Are local cinemas digital or film?

joner7777

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Having built a home cinema and got used to what a good digital projector can do i visited a local Scotts cinema Yesterday .(Not been for years)!
The picture was very good with depth of colour and good resolution .
The sound was OK but not a lot better than what i use.
I use a Panasonic PT AE 6000 projector.

I may be bit out of date with modern times but is it digital or 35mm film they use?

I think pretty much all cinemas nowadays will be digital only projection. All my local multiplexes are.

All first run cinemas (Those that show films on initial release as opposed to "art house" or more occasional facilities) are now digital, as virtually no current 35mm prints are now available in the UK. The main lab that used to produce them has now been demolished and only occasional 70mm prints are now produced - usually in the 'States for use in the handful of cinemas able to play them.

Some cinemas have updated their audio systems - Christie Vive or Meyer Acheron are two of the better systems now being fitted, but the cost runs into around £50K for even an average theatre and whereas the industry subsidised the fitting of new projection equipment, they are not quite so forthcoming when it comes to audio!!

Our local fleapit has full NEC Xenon 4K 3D projection and looks stunning, while the audio is a 40 year old Crown / Altec Lansing horn loaded system - powered from 5 x stereo 150W / channel amps!

Most cinemas have RCF or JBL systems, with around 700W - 2KW of total available power. Bearing in mind the legal limits on audio levels, this is just about sufficient, but hardly up to the level we expect for home cinema, with the dynamic range often being more compressed than we get at home.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom