1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Games Getting Easier

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by churchofhalo, Jun 24, 2004.

1. churchofhalo

churchofhalo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi. Are games on average getting easier because of younger users. A ask this because I just completed Ninja Gaiden on normal difficulty and had real toruble because it was so hard at the start. However other games such as Star Wars KOTOR and GTA: Vice City no problem. I wonder if you have any opinions.

2. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah games are definitely getting too easy, IMO.

That's why it's so refreshing to play a genuinely hard game every so often (Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, Virtua Fighter etc)

I don't mind easy games, just as long as they give me a bit of a challenge or have lots of depth - like DMC's insane combat system, for example. If only every developer could make combat that simple and intuitive :lease:

3. mr_fantazmo

mr_fantazmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I generally don't have the patience to finish a game anymore, there are so many games i have that are half completed, metroid Prime, eternal darkness, resident evil 0 , Vice city the list is endless!! I think i'll just stick with fighting and sports games, Pro EVO 3 is on permanently!!!

Maybe it's just me!! :confused:

4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I am playing 'Ninja Gaiden' and 'Viewtiful Joe' at the moment. The first one is very difficult on normal mode, but the second one on adult mode I am breezing through. Can't see what all the fuss was about that game. 'Ninja Gaiden' is absolutely miles ahead.

5. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,387
    Way easier - i tried one-crediting Metal Slug 3 last weekend - no way in hell was it happening. There's a world of difference when compared to the multiple levels and saves of say Splinter Cell: PT.

Probably its because game environements have evolved, but also the tech has changed, so memory cards/HDDs have changed the way developers can progress you. Also the majority of gamers are now "casual", and much more inclined to put down a game if its too challenging.

6. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    2D games are harder than 3D usually because 3D games generally have some sort of "assitance" for angle and the like IMO

7. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    Not sure if games are actually getting easier, i think its just that we have all had to much practice!

8. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I wouldnt say that, when I go to play my old snes games they are rock hard! Contra III anyone? :)

9. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,203
    I disagree, its not just for the younger gamers that games have become easier, I thinks its for the disposable generaion. IE gaming has become more widely accepted and not everyone wants to sit down for hours trying to crack level 3, the market has leant toward the pick up and play so more people can play more games, and cynically part with more cash.

I enjoy a game with challenge, but I also fall into the disposable category, as I often find I don't have time to complete a tough game.

10. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    lol i played that the other day, couldnt get past lvl3 :(
    also tried street fighter 2 turbo, i cant finish it on 5 stars anymore let alone 10 without losing a round like i used to

11. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Ikaruga on the Dreamcast was one of the hardest games I ever played, if not the hardest!

12. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Very hard game im stuck on that, but then I am stuck on Castlevania: Symphony of the night :)

13. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    after playing ninja gaiden,splinter cell and chronicles of riddick i would say no,but after playing some of my old snes games i have to say games are well easier than they use to be.i had a go of ZOMBIES,contra ultra and a few others and they where a bloody nightmare absolutely rock solid.no doubt about it we may have the graphics but we have lost the battle for longetivity and playabillity.

14. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    Not sure really, to be honest I don't really play many games that need finishing much - like mr_fantazmo, PES3 is almost permanently in my console with the odd game of ESPN NFL or NHL or maybe GT3.

The only game i'm currently playing that you can complete is Sega 3D Ages 2500 Outrun! This game is amazing and keeps me playing even though i've beaten it on every possible route at least twice! By the way, if there are any Outrun fans out there who haven't got this game then I thourally recommend an import asap (play Asia do it for around £15). It plays much better than the arcade version, has superb, propper 3D graphics (although the car looks a bit odd from behind), there is an arrange mode which contains rivals to beat and a different route layout, it has the original music and sound as well as remixes of the old tunes as well. The sensation of speed is even better in true 3D and overall this game is awsome. It's pretty easy on normal but get's tougher on the harder settings.

The 3D ages Afterburner is also a great game if that's your bag - not sure about the others yet as I only have those two from the series. I'm quite tempted by Virtua Racing, Fantasy Star IV, Space Harrier and Monaco GP as well though.