Are Dynaudio speakers that good?

patton

Established Member
Reaction score
I currently own a pair of Kef IQ3's and am very pleased with them, i listen to metal music and rock and a few people have said i'd be better with a pair of Dynaudio's DM2/7 would they be a big improvment on my kefs? i have looked in the forums and they don't seem to be very popular i know what hi-fi love these speakers.. are the dynaudio's really that good?

Dynaudio are awesome, but to put metal through them would be a waste, they are a refined speaker, maybe you need something more solid, brutish...
I can't reccomend anything as I don't listen to metal, I could not tell you the kind of sound you are looking for, but Dyns I have listen to, make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up..
2.5 K for a pair of bookshelfers..

:thumbsup:

I second that; Mine are excellent for prog/altern-rock/classical, and will perform well with metal/rock ect, but speakers equally as good as them for metal could be got for cheaper.

Tl;Dr: With Metal, expensive speakers give less advantage over cheap ones, than they would with more detailed music.

Hi Patton,

What sort of amplifier and CD player are you currently using with your Kef IQ3s?

Arcam cd 192 and arcam A85 amp

would the Dynaudio's DM2/7 be better than the Monitor Audio RS1 speakers?

Can't believe anyone would say that metal isn't detailed, must be from those that don't listen to it.

To the OP, if you listen to all types of metal, including the likes of Rush, Queensryche, early Marillion, Dream Theater, etc...........you'll benefit from having the best quality speakers and source/amplification you can afford.

Every higher specced piece of equipment I've added to my system has yielded more involving sound from my CD's.

Best of luck,
Neil.:thumbsup:

thanks for the advice, got to say though silly response with the metal music some of you guys obviously havent a clue just what metal music is...

I have heard enough music in my life to make a qualified opinion.
I don't listen to Metal, as my hearing is damaged and I can't listen to hard core as it grates my ears..
Def Lepard, hardly heavy, but they had very good dynamics, which made Hysteria easy to listen to ( this was as far as I got with metal, not my cupp of tea, pint of beer, flagan of wine).
I have found when listening to some metal, it does not have dynamics, hence why I said its a waste to those Dynaudio speakers..
Death metal is even more of a waste, and I have heard plenty, 2 of my mates listen to all sorts of it...
When comparing Metal to other genres, I find it sounds flatter, hence once again, Dybs are wasted, but as some people have pointed out, there is this CD and that CD..
Get some classical, put your best Meta CD on, and your average Classic CD on, and I bet you the Classical wins..

Not rocket science, just the way the dynamics are produced..

Can't believe anyone would say that metal isn't detailed, must be from those that don't listen to it.

To the OP, if you listen to all types of metal, including the likes of Rush, Queensryche, early Marillion, Dream Theater, etc...........you'll benefit from having the best quality speakers and source/amplification you can afford.

Every higher specced piece of equipment I've added to my system has yielded more involving sound from my CD's.

Best of luck,
Neil.:thumbsup:

totally agree with you here.:clap:

metal/heary rock is THE most demanding music. seconded by large scale classical.
its much much harder to get a system to realy perform on this music than any other.
you will generally find that a speaker with a lower qtc driver confuguration and low qts tune will porform better on this as the compliance is faster (better fall time) so note separation is cleaner -this is needed because you have so many sounds being produced at the same time in this music.
its a little hard to know these perameters when your buying a speaker *but* the laws of phisics help you here- low qts drivers are inherently higher efficiency.

the rub is the low freq extention falls away earlyer-but you cant have it all im afraid!

so look for a speaker with a sensitivity of 90db/w or more.:smashin:

i reccomend you have a listen to focal myself.-they work very well with arcam too!

I have heard enough music in my life to make a qualified opinion.
I don't listen to Metal, as my hearing is damaged and I can't listen to hard core as it grates my ears..
Def Lepard, hardly heavy, but they had very good dynamics, which made Hysteria easy to listen to ( this was as far as I got with metal, not my cupp of tea, pint of beer, flagan of wine).
I have found when listening to some metal, it does not have dynamics, hence why I said its a waste to those Dynaudio speakers..
Death metal is even more of a waste, and I have heard plenty, 2 of my mates listen to all sorts of it...
When comparing Metal to other genres, I find it sounds flatter, hence once again, Dybs are wasted, but as some people have pointed out, there is this CD and that CD..
Get some classical, put your best Meta CD on, and your average Classic CD on, and I bet you the Classical wins..

Not rocket science, just the way the dynamics are produced..

i used to think like this- but youll find there are hard cone now that sound so good you just cant beleve it.
metal tweeters... generaly yea, but again theres a few now that have realy got it nailed.

seas and scan speak are just leaving the rest in the dust with this stuff these days.-unless you got the cash for accuton-but then its prob cheaper to hire the band live!!!:D

if you can nail the micro dynamics metal can swing dynamics. but youll end up over at the lansing heratage forum by the time youve found a fully satisfing ultimate sound for this kind of music imo. there idea of a speaker just isnt a option for most ppl.

a bit of a hifi no no but ive used a dynamic expander before with this kind of music- bit of a guilty pleasure but i liked it!!

It all depends on how it is recorded. You get awesome recordings and then there are the totally crap ones which make you think your sound system is no good and you have to change a component.

Metal and Classical music are two opposites of the spectrum, but if the recordings excellent it will make you feel your systems totally awesome.

It's just a flip of the coin I'm afraid.

But regarding whether the Dynaudios are suitable for Metal music, I feel the Monitor Audio spks will do a far better job due to the metal or aluminium drive units.Far greater detail, speed and tighter bass for your kind of music.

But it would be wise idea to audition both spks if you can with a suitable amplifier and CD player of your choice.

:)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom