1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are motherboard and peripheral boxes cellophane sealed when manufactured?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Chipster, May 23, 2004.

1. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Are all motherboard and peripheral boxes cellophane sealed when brand new?

Just wondered as I'm on the lookout for a new MB again following two failures and have yet to see a mobo in a properly sealed box. The same applies for some peripherals like graphics cards etc. Every retailer I've visited including the likes of PC world never seem to have a box that looks new, allways looking like a return of some kind or graded stock.

Do they seal these boxes from new at maufacture or are there billions of products flying around with no checkable history and sold as new?

Chipster.

2. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    None of the boards I've bought new have been shrink wrapped.

The board itself is in a sealed anti-static bag, and the accessories are generally in sealed bags too. If they've been opened or the seals broken, then it could well be a returned product.

You'd be better off buying from a proper computer retailer rather than PC World. Try somewhere like Dabs or Komplett. I've bought from both companies several times and have had no problems with them.

You'll probably also find their prices are better than PC Worlds as well.

3. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'd actually disagree with this as the returns procudure, specifically for Dabs is completely rubbish.

If you have a fault, or incompatibility PCWorld will exchange or refund without fuss. Never dealt with Komplett but Dabs will make you apply for an RME (returns number), which once they've issued you need to use to send the product back (at your expense I believe). One the good are returned it take quite a while, sometimes weeks for them to accept there is a fault and send out a replacement. I had to buy another HDD elsewhere because I couldn't wait for the Dabs returns service and in the end dealt directly with Seagate over my warranteed replacement.

From what I've heard eBuyer have a very good returns reputation though.

Mark.

4. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks guys.

Guess I'm just paranoid about new stock. The two faulty boards I had were all nicely sealed inside the box, but then I thought, hang on, anyone with some fancy bags can make anything look new.
    I take on board what your saying Bursar, but I always like to deal over the counter if I can, even if it costs just that little extra. That said, I don’t think PCW would be my first choice of counters. Mark, your Seagate experience is exactly what would happen to me I'm sure... I'm jinxed. Might take a look at eBuyer though.

It would be nice though if all product boxes were security sealed from new... but then again, anyone with a shrink wrapper and a copy sticker could do it... Dam paranoia :suicide:

Seriously, got to buy soon, so third time lucky???