1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are guarantees on tvs worth it?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by megaroons, Feb 3, 2005.

1. megaroons

megaroons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you think guarantees on tvs on worth it, i.e., sony's five year guarantee?
    As opposed to the usual one year guarantee?

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    The John Lewis 5 year guarantee is definately worth it, because it's FREE!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    I wont go down the price matching route so John Lewis is always much more expensive for me.

It always annoys me when people complain that guarantee's are so expensive etc but they are like any non-compulsary insurance - there is a profit margin in for the underwritters (if there wasnt they wouldnt be selling it) and for the majority it will not be cost effective but it gives you the peace of mind that you have paid out £X and your TV/car/house will be covered and so if something does happen you dont have to find the money yourself to repair/replace it - can you tell I work for an insurance company?

There isnt anything that it is truely free but the cost of it is built into the price be it like Sony where it is factored into the unit price which retailers pay or John Lewis where it is factored into their retail price - whilst JL will price match you will note a hell of a lot of threads on this forum of people 'discussing' their policy. I have always thought if you see it cheaper else where before buying and you want it for that price you should reward the lower priced shop with your custom rather than going to a giant retailer who is happily overcharging the majority of its customers and getting them to price match for you (never have I seen them then perminantly reduce the price for everyone when they realise they arent the cheapest)

4. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Astaroth, good point regarding JL not permanently lowering their prices - one I've also made in the past, though not on this site. Never knowingly undersold - my arse!

With their five-year guarantees all JL are doing is acknowledging their obligations under the Sale of Goods act - which isn't such a bad thing.

5. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Astaroth,

It's your choice of course, but lots of Forum members have perservered with JL and got a bargain AND a 5 year guarantee!

Good luck. :thumbsup:

6. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Tight Git,

As Greenbars says we now have the Sales of Goods act on the side of the consumer and whilst having a formal guarantee can make it easier to enforce I do miss my old days of working in claims and 'negotiating' with solicitors from 9-5. Though thankfully I have never had any problems with the electronics I have bought prior to upgrading/replacing.

7. redarrow

redarrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JL price matching is supposed to last 14 days if the item you bought through price matching has not been reduced in store in say a week ask why. allders also use to do a 5yr guarantee not sure now with the ongoing situation there.

8. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I think it's 28 days.