1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are HD MONITORS available for computers yet ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by discostewart, Oct 21, 2005.

1. discostewart

discostewart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I was about to buy the £200 19 ich Acer monitor from Amazon, when i came across an article that said that even if u buy an internal b;u-ray / hd drive when they come out you will not be able to view HD on most monitors currently available. Assuming this is ture I have aa question for the techies on here...

A) Are there any hd monitors currently availanle for a reasonable price? It is for my computer so Im not really bothered about these £900 LCD TV ones. If they are not available how long till they come out at a cheap @ £200ish price.

b) Is it worth waiting really or will the aforementioned Acer do me just fine? I do have 24mb broadband so i could in theory download hd stuff.

2. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't take this the wrong way but are you seriously baulking at buying a 19" TFT display for £200 because of a technology that isn't widely available yet?

OK, being more helpful, the reason for the article is that many TFT monitors have the resolution capability to display hi def images but it's in the connectivity where the problem lies. Normal VGA (or analogue RGB as it actually is) is currently supplied on most monitors and will not be able to correctly 'handshake' with the copyright protected signal outputting from your PC. However, many monitors coming onto the market now also have a DVI connection and these monitors will, as far as I'm aware, be able to 'give the green light' to the output signal from the PC to display the picture.

That's how I see it anyway.

Cheers,
    Jon.

3. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Not sure that's quite correct Jon. to play copy-protected hi-def content you'll need a monitor which accepts HDCP (this could be over DVI but would more likely be HDMI). AFAIK there are no current PC monitors which have this feature. that's ok though as there are no graphics cards which support this

4. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Only if the DVI connection supports HDCP, which most if not all current LCD monitors do not.
    Not that it makes any difference anyway, chances are the graphics card in your PC doesnt support it either. I seem to remember some of the highend Radeon cards advertising DVI(HDCP) in the specs a while back, but dont know where Nvidia currently stand on this.

If it was me, i would buy the monitor you have your eye on and not worry about it. But then i have no inclination to watch HD content on my PC, just the same as i currently dont sit in front of it and watch DVDs.

Edit - After checking out ATi's website, pretty much every GPU i looked at quoted this in the specs: "Integrated 165 MHz TMDS transmitter (DVI 1.0 compliant / HDMI interoperable and HDCP ready)".
    Right from the 9800 series and up. Couldnt find anything on the Nvidia website, although i only had a quick look.

5. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Put the above post into simpler terms...

You need to make sure your monitor has the "Hidef READY" sticker on it or it supports HDCP (the copy protection mentioned above).

HiDef Compatible is NOT good enough.

Many have fallen foul of this, including myself.