1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are external DVD writer / players multi region?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by IanB, Dec 2, 2004.

1. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've gone and used up all my lives on my internal superdrive in my G5 mac. I'm now stuck on region 2. That's not so bad, but I have quite a few R1 and R3 disks that I like to have playing on my second monitor while I'm working.

I as thinking of ripping out the superdrive and replacing it with another, there isn't any firmware flashing software for this superdrive (SONY DVD RW DW-U10A) by the way. But there is nothing wrong with it, so why waste it?

If I bought an external, at least I would have some back up if it did ever pack up.

What I don't want is to buy an external and find it's stuck in a particular region as well. I've looked and looked and I can't find out any details. Does anybody know if they are region free?

If so does anybody have any recommendations for an external with firewire?

I'm just looking for a player really, but these days, it just as cheap to buy a writer.

All help appreciated.

2. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +530
    All drives come region locked, but most can be unlocked by flashing with new firmware, this can be found here. Hope this helps. :)

3. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK. :cool:

Thanks for that. It looks like the firmware flashing progs are PC. Do you know of any Mac versions?

I don't have a firewire port on my PC so that will mean I have to buy a USB external and I'm not too keen, I'd rather have firewire.

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just had a look for my drive and there is a Region code resetter for Mac for that drive. If you try a search for macintosh you may end up with a shopping list of suitable drives.

Dave