are failed recordings/crashes that common?

reevesy

Distinguished Member
hi all,
thinking of taking advantage of the current offer in order to upgrade from my pace sky+ box.....
thing is the pictures not bad on my panny 37" plasma.....and more importantly the box has'nt skipped a beat since i got it...second hand i might add......no failed recordings and not one crash....(touches wood!)

.......are the reported crashes and failed recordings that common?
...should i wait for the boxes to improve a bit...(cant help but think that they are going to have to go some to fill current demand...will this effect quality control?)

....or are the majority happy owners?

cheers in advance.

duffer

Novice Member
I've got a Pace Sky+ box hooked up to a Panny Plasma and the picture quality on some of the channels is superb. I've ordered a Samsung HD box off Ebay and can't wait to hook it up. My Pace as been faultless and it too was second hand and I'm slightly concerned about the issues with the HD boxes. However, I'm sure the majority of the problems are from a minority of owners.

mattclarkie

Novice Member
The answer is yes and no.

The SkyHD box suffers memory leaks, generally caused by a software update or a missed recording due to a schedule change.

Once this memory leak occurs your box will crash and fail recordings alot.

But if you reboot the box (switch off the mains) once you notice the issue then it will generally be perfectly fine for months until the next memory leak.

If you ever get a missed/failed recording delete it from the recordings section of the planner and switch off the box at the mains. Then you should be fine.

reevesy

Distinguished Member
The answer is yes and no.

The SkyHD box suffers memory leaks, generally caused by a software update or a missed recording due to a schedule change.

Once this memory leak occurs your box will crash and fail recordings alot.

But if you reboot the box (switch off the mains) once you notice the issue then it will generally be perfectly fine for months until the next memory leak.

If you ever get a missed/failed recording delete it from the recordings section of the planner and switch off the box at the mains. Then you should be fine.

and there was me thinking i was the only one with memory leak ;)

Jaycee Dove

Novice Member
HD boxes are also more prone than Sky + boxes to the back to back recording bug that causes the second in a chain of two recordings on a channel to show as having recorded but will refuse to play.

Loads of threads on this on here.

It is fixable if you set your Sky+ padding to zero minutes before and after. But you do not need to do that on a Sky + box so the HD box seems particularly prone.

You may be lucky and rarely get it or get it often. Might depend how often you do back to backs.

For me it has been the most serious issue on the Thomson HD box if I do not use zero padding and from posts here and on Digital Spy I am far from alone.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom