1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are DVD recorders multi region?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pauli, Nov 16, 2004.

1. pauli

pauli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi eveyone,
    I have never (can't believe this!!) got round to purchasing a DVD player. I was eyeing up the Pioneer 565A. However, now it is coming to the crunch, I am wondering about getting a DVD recorder. The specs for DVD rocrders don't seem to advertise what region they are or if they are multi region. Is this because DVD recorders are all multi region, or do I need to dig deeper to find out more??

I am looking for a multi region DVD recorder that will play JPEGs from a CD, and chase recording. Pioneer or Panasonic?? Anyone any recommendations or views.

Best Regards to all,

2. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    By default dvd recorder's arn't multi reagion... but you can buy recorders that have been altered so that they become multi region from places such as rgbdirect. If its multi region it will say so somewhere.

steve

3. RohanM

RohanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I've got a Panasonic DMR65 DVD-R, and it is multiregion. It was a software upgrade - can't remember if it was via a pre-programmed handset hack, or from a firmware upgrade via a CDR played in the machine. But it was whatever they normally do for playback-only DVD players, he wasn't sure if it would work on the DVD-R, but it did...

On another note, I think the Panny's are great recorders (good quality recording, ease of use) esp. the extra functionality of DVD-RAM, but note the compatibility (or lack of) of this format.

4. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    However they also record to write-once DVD-R discs which have significantly higher compatibility than ANY rewriteable discs.