1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are in-the-box systems really that bad?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Samari, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Samari

Samari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've been doing alot of reading around this and other A/V forums and websites and the general concensus seems to be that people look down on "in-the-box" systems. Is this just a snobby view or are there any real reasons why they are looked down upon.

Surely a system that costs £600 must be very good quality, is it just when compared to a £5000 system that all-in-the-box systems look bad or are they just not much better than the TV's built in audio system?

2. matty2767

matty2767

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    your right. it is like a normal stereo. you can either have seperates or a single box which does everything. obviously the seperates are going to be better as they use more technical and developed components.

it is a personal/financial decision also dependant on your room size. in my opinion there is no point in spending £5k on a system in a small room or if you have neighbours attached.

if on the other hand you want to spend the money then go ahead you wont be disapointed.

3. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i don't believe the size of the room effects your ability to use higher quality equipment, but just needs more careful choice of equipment. For example if you want high quality sound in a small room you wouldn't choose floorstanding speakers but you can still buy high quality small speakers. Within reason the space you have will have no effect with careful kit selection!

4. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I was reluctant to buy an all-in-one system but then I heard the Acoustic Energy Aego P5 and it totally changed my mind. To me it sounds as good as a £1500 system, especially in my small room.

5. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    For me buying a quality seperate system is like owning an Aston Martin and not allowed to drive it, even a lower price all in one can have your neighbours banging on the walls. So unless you have a lot of room you might not get the full potential of separates.

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    It's horses for courses. If you find a single box system that offers what your looking for then give it consideration.