Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Are DVD -R discs not compatible with all players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DonMaico, Jan 1, 2005.

1. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would seem not as I tried to play one ( on which I had recorded some material using a Panny E55) on my Toshiba SD520E and all | got was a peculiar noise coming from the player itself plus the message " loading" constantly repeated. Are there other record once types of software out there? :confused:

2. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    No DVDR media is compatible with every single DVD player. DVD-R, with between 93 and 97% compatibility with existing machines, has the best chance of working though.

If you consult the DVDR Help database reference for your player:
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDnameid=1762&Search=Search&#comments
    You'll see that several people have got DVD-Rs to work. Your best bet might be to try a different brand of media and see if you have more luck.

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Had you finalised it?
    Unfinalised DVD-Rs will usually only play on the originating machine (or one of the the same make) so that you can add recordings until it is full, if you wish. Then you finalise it and it's portable, but you may get the odd player which is unhappy. Changing disc brand might help.

4. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That might explain it if by finalising you mean did I fill the dvd completely which I havent as I only wanted about 2 and half hrs of recorded material .How do you tell how much space there is left? And does it mean I have to fill the dvd completely ?

5. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    No - you finalise when your finished with disc regardless of how much space is left on it. You do this by going to Functions/Disc Information and select 'Finalise'. Just like a CD-RW/-R...

6. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    ... and when it is finalised you cannot add more recording to it.

7. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh ok . What I did was copy recordings made from a hard disk ( sky plus ) recorder. Didnt realise you had to finalise things :blush: :thumbsup: