Are HDs in DVD recorders really worth it ? Considering a DMR-E65EBS

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JoseD, Jun 30, 2005.

1. JoseD

JoseD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi. Ma 1st post here. :D
    Anyway, I'm pretty much aware of video stuff as I like reading artilcles on the net once in a while, the discussion I'd like to start here is based on "hands down" experience, as this would be my 1st DVD recorder and I can't see the big advantage of HDs, specially considering the much higher price. I'm considering buying the Panasonic DMR-E65EBS wich doesn't have an HD.
    As I see it it's like this...
    Advantages:
    - To be able to burn DVD-R, wich is cheaper, after editing on the HD first
    Disadvantages:
    - Recorders with HD are more expensive and DVDRam allows good editing anyway. You'll probably want your recording to last anyway, and for that DVDRam is more reliable.

BTW, what do you think of av-sales.co.uk are there better bargains online stores ?

2. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    Hi and welcome to the forums.

For general time shifting you just cannot beat an HDD recorder. No more fumbling around for blanks just as your favourite program starts, much faster operation than a DVD, Play/Record at the same time, decent indexing, just set the timer without worrying about remaining time on DVD, I could go on. It's one of those thing where once you've used one, you won't want to use anything else.

3. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you intend to collect/archive a dvd home recording collection then a HDD is essential for neat and tidy editing with high speed transfer to dvd.
    If your main use would be watch and wipe then Sky+ or a Freeview HDD PVR would be more appropriate.
    But with 80Gb HDD recorders available for under £300 there's no excuse not to get one

4. JoseD

JoseD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    @GaryB

Well, maybe I'd change my mind if I could see and use the equipment just a bit but, at least from the information I've gathered around:
    - I don't care much about time shifting... :) , and the DMR-E65EBS can do it anyway, maybe more limited (?)
    - I'd have to have spare blanks around, worth the cash I'll spare I think.
    - Is the speed difference that big? I though DVD Ram was fast enoupgh
    - Play/Record at the same time is also available on standalone
    Hmm, but I'm forced to agree ( :smashin: ) that the capacity of DVDs is a limitation if I want the best possible picture recordings all the time. And not having an HDD would limit my editing if I wanted to later dub to -R for compatibility...

@Phelings

To edit I'd use DVD-RAM directly. Except I wouldn't be able to edit and then record to DVD-R (for reduced price or compatibility) I'd have to do it on a PC, if I didn't use an HDD model that is. Do you think it's worth it?

This sucks, I'll end up waiting more an year or so, because the cheapeast panny model with both hdd and firewire is too expensive for me.... :mad:

BTW, the DMR-EH50 is said to be able to handle 4 hours in full resolution, what about the 65 ? (couldn't find a comparison)..

Cheers :smashin:

5. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I shocked myself by buying a freeview box with a hardrive in, then I was even more shocked that I paid out for a DVD recorder with a hard drive in. I never been scared of technology, nbut I always thought things was moving a bit too fast digital wise, with digital T.V and stuff and not really getting anything from it quality wise.
    That is why I was socked that I got myself the above units.

The hard drive is great, it allows me to record stuff which I only want to watch the once, it allows me to edit out the stuff I do not want, much better than sticking it onto DVd and doing it on the computer. There are so many pluses about the system,

6. MarkhamPete

MarkhamPete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The biggest advantage for me in using a hard drive recorder is the ease to burn multiple copies quickly.

7. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    whats your budget, you can get a Toshiba rx34 with a 160Gb hard drive for £295

resolution isn't everything... wait 'till you get a sceen with lots moving in it..

8. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    What did you go for in the end?