1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

are electronic AV equipment really cheaper in Hong Kong?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by shahedz, May 22, 2005.

1. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,691
    i am going to Hong Kong in little over 6 weeks. I need a all in one remote (harmony or similar) and really want to buy an MP3 streamer. ( ROKU soundbridge 1000). Does anyone know if it is worth waiting to buy it in Hong Kong in the effort of saving money? or is there better products cheaper in Hong Kong? I really want a ROKU but would really kick my self if i found a better product cheaper!

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,774
    I can't speak for this specific equipment. However last year, I glanced around at a number of types of product -DVD players, LCD TVs, mobile phones (etc) with which I'm fairly familiar with UK prices. Some things were actually more thsan here (strange but true). In general, about 15-20% less than here, but, by the time you add back in import duty and VAT, perhaps a bit more. Disappointing, really. Oh, and I'm talking "Golden Arcade" (etc) here, not the more expensive (still) big malls and chains.

3. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,691
    That has really put a downer on my holiday! :( , i was looking forward more to shopping round for new AV equipment than actually touring!! well at least i cant be diappointed now!

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,774
    Well, you may find different. I was equally surprised that the range of gear seen wasn't much different than here. All the stores had a huge range of Nokia, Siemens, Motorola mobiles - same as here. Sure, there were more cheapo chinese DVD player/recorders, and some odd types of VCR like multistandard and so on. But generally, for the type of stuff I guess you 'd be looking at - not much different than here.

Indeed, the Denon 2900 DVD player that my HK friend bought was actually labelled on the box and the case as :r2: even though (as with all such gear in HK I guess) it was multi-region, and even though HK is :r3:. It, and the Panasonic projector she bought, both had SCARTs indicating their European intent.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hong Kong is a bit of a mixed bag: some stuff is cheaper, some more expensive, in particular AV electronics and speakers.
    Anyhow, if the purchase is not urgent just wait and check the prices of the item(s) you are interested in when you are on holiday there. If it's more expensive buy upon return. :)

The only country that I know of which is generally considered cheap is Singapore, and they even use 220V & PAL (TV broadcast) down there, though no Scart/RGB usually.

6. vicente

vicente
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a very bad experience in HK some years ago. I wanted to buy a Sony video camera and after checking some shops I found one with very good prices (most of them had prices similar to the ones in Europe).

I made a deal and as it was very cheap I told them I wanted two (another one for a relative) as I was paying with Visa.

The salesman told another guy to go to the storeroom to look for the cameras and meanwhile I signed the Visa charges.

After ten minutes waiting, the man that went to the storeroom was not coming back and the salesman started telling me that those cameras I had bought will never work in Spain (I asked that question first and he told me no problem) and that I should buy also a very expensive mixing table ????? but he had instead some very good JVC cameras that will work without problems in Spain.

As you can understand I started arguing and at the end I menaced him with going to the police. He replied me that he was paying the police regularly a"fee" so the one that was going to have problems was me.

As he didn't want to give me back the Visa slips and undo the deal, I had to buy him a wireless telephone (some years ago they were pretty expensive there and in Europe) and then he agreed to break the Visa slips.

Main problem is that I went to buy the same thing in some other shops and they tried to do me the same trick they did in the first shop.

So be aware, don't handle your credit card before you have your merchandise over the desk.

Best regards

7. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,691
    Wow! that is a shocking story. a friend of mine (who has not got a clue about electronics) got sold a digital camera (this was 5 years back) with a 128mb memory card on the pretense that it was a digital camcorder. although all cameras can do movie mode by no means is it a camcorder, unfortunatley as he was none the wiser he got ripped off. i thought that shop owners may try and pull a quick one, but as i am pretty well acquainted with electronics, i thought i would be ok.
    but the whole refusing to refund money, or stop the sale, has really scared me off big time. the langauge barrier can cause a whole load of confusion and the last thing i want to be involved with is foreign police! luckily i am actually going on a far east tour . starting in singapore-macau-thailand-hong kong and then china. Unfortunately i am only in singapore for 2 days but if i have the time i will check out the shops there. But then again if there isn't much saving , and the only time you do make a saving you risk getting ripped off i may not bother at all now. i was really hoping to discover some amazingly cheap electronic gadgets,but i think now i may look but wont touch! anyone have any good experiences?

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well, I have bought most of my stuff in Asia (given my location it's no surprise ;) ) and haven't made a bad experience yet, though I stay away from dodgy-looking shops and offers that are too good to be true.

Where to shop?
    If you go to Singapore head to The Adelphi (just across from the Funan Center where you can shop for PC stuff), that's where all the good stuff is (AV and Hifi). Sim Lim Square has also electronics shops, usually of the smaller kind but also cameras etc.
    For Hong Kong a suggest a trip to the Harbour City shopping mall in Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, easily reached by ferry or MRT from HK island. A few AV shops in there though not that many actually.
    In Bangkok you should visit the Central World Plaza (formerly World Trade Center) and the Sogo Complex near to it, both have a few AV / electronics shops. If you are into computers and smaller items (like cameras) check out the Pantip Plaza in Pratunam.

Note: When you buy a camcorder pay attention if it's NTSC or PAL; some countries sell NTSC only.

Edit: Corrected the part in italic letters.