1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Loewe TVs (CRT models) still worth the money?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by NicolasB, Feb 14, 2005.

1. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    A couple of years ago Loewe sets were very much all-the-rage around here. Are they still regarded as being good value for money, or have other manufacturers now passed them by in quality and/or value terms?

(Note that I'm considering conventional CRT televisions only for the purposes of this thread.:) )

2. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    On a side note-who makes the tubes for these TV's??

3. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Oh yes... and some bargains to be had now.
    I have a Loewe Vitros and would buy another if anything happened to it. It is still the best picture and you can pick up the Vitros 6381 32" for about £1000 now as I think this model has been discontinued. It looks ace too :)

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    I believe some tubes are Phillips and some are Toshiba - I recall some discussion a year or two ago about how some Aconda TVs had a Phillips tube and some a Toshiba tube, and that it was worth trying to get hold of one with a Phillips tube if you could because the picture was better....

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    £1000 isn't very much more than one would pay for a new Mimo or Nemos from www.tvandvideodirect.com

Mind you, I never could figure out what the hell the difference is between different Loewe models. :mad: (Loewe's website is the most useless and confusing website ever - designed with the philosophy that it is vitally important not to tell the customer anything that might conceivably allow him to make an informed purchasing decision).

6. bounce

bounce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I agree totally with the comments on the Loewe website - it is very high on the "lifestyle" side of their products while hiding away all the tecchie stuff that you really want to know.

I bought an Aconda CRT TV a couple of weeks back and think that the Loewe has the best picture of any CRT TV that I looked at - and I looked at a few! I think it will be even better when I get a chance to tweak the settings with DVE (or get a proper pro calibration done).

Looks great when switched off too which means it has high Wife/Girlfriend Acceptance Factor which is more than can be said for a lot of CRT TVs that are really just big grey boxes

7. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope so, I've just ordered one. The problem is getting a delivery date. Oh well, half the pleasure is in the waiting.

Bazza

8. peckhamlad

peckhamlad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    definitely! aesthetics and the best picture for the money
    LCD still too grey, plasmas pricy for the same quality picture.
    The only let down is the size/dimensions of a CRT

9. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    now a little while ago I heard that loewe had been taken over or at least partly by another company ( I think sharp). Thier quality controll recently has also been called in to question. I have had 2 loewe nemos sets and both have had major problems. :eek:

10. peckhamlad

peckhamlad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't know that DS. and must admit its a dissappointment and most likely explains the problems on the nemos. but the Acondas and Vitros are superb not sure about the Mimos

11. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

Ok, here is the thread post from quite a large thread I started about the nemos,
    With in the post is a link to the news about sharp taking a stake in Loewe.
    I know it is slightly off topic but it may help peole to decide if that want to but a loewe these days.

AH, the fun off owning a loewe tv

12. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Although the Vitros is not listed on the Loewe site, there are loads of places still selling the Vitros 6381ZW model. When I first got mine it was so sharp it almost looked 3D!! and took a while to get used to it :D

Anyway piccy of mine below. Didnt go for the Vitros stand as it is pants. Made my own up - got the toughened glass cut to size(1 x 10mm and 2 x 8mm) and got Optimum to sell me the legs separately.. so I got the size and shape I wanted at half the price :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

13. dultanur

dultanur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that Loewe is still an excellent choice. I have an Aventos 3981ZW and I also had difficulty in getting used to the sharpness and contrast of the picture!

One negative side of this is low quality broadcasts look quite noisy. But I guess that would happen with all modern TVs.

BTW, DS did you get another Nemos or changed to a different brand?

14. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

Bought a panasonic Viera 37" plasma instead :smashin:

I put up with the problems on the second nemos for about 2 months and thought enough was enough. I sold it to a freind (who knew about the faults , but did not care :eek: ) Then bought the plamsa from av sales :smashin:

15. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi David-Sheekey,

To be fair to the Loewe I do remember reading you said it had one of the best pictures your seen on any TV. You only had a problem with the Geometry and a purplish mark down both sides, that in your own words was getting better. How do you rate your Plasma picture quality against a standard CRT?

Bazza

16. Brainboy

Brainboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had a 32" AVENTOS briefly and returned it because horizontal straight lines were bendy - I decided not to seek replacement or repair as Loewe have stopped making CRT's so even if you get a 5 year guarantee, or buy one, getting a replacement tube or other parts will be a problem. I think the reason there are loads of good Loewe deals out there is because all Loewe CRTs are now last stock of discontinued lines!

Incidentally I found the 100Hz processing on my Aventos unbearable for sport and am now thinking of a model where you can switch it off, or a 50Hz set.

17. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That means if you have a decent warranty like the one Barclaycard give out and your Loewe does go faulty and it can't be repaired then you get the money for a new TV based on an equivalent spec.

Bazza

18. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

Yes you are right, but it also had the dirty screen effect and a screen distortion on both the left and right hand side that made anything moving across the screen, or a fast camera pan, look like it was being displayed in a fish bowl :eek:

The picture I would say was better than the plasma I have now, but the plasma does not have any of the above faults :thumbsup:

The sad thing is unless you are very lucky , any display you watch will have some short falls. You have to decide! :thumbsup:

19. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply M8,

I tried out a Loewe Aventos last year and really liked it but then ended up with a Philips 32PW9509. The wife didn't like the shape of the Loewe. Anyway, the Philips has a faulty scart socket and Comet have given me a refund after a year. As I've always been in two minds to whether I made the right decision I decided to get a Nemos just to settle my curiosity. I will say one thing, if the Loewe is not up to the job I'll be straight back to the Philips with or without is faults. That's how good I think it is. The halo effect is there on some material but you get used to it and don't worry about it after a while. Well the Loewe arrives on Monday so fingers crossed. Just for the record, this will be the 13th set in a year, and funny enough that's my lucky number.

Bazza :D

20. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    13 :eek: :eek: :eek:

hopefully your loewe will be ok. let us know. ( dont go looking for faults though because you will never be happy ;) )

21. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep 13,

I started of at JL with a couple of PD30s and a Toshiba PF2 and then moved on to Comets 7 day home trail. They used to allow you to have three TV's but this wasn't assigned to your home address just your credit card so once your had your three sets you just moved on to a different credit card to order your next three. I went through all the top end sets at the time and concluded that the betters ones (Well the ones I liked )were either the Loewe or the Philips. I must say thought all of them had some fault or other and not one was Perfect. The only reason I'm going back to the loewe is the fact that I'm trying to get that more natural picture as the Philips can over cook some material. Having said that the Philips can look absolutely stunning fed the right stuff, and this is not just DVD. Well, if I can find some way of picking it up today then I will or its £35 and get it on Monday. I know the Philips box wouldn't fit in the back of the car so no dealt the Loewe wont either.
    Anyway, I'll let you know how things go.

22. lemming

lemming
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a Loewe Aconda for 22 months now, I think the picture quality is great, however, the reliability is not good as it is about to go away for repair for the second time :thumbsdow

23. crooksm

crooksm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my Aconda for three years now - not had a single problem (touch wood)... :rolleyes:

24. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    I've rather gone off the idea of a Loewe TV now, anyway. :)

I got interested in them (again) when I noticed a couple of places selling Vitros TVs for £800, but I've lost interest since then, partly because I simply cannot find anyone who is able (or willing!) to tell me whether or not the Vitros is really the same spec as the Aconda 9381 was prior to the addition of the hard disk recorder, and partly because it looks as though Sky HD is going to be upon us rather sooner than I had originally assumed it would, so I've got more interested in something that will be compatible with it....