1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are DVI sockets all progressive scan?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by ghorricks, Jun 21, 2005.

1. ghorricks

ghorricks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A simple question really...

Computer monitors (inc LCD) display high resolution PC graphics and do so using non interlaced methods... One line after another, i.e. progressive scan.
    If I purchase an LCD TV that has a DVI socket with a high res, then surely this unit supports progressive scan via the DVI socket?

If anyone can confirm this, I will be grateful.

Thanks.

P.S. The LG RZ32LZ50 does NOT support progressive scan via the video component inputs. Source : LG technician.

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I think it's possible for DVI and HDMI to send interlaced video, but I think in reality if you find a socket that doesn't support something, it'll be Interlaced video it doesn't support. They'd have to be mad to make a TV without Progressive support over a Digital video input.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    STOP:

DVI sockets can accept many types of resolutions and refresh rates. The DVI spec says that it has to have at least the bandwidth of VGA (640x480P). You can therefore get interlaced signals sent over DVI (1920X1080I). Here is the issue though. The presence of a DVI socket does not guarantee that the signal you want to send will be accepted at the other end.

It's perfectly possible that a display may only accept a handful of resolutions and refresh rates on its DVI input and that none of them are what you want to send.

You should always check with the manufacturer of the display what resolutions and refresh rates it accepts on each specific input as they will not be the same, in my experience.

Gordon

4. ghorricks

ghorricks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So the DVI spec states that the DVI socket is indeed at least 480p - Therefore it IS progressive!

LG said that the unit in question was NOT progressive, yet I argued the fact that it it is HD ready (which they say is so) - Then the presence of a DVI socket means it supports Progressive scan.

I'm sure I am right here.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    At least the bandwidth of 480P. If the manufacturer decides to only support 1080i then you're blown out. See my last paragraph.

Gordon