1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are LCD's Reliable?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by RGP, Oct 27, 2005.

1. RGP

RGP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Is it worth getting a extended guarantee on LCD tv’s, had my crt Sony FQ75 for 5 years now & touch wood its been fine, lucky I did not bother with getting the guarantee extended, so what about these new type of tv’ panels?

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I don't think that there is anything inherrently unreliable in an LCD TV over a CRT for instance. If anything it is potentially more reliable as the screen is solid state. They do have backlights but these are stated as running for many tens of thousands of hours. In a well designed display these would be servicable items anyway.

My personal view with extended warranty's is to put the money in a high interest savings account then after 5 years hopefully you can spend it on something nice. Insurance policies are normally a gamble (yes I know some are mandatory) weighted heaviliy in favor of the insurance company ... they are normally quids in unless some form of global catastrophy occurs ... unlikely in the case of an LCD TV and in which case they would probably use some clause (act of god etc) not to payout anyway.

If you do have kids it may be worthwhile making sure you have accidental damage on your home insurance. There have been one or two cases of localised screen damage caused by heavy objects being hit hard against the screen. I am not saying that the screens are fragile, but for peace of mind I think it is worth it.

3. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want one, make sure you buy it from somewhere like warranty direct or some other third party.

You pay something like 25% tax extra buying a warranty from the retailer.

So it's always cheaper to geta warranty elsewhere.

4. po_man

po_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Also, if you decide to buy an LCD panel, try seeing if you can get it from John Lewis because they offer a free 5yr guarantee on all of their screens. If you've seen the screen that you want in another local store at a cheaper price, then John Lewis offer a price matching service which is well worth trying.

5. RGP

RGP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Few years back my mum got a 32" FQ70, we tried to match it with my local John Lewis (WGC) to Hispek, but they said they were offering a 5 year guarantee & as Hipek's did not they could not match it, maybe nowadays they might do it regadless of this?

6. Jim Barry

Jim Barry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a word of warning - you might find LCD a bit disappointing after a TV of the FQ75's calibre. I just got a Sharp LC37P50E which is supposed to be the best LCD available for standard-def, but it still doesn't measure up to my old KV-32FQ75. It's not so much that LCD is bad, I suppose it's just that it's less forgiving than CRT of poor quality sources such as Freeview. DVD looks pretty good though. As for your question, LCDs are pretty reliable so I think you'd be wasting your money on an extended guarantee.

7. RGP

RGP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Should be ok,barly watch any tv (more of a backround thing when I get in from work, hence why I still use VHS), the set will be maily used for dvd's & games.

As for the FQ75, nice set still, my mum still prefers the picture over her FQ70! shame as when it goes it will be going for a fraction of what it cost me! but at least the stand will come in handy, hopefully the glass will take the LCD on it?

8. RGP

RGP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    What is 1:1 Mapping anyway, the JVC LT32DS6 does not have it, is it a feature worth not caring about?