• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Are grey blacks a warranty issue?

kosymodo

Established Member
I have a 3yr old LG plasma. More and more recently I'm noticing that the blacks aren't as black as they were, and now have a decidedly grey tinge. The TV was bought with a 5yr Richer Sounds warranty. Would this issue be covered under the warranty?

toodeep

Prominent Member
Plasma display panels dim as they age which manufacturers compensate for by driving the panels harder with time. If the algorithm used is inappropriate then the panel can suffer from rising minimum luminance level and more-grey blacks. Panasonic's first-generation neoPDPs could suffer badly from this and not a few of us on these forums had such sets replaced by Panasonic or the retailer. What the wording of your warranty says, however, I don't know. Try separately engaging with both RS and LG I suggest.

kosymodo

Established Member
Sounds like I need to make a couple of phone calls tomorrow then! Thanks for the advice

toodeep

Prominent Member
Of course/alas if the MML rise is happening for the reason I cited then the TV is just following its programming and isn't necessarily faulty. In turn you might argue that the TV is now not behaving as marketed to you by RS/LG...

tman

Prominent Member
What was the outcome? They'll probably play the 'its within specification' card, and honestly, it's difficult to prove otherwise.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom