1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Mission m3ds as good as it gets for surrounds?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jrpavel, Apr 28, 2004.

1. jrpavel

jrpavel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Proac Hexa fronts and was dissatisfied with 2005.2 Eggs as surround backs + rears (4 on the back wall, well behind the listening position; I dont want to hang anything on the side walls): they seemed to create a separate sound stage from the fronts, even after YPAO equalization. I attributed this to their directionality and am testing bipole Mission m3ds surround backs. These seem much better in that they don't seem to create a separate soundfield. They sound very diffuse and laid back (as some reviews suggested they would). Interestingly, the YPAO equalisation is much flatter than with the Eggs, which required a significant taming of the upper frequencies, presumably partly because I have large flat reflective walls.

I have considered other rear surround options:

- more Hexas: expensive, and even more directional than the Eggs

- M&K speakers: 4Ohm and described in various reviews as harsh / unrefined, which is what I want to avoid.

It seems as if bipoles are the way to travel. Before I say snap to the Missions, are there other options that might have a little more punch without losing the unified sound field? How are the various Jamos, for example?

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    I went from mission m7ds to m/k k-4s rears which sound much better than the missions,Try and get a demo, for movies the m&k range sound superb and to my ears are very hard to beat and have never suffered harshness with movies, though they can sound clinical with music.
    Cheers Gonzo.:)

3. jrpavel

jrpavel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. The m5ds are supposed to be an advance on the m7ds, if I have understood.

What difference will 4Ohm speakers make when all the other speakers are 8Ohm? My Yamaha has a setting for 6Ohm speakers, but does not mention 4Ohms.

Has anyone seen M&K speakers for demo in central London?

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,528
    kef eggs are monopole, and the mission's are di/bi pole, which would explain their behaviour.