1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are LCDs child-proof ?!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by AlexR, Jun 26, 2005.

1. AlexR

AlexR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

We would like to buy either a 28" or 32" LCD TV. We have a 2 year old daughter that likes to touch the screen with her fingers. Will the LCD survive such mis-use? Any comments appreciated.

Any thoughts on a good TV would be appreciated. We plan to link it up to the Telewest PVR when released and a DVD player. We currently have an analogue aerial signal.

Alex

2. CosmoKramer79

CosmoKramer79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it certainly depends how roughly she handles the screen... If she just touches it litely, I cant imagine it'll cause a huge problem. My nephew has got the same idea, and our Philips flatscreen hasnt suffered any damage (knock on wood). You could also consider wall mounting the screen and voila - problem solved!

3. mooseepoo

mooseepoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    TBH I wouldnt say that LCD screens are child proof, especially if children like to poke and prod the screen. If a screen is pushed hard enough in one place then the pixels can become damaged and you get things such as Stuck or Defective pixels.

Also, if you look at screens like the new Samsung model, its black plastic surround shows fingermarks quite badly. Its the same sort of plastic used on the new Sony PSP if you have had a chance to see one of those in the flesh!

4. AlexR

AlexR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any suggestions on which models would best suit my need? eg resistant to a little finger pressing by my daughter.

Alex

5. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    by their nature they won't be, mount it out of harm's way. Though I confess to being worried it won't survive flying toys.....

6. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I am wary of my screen, but I did talk to a Sharp rep as a show and he said that screens were more hardy than they look. He then proceeded to bang, bash and prod a LCD panel very vigorously - whilst it blinked and gave a multicolour rainbow effect at the points of impact, no permanent damage appeared to have been done - none the less, all I can say is that I was glad it was not mine. He then went on to say that he knows of LCD's that are fitted in prisons and survive the odd Coke can being thrown at them (I don't know if they are full of not) however I suspect that these claims are more marketing hype than technically proven.

So I don't think that LCD's are as fragile as they would appear, but I would still mount it so that knocks and prods were infrequent. Especially where it could be stand mounted and it could potentially topple.

Even though my display was originally stand mounted, I wall mounted it in the same position as my little one got within reach of the panel. The advantage of this was to allow the panel to be closer to the wall and the cupboard beneath to be pulled forward. It was also rock solid but then so was the stand although I guess if it was used to climb up it may have toppled. The wall mount moved the panel about 6" further out of harms way but whilst it is slowly moving back within reach when a toy is in his hand, he can understand not to hit it. Full story here. My son seems to love standing infront of the screen, pointing at characters, holding on and dancing. If the screen was further away/higher, he would not have so much fun.

-Ian

7. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    If you don't have a particular budget in mind, the Loewe Spheros has a tough glass panel infront of the screen. I don't know what they retail at now but it is a quality screen which commands a premium price (about £600 more than the equivalent Loewe Xelos SL version).

-Ian

8. drskhaled

drskhaled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    If you cant wall mount, like me, then check how stable the base is and buy a tv cabinet taller than you child.

9. Italights

Italights

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the thomson range have a tough glass panel over them as well