1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

are lcd tvs the future?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by zamwessell, Aug 30, 2003.

1. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Does anyone think lcd tvs are the way to go rather than plasma?
    I currently have a 36" Sony crt wihich i am happy with at the moment.I am hoping Sony release a 50" lcd set sometime in the future.Would it be worth waiting for? Thanks.

2. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think that most of the electronics manufacturers see LCD as the future and they are doing all they can to make that the reality. However I think we're about 3 generations away from screens that look as good as todays plasmas. Sony have a stunning 60 inch plasma, they have one in the new Sony Centre at TCR in London, its big but the picture is average IMO.

Regards,
    Neil.

3. Lydecker

Lydecker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do you mean 60 inch plasma or LCD?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Sharp 37" LCD is as good as panny 37PW5 for most most stuff Samsung have a 42" LCd and others are on their way Plasma have too many draw backs for Joe bloggs and with DSG telling everyone they need to gas their plasma after 18 months looks like plasma may sink away. Commercial plasma have got too 90" that is the largest direct veiw display ever made i think.... But LCD willl replace tube for domestic TV's for HC plasma will live on.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    My vote goes to LCD long term, I don't see Plasma a long term thing

6. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Ok,thanks everyone.I will patiently wait for bigger and better lcd tvs.

7. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

Someone came into my shop and said that DSG had told them that plasmas had to be gassed every HOUR!!!!! :eek:

Well it amused me anyway! :rotfl:

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Every hour? I'd have hung about in the shop to see what they did! Must have been fascinating. Of course one of the advantages of plasma is ower power consumption and lower maintenance than CRT. They do seem pretty reliable, with one or two exceptions.

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    I'd put my money on LCD, over Plasma. That's not to say, though, that some other technology won't come along that supersedes everything else. LED anyone?

10. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +637
    To me the problem with LCD is not size (37" is big enough for me) but picture quality. I have yet to see an LCD (including Sharp 30/37"/Sony 30"/Philips new 30") that can give a decent picture quality with digital TV or dark scenes on DVD. However, given how much LCD has improved in its past couple of generations I feel sure that LCD will close the gap with plasma over the next year or so.

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Contrast is the problem, absolutely. Lcd screens curently manage 5-600:1 in the smaller sizes, and even the good big ones are only making 400:1. But LCD projectors were there 2 years ago, and now realistically do 1500:1, and a few claim much more, so you know it's going to happen. But still another technology could take over, Not sure whether a recent thread was a spoof or not, on nanotechnology. It was reported in the US press, and not the national enquirer. Plasma is the current king of the large screen though, no serious rival yet, and that comes from a projector user.

12. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I think LCD has some advantages over plasma. No screen burn, lasts longer and cheap to replace backlight, very light in weight, silent in operation, very little heat output (which I assume means it needs less power).

The only problem is PQ at the mo. Personally, I'm into audio and the PQ is not crucial but I understand that others are the opposite.

I reckon LCD will supercede plasma soon but, like others have siad, something could come along that blows both away.

13. manc

manc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I looked at lcds when buying my plasma ans the 1 thing that put me off is the viewing angle restrictions.

May be ok for home cinema but as a day to day telly i couldnt have used one.

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That's another area that improvements are being made in, LG and Samsung lag behind Sharp and the top end of the market in that respect, the new sharps quote 170 degrees, not borne out by experience though!

15. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    if were looking at what were going to get in the future, then LED displays will walk over everything.
    They run cold , are energy efficient, have v high contrast, can be put out in v large display units and are now starting to be utilised into hardware (i forget the camera back panel its already in) So give it a couple of years and thats where my moneys going

16. nsl2178

nsl2178

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you talking about flat panel lcds or just lcds in general? If so I do not know if you guys got Circuit Citys in the UK but I work at one in the U.S. and we have a 50" Sony LCD that is $3999, 60" Sony for $4999, 50" Panasonic for $2999,,,,,,and also DLPs are becoming quite popular we have one by Samsung that comes in 42", 50"and 60"and is from $3499 to $4999. All are about 17"deep

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You're talking about rear projection? There is a forum for people who like 'em fat, the idea here is about slim & sexy

18. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    My vote is also on O-LED displays, they should blow all current systems out of the water.

19. Gregorski

Gregorski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This appears to be a common misconception. I don't know what LCD's you saw, but the Sharp 30" LCD has perfect viewing angle in both planes, and Philips 30" quote 175 degrees in boths planes. Higher than their plasma models.

Viewing angle is no longer a problem.... Unless of course you are talking about the rear projection units which do have dreadful viewing angles

20. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

Now I know that these tottally different, but the huge LED screens that are used at concerts, public displays etc. have very patchy solid colour.

Would this problem crop up with home LED screens?:confused:

21. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

22. neomoz

neomoz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess it all depends on the advancements plasma will make in the future, if engineers figure out ways to increase pixel density, reduce burn-in and cost, lcd's will have a hard time competing. Generally though I think the short commings of lcd's are fixable, especially since a lot of R&D is being done on the technology across all sizes and markets. Some of the newer lcd screens I've seen do show a lot of promise and each new display I see you can see them getting quite progressively better, i'm especially keen to see the new 1080p 50+ inch models. Plasma advancement on the other hand has slowed down a bit, with each new gen only offering small improvements over the last. At the current rate I see plasma having a market for around 5 years, then I think it will be overtaken my LCD and then LCD will have to fight for it's survival against OLED.

23. scottcr

scottcr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what's the dead-pixel issue like with LCD monitors...

I've got a dead pixel on my 17" PC monitor and I can just about ignore it, but, on a TV image... it would drive me mad.

24. mid_gen

mid_gen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've had my Sharp LC-30HV4E for a while now, I'm very pleased with it.

It does struggle with blacks vs plasma, but it's quiet, light and has excellent viewing angles.

I've taken a shot to try and illustrate the viewing angle, 170degrees is pretty accurate imo. The picture becomes far too stretched to watch well before you lose any pq. There is very slight banding on the vertical as you move, but it's barely noticable.

[​IMG]

25. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would you please comment on the moving objects quality (lagging pixels), e.g. watching football or other sports. Is there an "streaking" noticeable ?

Thanks

26. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

On the Sharp 30 inch I've seen, it's very noticable even on small amounts of movement. :(

27. mid_gen

mid_gen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've used my sharp 30" as a monitor and played (fast-paced)games on it, there's very little ghosting. It's equally good on RGB. I've not had a chance to run the component feed from my tosh dvd player into it yet though. There is ghosting there, but very very faint, and only on fast moving scenes.

Compared to plasmas I have demoed, the sharp 30" more than holds it's own in response times (ghosting).

The only thing that lets it down in my opinion is a lack of contrast in darker scenes.

28. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx. Would still be interested to hear how it works with a DVD.

What do you mean with lack of contrast in dark scenes, lack of detail, everything getting black ? (This would be very annoying to me, I had such a picture years ago on my Sony, I hated it).

Nice evening

29. AndyX

AndyX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I had another look at the Philips LCD 30pf9975 30" today.

I have looked at a lot of different TVs over the last few weeks to replace my ailing back projection set. In terms of picture quality this set is the best I have found. It has lots of connectors including 4 scarts (2 RGB), vga connection and progressive scan. I will even be able to play the new Microsoft high definition clips I have dowloaded from the internet (1080i).

I think the only thing I may miss is the 54" size of my present set. If only Philips did a slightly bigger LCD set........

30. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    LCD's are no where near as close on image lag as plasma. I did a huge test looking for an LCD but image lag even on 16ms models was just too bad. Particularly playing FPS like Halo or Metroid.

Neil.