1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are magazine reviewers right?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by spocktra, Dec 8, 2004.

1. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Regarding the new breed of 100htz tvs, I think they all should be tested/compared to older models possibly even 50htz .That would give the reading public more of an idea what to expect.Of coures you can go and view them yourself but as we all know most shops have the kind of signal quality my nans nan had.Although i am very pleased with my new 32zp48 i dont think it comes near my 5 year old sony 50htz.I should have looked into this before jumping in head first[pushed by a lot of magazine articles].Sometimes technology goes backwards-look at concord!

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Apart from innaccuracies or glaring omissions in some articles, I feel the way of portraying conclusions is very much open to confusion. When marking a product out of say 5 stars, it is not clear what these are being compared with. And 5 stars one year can be a 3 star product the next. And that is not even taking into account a 5 star budget item with say a 3 star high end one. Is it possible to give a star rating comparing one technology or generation with another?

3. allengn

allengn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Plus remember that the models the reviewers see bear hardly any resemblence to what you or I buy in the shop. They will have been professionally set-up to provide the optimum picture, as opposed to the 'default' settings we get.

Also, who knows what other 'incentives', free TV's, videos etc. get given to the reviewers.

I read all the reviews before I brought a new set (which was a forced purchase following the terminal demise of my previous TV), but I do have to agree that, when fed a quality signal, my Ferguson 14" portable that I bought 18 years ago still produces a perfectly acceptable picture quality, which is at least equal to todays equivalent boxes.

4. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    That sounds like the perfect job for TG!

Where do I apply, please?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

5. builder

builder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    En Oh = No !!!

Do they buy an off the shelf product ? NO.

Does a manufacturer supply the product ? YES.

Does the Magazine rely on income from advertising ? YES

Do you see things the same as me ? No

What should you trust ? Only yourself

Regards

builder

6. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Magazines can give an indication as to the features and how it performed but it is usually only one persons views.

Some magazines such as Sterophile used to seek assistance from the manufacturer if they encountered problems, which is reasonable, or one or two would get the dealer or manufacturer to setup the equipment, again reasonable. Stereophile always reported these issues in the articles as did many other magazines. It has been quite a few years since I stopped reading HiFi magazines so the situation may be different these days.

7. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All reviews are subjective. We all see and hear different things. Sometimes I look at a review after seeing a product for myself and wondered if the reviewer had ever heard or seen the product because they talk about features the thing never had in the first place! So I do take reviews with a pinch of salt, especially if they really rave about the product. I'll take a few notes of things they found good or bad and look/listen for them myself when I go to audition the product.

They can be useful in some ways, but personally there's noting like doing a bit tof research (looking at forums like this for instance!) then getting out there yourself and doing your own reviewing.

8. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Nothing beats a demo of the product you want to buy. You can read all the reviews you want to, but in order to make an informed decision , a demo is the way to go. Most good dealers and home cinema speciallists will let you demo the equipment. This includes hifi , plasma, television, and projectors.
    As its already been said, you are the one that is going to be watchnig or listenening to the thing, so you need to see and hear it for your self. Just use the reviews as a ruff guide, and then go a hunting in the av jungle ;)

9. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Its very fustrating. you buy a magazine to try and help you narrow down your choice of products to find they dont even agree with each other!

getting a decent demo can also be difficult on any product. TVs look awful in a shop withh loads of light. Monsterous speakers sound fantastic in a huge demo room but terrible when you get them into your tiny living room (mine anyway!)

10. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I use reviews to get an idea of the product,then you NEED to SEE it YOURSELF! People who purchase online going by a review and nothing else must be mad. The problem is getting to SEE the product with a decent aerial feed is almost impossible-how can these retailers expect to sell a £1K+ TV with a picture like the one you used to get when on holiday in Wales?!(No offence to Wales,and for people who have never been to some places of Wales the picture is a bit "poor"!!!)

11. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I did and i am mad,mad with myself.Just too impulsive ,see it got to have it attitude.Rubbish brain alert.

12. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You purchased without viewing one? :nono:

13. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Yep.

14. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    The problem seems to be that we all want a bargain, but that doesn't necessarily mean the lowest price.

Having a demo in a PROPER tv/video/hi-fi dealer is clearly the most sensible approach.

But then it hurts to pay full whack compared to an internet trader.

So, reading the magazine reviews can be a good compromise.

As with all things in life, you tend to get what you pay for. :lesson:

15. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I am going to keep my tv for about 3 years.If things havnt changed in the 100htz market i will have to have a serious rethink.Seems there is a war going on between the top brands to create the best detail and definition on screen.This as we all know has its flaws mostly on darker images.Let us hope the manufacturers listen a bit more to joseph public and not to the glossy magazines.