Are LEDs now better than Plasma in 2016?

TVGuyOnInternet

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 50" Plasma and am looking to get a bigger TV.

I've done some Googling and can't find any decent discussion on the topic from this year, so was just wondering what people think about the LED v Plasma debate?

Now that plasmas are no longer available, a lot of people on here would have made the switch from plasma to LED relatively recently.

If anyone could give their opinion on how a modern LED stacks up against a plasma I would be most appreciative. Many thanks. :)

( My plasma is a Panasonic UT50 from 2012. So mid range-ish for the time )

Last edited:
You will never get a concensus on this so the best thing to do is go into a shop and have a good long look at light and dark footage and judge for yourself.

Led has come on in the last few years in terms of screen uniformity and motion resolution but in my experience you need a top of the range model to really experience what it's capable of.

No. LED is stillway behind plasma, they still suffer from light bleed, clouding and discolouration when plasma never did. If you are used to a plasma TV, OLED is the only option.

No, LEDs still cant match the last great plasmas.

It's different.

I switched from Plasma to OLED as the black levels were important to me. Took me awhile to adjust to the motion which was different. It's not perfect in all areas but I prefer it to the plasma I had.

I think you adjust as well. A couple of weeks with a TV and you get used to them too

LEDS looked a bit washed out when I changed. But if I wasn't watching in a dark room then LED would have been fine. Thing is you now have 4k and HDR which skews the playing field.

It's difficult but to get a real feel, it maybe best to let people know where you are based to see if you can go round to a few peoples houses and have look at TV's in situ (or go to a good dealer). Looking at them in general shops can be a nightmare as they are playing under terrible lighting with special demo material

I think different is the operative word, I had a Panasonic VT20 Plasma which was great, I now have a Samsung KS7500. When I first turned it on & went to the advised best mode (Movie) I was disappointed as colours were so unnatural Blue was so vivid & Green grass looked nothing like. However after a few minutes tweaking in the colour space & Gamma I was blown away & now feel it's a real improvement! & 4K HDR is mind blowing. Motion was initially a bit crap until I turned off all motion handling now it's fine.

Black levels with local dimming on low is also superb.

Having come from a plasma to an LCD I can honestly say that if you get a high end LCD then you will be blown away by the better contrast, lighting etc. Now high end being the operative word. I went through 5 different lcd tvs from Sony to LG and finally settled with the Samsung KS9000 model which I have to say is superb before I was happy. If you get a good panel then great but if you don't then be prepared to play the swappsy game. If you can afford it then get an Oled but even they have their issues.

I have switched from a 50 inch VT50 to a 65 dx902b and am delighted. I now have 4k, HDR and amazing black/brightness/contrast levels. If there is light bleed it is not on my set/settings. My wife now has the VT in her room and I prefer us watching my new 65 by a mile.

4K Bluray with HDR on this set is a sight to behold. My trusty VT could never get close to this peak brightness and proper black IMO.

But as others will tell you go see for yourself, but I love it.

I have switched from a 50 inch VT50 to a 65 dx902b and am delighted. I now have 4k, HDR and amazing black/brightness/contrast levels. If there is light bleed it is not on my set/settings. My wife now has the VT in her room and I prefer us watching my new 65 by a mile.

4K Bluray with HDR on this set is a sight to behold. My trusty VT could never get close to this peak brightness and proper black IMO.

But as others will tell you go see for yourself, but I love it.

Proper black ? Can only be seen on oled.
Its the worst off angle tv ive come across when i seen it on a shootout rivalled against other 4k leds and oleds. It was really bad just a slight movement to the right and the picture had gone.

Proper black ? Can only be seen on oled.
Its the worst off angle tv ive come across when i seen it on a shootout rivalled against other 4k leds and oleds. It was really bad just a slight movement to the right and the picture had gone.

I am comparing it to plasma. Local dimming means at the end of a movie the room and screen goes completely black. The plasma still puts a hefty glow in the room. You are correct on the angles on these panels though, my cinema set up puts us right in front of it so no problem. If you view from and angle then a VA panel is no good for you. Having lived with various VT plasma's over the years i love what this TV has done to my viewing experience.

Thanks,

When I visit my mother's house who has a 720p Panasonic plasma I can see it still delivering a fantastic SD performance that I just don't see on LCD's even top end models in store. Apart from their brilliant SD performance and fluid motion I'm more than happy with LCD. I don't really watch SD channels nowadays. I don't have a tv license for one thing. My tv is used 60% internet (web browsing, video, music), 30% gaming and 10% movies and tv programmes from the internet that have been downloaded or streamed from various services. I have an old Hitachi alis panel plasma upstairs which I'm currently not using. Hope to set it up permanently in one bedroom once a room is re-decorated.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom