1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are DVD's the limiting factor?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by henry1234, May 25, 2003.

1. henry1234

henry1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I am beginning to think that DVD's are just not a good enough source for most CRT's.

At the moment a DVD like 5th Element Supa Bit looks fantastic yet the majority of DVD's look soft and poor quality. It's only about 1 in every 10 films I hire that I actually think "Nice picture quality!"

Most films look soft/low definition.

However when reading threads it is often said how much sharper and detailed the picture will be with better scalers and bigger more expensive projectors.

Could there be something wrong with my set-up if most DVD's look rubbish when at the same time if I slipped in a Supa Bit or ran a Hi-Def demo it would look great. Surely that means the projector can show an excellent picture when given the source.

How could a G-70 make DVD's look better than my NEC 6PG on a DVD that is just soft anyway.

Not meaning to start a star wars thread but a good example of a DVD most people have is Region 2 Star Wars 2. The picture quality while good just didn't have any snap to it and seemed on the soft side. Would this look any better on a G-70 when it seems the DVD is the limiting factor not the projector.

2. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure it's not just the DVD player? Something no-one bothers to check on review is how well it deals with lower bitrate discs. Some players are better at retrieving detail from poorly encoded discs as well.
    Also a decent scaler will do wonders even for poor DVDs, though as ever, better inputs will give better outputs.

3. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The highest quality DVD currently on sale is the new Terminator 2 extreme edition. Disk 2 has entire movie encoded in high definition. You need a meaty PC to play it but it will at least give you the benchmark for the video quality.

4. henry1234

henry1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thats disk is now on my wish list.

With a disk like that I can see how a better pj and scaler may resolve more detail. As the detail available may be higher than my PJ & HTPC can handle.

The thing is most DVD's seem to be way below the capabilities of HTPC & NEC 6PG so how could a more expensive set up look better. At best it would show a sharply focused soft DVD image, resolving every bit of blur and mpeg artifact perfectly.

When it comes to PC Graphics I fully accept the better, bigger tubed, better lens & electronics projector would be considerably better at resolving high rez detail.

But when normal DVD is so poor and lacking in detail what can you gain from a better PJ?

(I'm sort of playing devils advocate, I'd prefer to be put right with a solution to my set up that gets better pictures from normal DVD's :devil:)

5. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    "As the detail available may be higher than my PJ & HTPC can handle".

I am confused with your comment. This higher resolution can only be handled with a PC. Pc is the source that will give you the highest possible resolution (I am referring to Windows Media Video encoded version of T2).

6. henry1234

henry1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I didn't look into the disc before making that comment. I assumed it was just an extra bit-rate DVD disc.

I look forward to using the disc with my htpc, this should really test the PC and Projector.

7. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    This is a good point, even coming from (the LCD forum) I think you're are right - everyone goes off about their final link in the chain, projector screen etc.

But do we stop to think about the quality of the DVD's enough. Personally (running from an HTPC) I can see a lot wrong with DVD's that would affect both CRT and LCD/DLP projectors and no amount of front end is going to make up for compression artifacts, low rez and limited intensity range.

DVD only looks half decent because of the source it's coming from, really in real hard bit-rate terms DVD is some way of even bog standard digital video (avid systems etc.)

I know we are sort of stuck with DVD as the mainstream but we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that its a high-compressed mainstream format - and we need more.

8. acave

acave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    D-VHS is the best quality I've seen. Don't care about extras

9. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Microsoft has recently released 'Coral Reef Adventure' 1080p high definition demo file. It lasts for about 1:43mins. It is of a higher quality than D-VHS. This is probably the indication of the highest quality we are likely to get commercially for some time.

10. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Another even better T2 disk? I think I've bought this disk 3 times already. Is the DVD version going to look any better, or only from a HTPC?

11. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Apparantly DVD version is also better looking.

12. henry1234

henry1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've just got the High Defintion version of T2 working today.

I'm a little excited and havn't really thoroughly tested it but here goes:

The definition is superb, the same as the 720p demo files for windows media 9. Except it's the whole film of T2.

The transfer comes from a digital master at 1920X1080p 24fps. So there is NO 3:2 pull down and hence NO pan stutter on the High Def version. I set refresh at 48hz and it's perfect, absolutley perfect. Not sure whether other refresh rates would mess this up.

It IS like film.

The playback is perfectly smooth. I set up my pc monitor to 1280X720 @ 48hz.

There doesn't seem to be any lip sync issues.

Need to mess around to get DTS or DD (this seems the biggest draw back)

I have to wait until darkness before viewing on my NEC PG6 but all indications are this is the closest to film ever.

(I wrote this before throughly testing everything so may have a few things wrong, I'll only release as time goes on and I start fiddling with settings and reading other information)

13. KarlRobinson

KarlRobinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to confirm, I ran this film on my Cine 7 yesterday and straight after went back to the normal DVD verson on the first disk. The quality jump is amazing, like LD to DVD, hope they bring more of these out.

14. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing wrong with being ambitious in pursuit of better quality of course. But keep a mind that not too long ago we were all watching all 240 lines of VHS!!! ;)

15. henry1234

henry1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Would plasma screens that are only 843x480 pixels gain much from this high defintion version. Being as they have a fixed vert resolution of 480 lines and the film in HD mode is (I think) 720 lines resolution?

I am sure it would look better, with less mpeg artifacts but would the plasma resolution miss about 1/3 of the available detail.

16. Archos27

Archos27
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder the same thing as "henry 1234"!

Maybe it is a stupid question, but if you watch a HDTV-clip which has 1440x816, you have to set the computerres. the same to be able to benfit from the high quality? How does such a clip look at 800x600 for example?

17. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    HD looks great on an SD plasma display. Obviously superior to the SD DVD. At least it does with my PannyD6.

Gordon

18. Archos27

Archos27
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder the same thing as "henry 1234"!

Maybe it is a stupid question, but if you watch a HDTV-clip which has 1440x816, you have to set the computerres. the same to be able to benfit from the high quality? How does such a clip look at 800x600 for example?

Sorry- doublepost! went away from the computer, came back and thought I hadn´t posted the message..

19. Sammy Jankis

Sammy Jankis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I thought it was only possible to watch the HD version of T2 if you had a link to a US server that gave you some sort of licence. This HD version was only ever intended for US release and a they blocked the servers in the US from licencing the rest of the world. Therefore nobody in Europe can play the HD version.

Unless somebody has found a way around all that?

Sammy

20. KarlRobinson

KarlRobinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To get a license to play the disc, you just need an american dialup or proxy server.

21. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This sounds even worse than region coding :(

22. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    "This sounds even worse than region coding"

It is and is definitely something consumers should actively avoid.

I was able to get a license using one of the proxies from Canada listed on this site. Artisan has since tighten its check and they may still be able to determine that the originator is not Region 1 located.

As a proof of concept T3 Extreme was a success, but as a business model it is far from viable.