Are DVD players still worth buying?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Condor_84, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Condor_84

Condor_84
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much of a difference is there between DVD players and Blu-Ray players? Is there any point buying a DVD player now if these Blu-Ray players are a step up in quality? I've been setting up a 2.1 system and other bits and pieces and this will be the last part of it, so just wondering what the best option will be.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  2. rhino2k

rhino2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,272
    in all honesty, unless you have a 42" plus decent hdtv i wouldnt bother, especially as you wont be able to make use of the hd audio which is the best part for me:thumbsup:

3. pugheaven

pugheaven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    A good DVD Player mate is still the danglies, believe me, with the way major studios transfer onto DVD now, I've seen some corking quality, Blade Trinity springs to mind with an incredible picture.

Don't get me wrong, even upscaling DVD's (which they all are now anyway), IS NOT HIGH DEF but, you'll get a marvelous picture with DVD.

It's one of those, for me, I own 2 DVD Players, 2 HD-DVD and 1 Blu Ray. Now, my fave picture quality wise is the Toshiba HD-DVD for standard DVD, it produces a gorgeous picture compared to the Panny BD30 at SD.

DVD's are cheap, the players cheap and nowadays the picture and sound (especially DTS tracks) are great. Blu Ray is a step up in PQ and Sound... however the players cost 3x as much and blu Ray titles are only just being reduced.

If you have a HDMI input on your TV (and it's bigger than say 37") and you have around £140 quid to spend on a DVD player, then BUY BLU RAY... if you only have £50, Buy a Toshiba 500 DVD player, they're the mutts!

Not sure any of that helps, but as far as I'm concerned, Blu Ray is niche market, DVD WILL NOT BE REPLACED!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  4. jay mc

jay mc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Yes if you get a good one, i bought a pioneer lx50 befor xmas and i feel its a better upscaler then my panasonic bd35. Its a pretty awsome cd player as well.