1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Expensive Scart Cables Worth It?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by WAITSMAN, Sep 24, 2005.

1. WAITSMAN

WAITSMAN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently bought a Toshiba sx34 which I am very pleased with. At this moment in time I am using bog standard scart leads and I am pondering whether to invest in two new scart leads. I don't mind paying good money but will I see and hear a small or big difference? Any help thanks.
    On another subject, I was having problems recording from my Sony camcorder and after reading threads I contacted Toshiba and they said they were aware of this conflict with Sony equip and they said they would send me a update disc.............Two days later it arrived and surprise surprise it worked and solved my problem.

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    A more expensive scart is worth it on a decent TV using RGB. However, don't pay more than £15-£20 for one. I find Thor scart cables to be worth it.

3. WAITSMAN

WAITSMAN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your prompt reply. I note you mention the dreaded RGB. I am confused about how to get the best of my system. My tosh is linked to a five year old 32" tosh tv with 3 scarts one of which is linked to a Sony dvd player. My sx34 has a RGB scart but I am not sure how to get the best out of it. Any help appreciated.......thanks

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    Have you got two players (Toshiba and Sony) to the TV?

RGB scart on most system will produce the best picture quality (not including component). The DVD player needs to be set to RGB and connected to the RGB scart socket on the TV (usually AV1).

5. WAITSMAN

WAITSMAN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, my Sony dvd system is on scart 3, my tosh is on scart 2 and my sky box is on scart 1. I checked my tosh tv manual and it is does not mention RGB anywhere so this is why I am not sure whether it is RGB compatable.

Thanks again....

6. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
  7. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    as far as setting that tosh for RGB, first make sure you select AV on the tv remote,then go into the settings menu and select again av set up, from here there will be a setting and for tosh if i remember you get the options of pal. nstc, composite, and rgb, you may have to scroll around to get these but they are there, select and save rgb, you also have to make sure rgb is set in the set up menu of the equipment connected to it,

8. WAITSMAN

WAITSMAN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks I will try this.