1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are HS10/HS20 Footprint and throw identical.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mark Ward, May 5, 2004.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'm going to get an HS20, but I was wondering whether the footprint and lens are Identical to the HS10?

In other words.. Would I be able to set up a Ceiling mount using a friends HS10 (Hi John!;)) as a template?

I'm trying to get everything ready to just slot the HS20 in when it arrives.

Also, do you think it would have been polite to have asked that friend IF you could do this with his PJ before posting to find out whether it's possible??:devil:

Cheers,

Mark.

2. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    yes mate, they're identical. I recently got an HS20 and it uses the same mount as the HS10 (in every way) :) and lens/throw is the same
    :)

and yes, probably would have been a good idea to ask first ;)

3. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks Steve,

BTW. Seeing as you went from an HS10 to an HS20, how much of an improvement is there to be had going for an HS20 over the HS10? What's the most noticeable improvements?

Cheers,

Mark.

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Decided to have a go at diy then Mark or do you just want a template to delegate or are you actually looking to have someone make it....

5. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Well, I have a mate with an HS10 who came up with a good solution to the distance problem;)

I figure it will be pretty straight forward to put a bar across, then maybe have a bash at the "Ikea table leg" solution, though I'm not sure that'll be stable enough in my room. To be honest I'd rather go for an LMP bracket, but I don't have time to get one custom made and fitted before my little get-together on 15th May.

Any chance I could get a template of the fixing plate from you John?

I want to get the whole thing in place before ordering the HDMI lead and DVI to HDMI converter so I can keep things to the absolute minimum length.

BTW. Is a CC40 filter necessary on an HS20 John? I ask John specifically as he's seen my room. Anywhere I can get a decent one in the UK as my mother-in-law is desperate to get me a birthday prezzie for this Friday?

Cheers,

Mark.

6. malcolm

malcolm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Bought my bracket from LMP. Ordered on tueday arrives on thursday. They can do custom lengths aswell. Should be able to get in before the 15th no probs!

7. malcolm

malcolm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  8. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    My HS10 has a CC30r so you should go at least that or the CC40r for lower black level at the very slight expense of maximum brightness, its not an easy choice but they are only £20 each in plastic, £70-80 in glass I believe.

SRB filters seems to ring a bell as to where I got mine (but it was a while ago and memory fades).

A template is no problem if thats all you need.

9. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Weel, I ordered the HS20 today, rang LMP this morning and left a message for Andy, I emailed him this evening too, but I reckon it's asking a lot to get a custom mount within a few days.

We'll see!:)

Cheers,

Mark.

10. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    most noticeable differences, to me anyway, quieter and brighter across the entire image..I love it :)

11. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Black custom LMP mount will be here Tuesday!:smashin:

<thinks:- I can just imagine the sigh of relief from JohnS ;)>

Mark.

12. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    :smashin:

13. malcolm

malcolm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have my 3 axis LMP mount , its great! very easy to install etc etc.. looks the dogs danglies too.

14. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Had a bit of a setback the last few days... I fell 18ft off the ladder on Sunday, hitting the screen on the way down so I'm a little incapacitated, well retricted in my movements right now.

Nothing broken, just VERY bruised.

Luckily the screen broke my fall, and I was impressed that the 4 little chains I suspended it from to the weight of the screen and my 17st falling on it.

I have my LMP 3 axis mount too, it really does look impressive:) and I also have the DVI & HDMI leads and converter from The Media Factory

Everything here ready, and JohnS's coming over this afternoon so we should get it up and running this afternoon with luck.

Mark.

15. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    sorry to hear about that mark, get well soon mate.

looking forward to seeing your impressions ;)

16. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    There's a "me" shaped impression in the floor in front of the screen!:clown:

Seriously, we (well, John;)) got the PJ up yesterday, was surprised that there was no filter in the box. I thought Sony shipped with a colour correcting lens filter.

Generally though I reckon I'm going to be happy with the image. There are some filmic qualities from my CRT that it doesn't really match up to, but clarity and brightness are noticeable better.

I'm sure fully calibrated and with a CC30 or CC40 filter it's going to be great for me.

This was designed to be a stop-gap allowing me to get the PJ off the floor whilst I wait for some serious advances over the next year or 2.

We did have lead trouble however, We couldn't get a signal from the HDMI lead at all, "Frequency-out-of-range" was as much as we could get.

A very helpful call to Joe at The Media Factory and I discover that it's all down to the supported HDMI mode resolutions on the PJ.

I didn't get a chance to play around with those last night, so that's something to try when I get home this afternoon. Thing is I really want to do 1:1 pixel mapping toi get the best image I can, which means I'll have to use a 9M DVI lead which Joe will be sending me today, with luck I'll have it in time for a gathering I have at my place this weekend.

Will post more early next week.

Mark.

17. o0OBoBO0o

o0OBoBO0o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Mark

I have been reading you thread with interest, I hope you could help me with a question ?

My understanding is that you are ceiling mounting the projector ? such that it is upside down ?

What I need to know is where is the top of the screen in relation to the projector lens. I have read that the top of the screen falls exactly in the middle of the lens ?

This is quite important for me to find out as I will need a short lmp mount if this is the case, but if the HS20 is like the AE100 then it will need to be mounted lower from the ceiling.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

BoBBoB

18. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    That's correct, it surprised me that it was the case. When my LMP mount arrived I thought I's ordered too short but it's exactly the right length for me.

Hope this helps,

Mark.

19. tykent

tykent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Mark

Would you recomend the HS20 as a projector? I am in the process of converting my garage into an HC room and the big decision I have to make is the pj. Did you short list any other projectors? It's good to get the views of people who are actually using them.

Ty