Are Jessops Mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by timus, Dec 29, 2006.

1. timus

timus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    During the Christmas break i had been looking for the battery grip for my 350d went into my Local Jessops they had it in stock for £129!!!!!!!:eek: You have got to be kidding, scoured the internet and found park cameras they had the grip in stock for £80!!! yes 80quid so no hesitation i ordered that and an extra battery for the grand total of £124.98.

I shall be definatley using park cameras again very reasonable prices, they even rang me up to say that the delivery company hadn't picked the parcel up so it would be coming a day later, very good stopped me from sitting in all day waiting.

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    Alternatively you can get Jessops to do their 110% pricematch against either the company you have used or Camera World (£79 - I know they will include camera world as it is a store just off oxford street). Then buy 2 extra batteries from ebay for £10 so total cost of £85.... I know it is tempting me at the moment :) (already have some generic batteries bought from ebay and they last longer than the official canon one)

3. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    I got my battery grip for £69 :D

Link

4. redmax

redmax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Looks like you got a bargain 'cos if you follow your links now it has gone up to £89.99 :)

5. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    It went down to £70 odd ...perhaps when demand was lower due to the owners of 350D having already got one:

Demand for it seems to be up again because the 400D uses it as well and people have come to realise it get rids of the "dinky body " feel for not much.
    It also allows use of an extra batterry and AA adaptor: Mine is pemanently on the 350D

But £129 is simply undefendable: Even when it was just newly out I got the Canon model for £90 and the retailer gave me a 256Mb Compact flash card for my custom:)

6. sivraj494

sivraj494

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have to say that Park Cameras are very good. I live near to both of their stores in Sussex. I use them regularly, whether it's actually buying stuff or just getting advice.

Their customer service is very good, and they actually know what they are talking about as opposed to Jessops.

7. john key

john key

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I was waiting to se how much I spent at Christmas before buying my next lens, the Sigma 10-20 DC EX. Didn't do too badly, so yesterday toddled off to Jessops, and lo and behold, the price had gone from £318 at the beginning of December to £370 yesterday! Other companies are still offering this lens at the low end of 300 quid, so Jessops have just lost another sale. What ARE they playing at?

8. beachy

beachy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    before xmas they had the sigma 70-300mm APO for £179, in the january sale it's gone up to £199, work that one out :confused: perhaps they have some sort of new years resolution to lose sales.

9. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    I found that out too::suicide:

It appears Jessops is "clueless" with their pricing sometimes:confused:
    Thier media card prices are..:blush:

These prices are going down elsewhere:rolleyes:

10. timus

timus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    I get akk my stuff online now and rarely use Jessops except for going in there to pick there brains with any questions or advice i may need, the only real use i have with jessops is there Snapfish online photo service.

11. ush flynn

ush flynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    jessops suppliers are rubbish as ive said here before. Surprisingly they dont have very good buying power. Also last i heard the 110% offer is over. That was on the 22nd, last time i went in to speak to my old boss

12. onefivenine

onefivenine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +616
    I suspect that's directly related to their not very good selling power!

Go somewhere else folks. They hardly run a monopoly over here - but people seem to be obsessed with them! :rolleyes:

(not meaning you Ush - just ab observation of the numerous Jessop-botherers/price-match threads)

13. TerryKK

TerryKK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in Jessops today New Oxford Street,amazing queues for gear,anyway standing there eves dropping (like ya do:D ) to people buying stuff whilst i waited to be served. It amazes me how many people go into any shop come to that and take as gospel what the assistant tells them. Jessops tuck people up no end in store particularly in London as they know they are dealing with tourists. So the pricing you see on the shelves and on the website is for the benefit of the tourists i like to think. For more experienced purchasers its probably fair to say we know better DONT pay it and be careful of walking into a Jessops unarmed with competitive pricing cos for sure you will get tucked up ;)

14. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    Given the discount we get with them (an insurance company) I think they have perfectly fine suppliers. The "problem" is that the stores are franchises (to the best of my knowledge) and so have to buy their stock from their central company which is at an inflated price to what they are paying to the supplier and then have to put their percentage on it again.

Have never known them to have good prices out the shop at all, have only ever bought from them because of their price matching or when getting my corporate discount.

15. ush flynn

ush flynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    astaroth and onefivenine, no really, swains... thier suppliers are pretty useless, its on things like memory cards, batteries and other small accessories that swains dont seem to be able to buy cheaply. I remember i once checked to see how much i could buy a bunch of CR123a batteries for, a simple camera battery, and if bought in bulk they can be had for near enough 40p. Jessops at the time charge 5.99 which is a hell of a markup i know! BUT jessops were buying them at nearly £2 themselves!!

The stores arent franchises remember i used to work for them. Each store doesnt have to worry about what stock they buy, its all worked out up in leicester where the main distribution is from.
    They try schemes to get customers to like them again, 110% price beating, internet price match, sales, freebies, exclusive models (ixus 30, many olympus models, silver 350d's things like that) but it always comes and bites them in the ass as they lose so much money doing it! so every now and again stores are told not to price match or be pretty mean with managers discretion. This is why people have different stories when they go in. Say one store in london wouldnt match a 400d but one in bristol would. Its not because they are franchised and dont communicate but each store usually has to call the area manager on his mobile for each and every little DSLR deal just to get the go ahead.

I wont name bromleys area manager but i didnt hold him in high regard. He would introduce himself to me each month like i had just started even though i was consistently the best seller and was the only person with written customer feedback. The just dont care. He would literally think he was being too generous if he told us we could give the customer a half price jessops brand case with a £500 camcorder!!!

Ill defend Jessops when i can, i dont like the generalisation that the staff know nothing although i do dispair sometimes when i go back to my old shop and i hear the new staff talking to customers!

I try and make it clear how jessops works and why they are so expensive at times (to recoup on losses during the special offer periods... like its been said some people will just buy at list price, and jessops count on it)

But i dont see why people need to come on here and make a thread about it, just ask for a price match, if you dont get it then go elsewhere. Plenty of people have had great deals and great service from jessops on these forums but you rarely get threads made about it!

16. onefivenine

onefivenine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +616
    I do think Jessops could pull in more customers and their selling tactics are rubbish, but to be honest and to give them some credit they never did me any harm - they price-matched my 30D.

I could have bought it online but needed it on the spot - had the urge if you know what I mean, and they agreed to match it so yippee! If they weren't going to match then I would have waited a day for a delivery from warehouse express.

Why some people would wait and watch out for a Jessops price match when they stopped them over a week ago is beyond me when you can get next day delivery from the very places you're asking them to price match.

The "because you can take it back to the shop" argument falls short if you're waiting more than a few days. The item could have been delivered, been found to be faulty, been returned to vendor, and replaced by post by then - say 3 days elapsed time.

And even if you do take an item back to Jessops to be replaced the chances are they won't have a replacement in stock!

Hope you didn't part with them on bad terms Ush. But whichever store/manager you left - it's their loss. :)

17. TerryKK

TerryKK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just to add i pricematched at jessops they were happy to do it for me and all with a smile i have to add :D

18. ush flynn

ush flynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    thanks mate. I didnt leave on bad terms at all really, i asked a customer for a job about an hour after i handed in my notice (handed it in to force myself to find something else) So now that customer is my boss (just as well i gave him a discount beforehand!) and i work in graphic design. Biggest fluke of my life. Id just turned 22 and didnt need to be working there still. Have slightly bigger ambitions and the money is absoluteley rubbish. Could have worked for dixons for at least 25% more!
    I go back in there every month or so to say hello and see how things are getting on, also to check out new gear! and get a look at Swains newsletter to see if anything new is due out! I feel for my old boss though, his hands are tied completely these days

Does anyone remember the store "tecno" ? well thats who i used to work for until jessops took us over. Literally i went in to work one morning and they had changed the sign on the front (but not inside!) and all of a sudden i was getting paid less and could sort good customers out with deals! absolute rubbish!

19. onefivenine

onefivenine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Good for you Ush :thumbsup: You demonstrated courage and self-belief by doing that. Both of those are great virtues in my book. Onwards and upwards! Might be a long slog but you'll get there I'm sure of it. :)

20. rodney_nz

rodney_nz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Im not quite sure how Jessops bases its prices sometimes. I helped a friend shop around for a compact digital a few months ago. Everyone was doing it for around £180 including Dixons but Jessops were doing it for £300!!! Funny that the actual Casio Press release said that it would be released at £230. Anyway they wouldnt price match with a store on Tot Court Road at £160 so eventually didnt buy from Jessops but would have if the price was the same as the aftersales I imagine would be pretty good.
    I guess they inflate their prices due to what was said previously that some people are willing to pay ticket prices and not research prices. I think its also to make their sale prices more impressive as the camera I purchased is now advertised at £150 (was previously £300)

21. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    Again the question comes as... are you talking about the store paying £2 for the item or that Head Office/ "leicester" is paying that and the store more on top? I know having spoken to a number of store managers in my time that we as a company pay Jessops less for items than the stores have to and whilst a company of our size certainly does have significant buying power I very much doubt that Jessops would have agreed a loss making contract. (cant comment on batteries as never even thought of buying them from them)

The stores are very much run like franchises though with them having to "buy" their stock from head office/ leicester at above supplier price.

22. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    I really dont like Jessops pricing.:(

I do think the staff, branches vary in knowledge and degree of helpfulness but as a corporate entity, they are generally polite friendly and helpful (Some even point you to where bargains can be had if they are being uncompetitive).

The occasional staff with poor people skills will treat you as a timewaster if he sees you are not being convinced by their sales talk but to be fair I cringe at the way some customers speak to sales staff

However I dont agree with Ush flynn about not seeing why people should make a thread about Jessops especially as he himself gives a good commentary about the other side of the story for all to read .
    This is a democracy and such threads like this contain posts which give positive and negative experiences:

Maybe Jessops will listen:rolleyes:.... or not : at thier own peril: They are a business after all

Only 2 weeks ago I was going to buy ( for a mate) the Sigma 70-300DG APO lens from them: It was £170 only a month or 2 prior: It is now £199 ( In the Jan Sales :rolleyes: .

Needless to say I wasn't ready to haggle when it was going for £145-150 else where: I hotfooted it and got it there ( within a 3 mile radius)

They just lost (another) Christmas sale and reinforced my belief that they are not keeping up with marketing trends

Having previously bought 4 cameras from them over the years I feel a small twing of sadness that they just don't seem to be good value anymore

So its not a case of:" Dont slag them, just buy elsewhwere if they don't price match"
    I think this thread has it merits, even if Jessops continue not to listen.

23. ush flynn

ush flynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    honestly mate, the stores dont have to worry about stock at all, theres no ordering done or anything like that, if something is sold then its automatically put on the next delivery list but the store doesnt have to worry about buying in new models or how many to buy of what. Its all sorted out at head office.
    The insurance purchase thing is slightly odd, jessops does in deed sell at loss sometimes, this is reflected in the fact that the "staff purchase" price is more than the store price. From what we would see, insurance companies would get quotes from jessops for lost or broken items and jessops would provide them with a few pages of vouchers... not like regular gift vouchers but addressed and numbered vouchers along with a letter to say what it is to replace and a suggested replacement. This would be sold full price using the vouchers as payment. Its not that common for jessops to supply the goods directly to the insurers and if it does happen it never happened in bromley from the store. Considering Churchill/RBS is based at the bottom of the highstreet i thought that if anywhere, bromley was the place it would happen.

Unless your talking about purchase orders, companies could open an account at the store and get everything they need at cost, so jessops wouldnt be making any money there.

But literally i know that jessops sometimes cant buy goods from swains as cheap as people can get them online sometimes! that might sound proposterous but everytime you look at the cost price (what the company buys from swains at) you can see how much of a bum deal they get

24. ush flynn

ush flynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Senu, im not against people having thier views on jessops on the forum at all dont get me wrong. But every little thread every couple of days saying oh jessops wouldnt match my battery grip for £10 less or jessops wouldnt give me discount on this or that seems pointless.
    As far as im concerned then you have done something wrong. Its easy to get jessops to sell you something at a lower price if you approach them correctly. The stores dont want to be seen to overcharge, but at the same time they are under a lot of pressure to keep discounts to a minimum and actually make the company some money. The company itself isnt doing well, as im sure is reflected on thier share pricing (something staff were told to keep schtum about when they decided to float)
    You seem to use my advice of "cant get a pricematch? go somewhere else.." as a negative thing but really. If someone can offer you the same goods at a lower price then whats wrong with using them for once in a while? every business could do with the customers! All of them online places would go bust if EVERYONE walked into jessops with printouts from the web! Im simply saying that jessops is just another company, its not he best shop around... its not the one that every person should use! theres nothing special about it at all anymore.
    People seem to WANT to go to jessops more than they would another store or shop online. But all you ever see is insulting remarks towards the staff or the store for not being able to pricematch. Will it never end? What is it that makes someone read a thread on jessops not price matching... then go and try for themselves and feeling inclined to make an almost duplicate thread about the same subject when they get home? The signs are there! Jessops cant always do it! Whats wrong with just saving yourself the trip... it doesnt seem like any of you call the store beforehand when this is good practise and you can reserve things you want to save yourself any aggro.
    Im gonna get flamed again for this i can see, someone else doesn't agree but thats fine. Perhaps ill hold a lecture on how to shop

25. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Hmm...:rotfl:

I not about to flame you ..:)

I actually agree with you in broad terms: I guess Im just irritated ( actually more disappointed ) that Jessops could do so much better with a little change in marketing practices.

I did actually call up the store by phone .. only to find out the lens I had seen in store earlier on was now almost £50 dearer than the competition and the Staff member I spoke to was being a little inflexible on pricing and suggested the item was in short supply nationwide ( not true) ...
    .So I smiled and went elsewhere.
    The Canon 50mm f1.8 Mk II I similarly recently got 10 days ago for £50 was also £ 89.99 at Jessops and didn't seem to be in stock.

Regarding Pricematching: it seems they encourage you to pricematch but appear to make you feel miserly when you actually do.

I also totally disagree with people being rude to staff as they don't make the policies.
    I would go so far as to say that if you are getting negative vibes from a member of staff .. don't take it as company policy: that indiviual may have issues!!. Just vote with your pocket
    :thumbsup:

26. bodoman

bodoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    Jessops seem to crop a lot in this forum regarding price matching & rude staff and i think there is another issue here that has been overlooked.

I dont think the blame for this is totally down to jessops staff training (assuming they do this) in all walks of life there are rude people and equally rude customers and no company would train their staff to be rude, we are all at the mercy of what mood we are in at a particular time and place.

Also many times on this forum i have seen the following advice " go to jessops and try out the camera first etc, then find the cheapes place you can buy it from" which usually means not from jessops but from an internet only retailer.
    So you can imagine how many times jessops staff have to spend time with a "customer" asking all sorts of questions about a particular camera, knowing full well that the person is not going to buy from him, it would surely affect the the mood of the staff after a day of time wasters.

Also it must be hard for any high st shop, regardless of the product they sell
    to match internet only retailers, who dont have to pay for the lease and rates of a high st store and fitting out the store and employing staff.
    Just think if jessops and other high st camera retailers go to the wall, where are we going to be able to see the cameras etc in the flesh and try them out before buying, all we will be left with would biased reviews from magazines
    and just a picture of the camera to look at.

i am just as guilty, i have bought numerous cameras over the years, more than most probably as we use them a lot at work and i get to buy them as well and every single one has been bought from an internet retailer, usually after checking them out in a high st store first.

Just my thoughts on the subject

27. ush flynn

ush flynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    i totally agree, with the spread and placement of stores they have the most potential. But there is some crazy things going on, like the example you gave of a product going up in price for the sales.

This happened while i was there also and think its to do with the fact that every item isnt looked at for the sales and when the lists come out for price changes it hasnt taken into account that something had already been reduced and thus resets its price. Just massive errors on jessops side.

Warehouse seemed to be a bit of a mess at times, call them up chasing an order and there would be hundreds of an item sitting in warehouse and none in stores, get piles of a camera that isnt selling well and the odd one that would sell same day. They just dont seem to have a clue most times.

The harsh part is on christmas eve you take down all the christmas decorations in store and put up the sale stuff and change the price tickets, replacing one for a higher one is crazy, but like i said... hands are tied.

As badly as the company treats its staff and for how little they get paid, i still have big wishes that jessops could be sorted out properly as now im a customer and very much into photography i want to be able to rely on them for once

28. beachy

beachy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    jessops do get slated a lot on this and other forums i've been on, and i'm also guilty of it myself, it would be a shame to see them go down the pan, particurlarly where i live as there are only 2 camera stores and both are jessops, i don't have a problem with them NOT pricematching i will just buy off the net, my problem is when they say they will and they DON'T, ie in the january issue of digital photo magazine (and probably other camera mags) they are advertising the 110% pricematch deal, but when you phone there not pricematching now, granted all magazines come out a month in advance, but jessops surely must also know this, the least they could do is honour there advert till the end of january, after all they have had to pay for it so what's the point if they don't honour it ? they don't seem to have any consistency across the stores, ok if there going to price match thats fine, and if there not thats also fine, but PLEASE JESSOPS get some uniformity across your stores so people know where they stand.

29. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +637
    Ive not read the whole thread but just wanted to point out that in Jessops window today i saw a 20D, body only for £649:thumbsdow
    They were making a big deal that it was a first come first served deal.
    The mind boggles

30. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125