad

14. kilvil

kilvil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    give me the long version every time. would love to see the outtakes from dr zhivago watch it at least once a fortnight
    would love to see more.

kilvil

15. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849

sadly, terminator 3 wasn't very good because of it's length. But then where else could they have gone with the film? can't really re-develop characters that are so well established. Ho-hum.

Some films are great short, others are pants. Terminator 3 vis-à-vis phone booth.

16. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well seeing as i thought phone booth was pants, id not agree with that! :D A long film doesnt necessarily mean it is good, the matrix 2 being the one which instantly springs to mind..... but in general i cant think of any short films which i really like.

Ad

17. owenw

owenw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Sixth Sense was quite short - 87 mins - if memory serves, but it told the story and ended with a nice twist.

18. owenw

owenw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    please delete

19. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    I've long since lost count of the number of films I've seen over the past few years that I've felt would be much better if they were much shorter - but this is not because there is anything wrong with long films. The problem is because so many films have such vacuous scripts. Most "blockbuster" feature films these days have a script that, at best, could sustain a 30-minute short. There simply aren't enough ideas in them to sustain anything longer, and attempting to do so is what makes the film so boring - there's inevitably an awful lot that is just padding.

So the problem is not that we need shorter films per se, but that we need better scripts (or, failing that, we need films to be more condensed to fit the scripts).

20. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    That was supposed to be my initial point really, NicolasB - there's just too much padding in modern films !

A lot of older films had good plotlines and condensed scripts, 90 minutes wham-bam, thankyou ma'm.... !

I think a lot of modern films, if they lost the padding, could return to this format. Settle for being a nice, tight 90 minute B movie instead of a boring, drawn-out 2 hour drudge.

There will always be a place for the longer films - IF the scripts justify it !