1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are DVD Box Office cack?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by DaveH, Jun 8, 2001.

1. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    It may just be an isolated incident.

But I have now been waiting for my Superman Box Set from DVD Box Office for 5 weeks after it's 'claimed' shipping.

I am told that I have to wait 8 weeks before they consider the package to be lost.

My credit card has been charged and everything.

I for one will never order from them again.

Dave.

2. GarryF

GarryF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I've had quite a few things from them now, they are one of the cheapest for single disks around.

In my experience when something takes longer than 2-3 weeks customs have decided to hold it. I've had disks take 6 weeks because of customs.

I got upset with DV Depot a while back until I realised it was customs holding stuff up.

3. GarryF

GarryF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I just checked my orders with them and Vertical Limit despatched 3 weeks ago and I still haven't received it so not to fast.

Whenever I want a disk in a hurry I pay the extra for Movietyme, very fast service

[ 08-06-2001: Message edited by: GarryF ]

4. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks.

Guess I'll just keep waiting.

I do the same when I want a film quickly. I pay the extra.

This box set was only 38 pound. So I can't complain.

Just expected it a little quicker.

Dave.

5. h0l1yw0od

h0l1yw0od

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I ordered my Crow box set from them and it took around 3/4 weeks but it came through well packed and WITHOUT any extra charge from customs. The Superman 4 movie set was cheaper then the 3 movie Crow set.

6. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have bought stuff from them in the past, but it was awhile ago, that was ok.

however, their delivery went crazy i think earlier this year and folk were not getting their discs for ages which i presume lost them a lot of business.

i have never dared to go back to them again.

7. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I've ordered quite a few discs from them, sometimes they are fast, and sometimes I suspect customs get involved.

I havent ordered from them for a while but as they have quite a fewm DTS discs at around £13 inc del. I'll order something today and see how they perform (single disc order well within the limits of import duty etc.)

Let ya know..... :D

8. george1138

george1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They can be really slow. I am waiting for discs posted 10th May. They are blaming it on the postal strike. At the moment they reckon discs can take 30 days on average although mine usually take about 7/8 days. Customs wont touch them unless they are box sets etc which have been mailed in canada. Orders are individually packed and shipped in the UK. Dont ask me how they get them over here! :)

9. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've used them as my 1st choice for about my last 40 disks, recently the majority have been about 4-5 days but currently i am still waiting for traffic which they claim was posted ages ago!

10. Neil69

Neil69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I use Amazon.com to buy my R1 discs. They usually arrive within a week, except for just once when they 'forgot' to send me an order. They then used the ultra quick 5 day service & I was charged £10 by customs.
    Cheers, Neil :p

11. Koosnaff

Koosnaff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Slightly OT but I have ordered my last 30 or so disks from PLAY247, and I have *NEVER* had to wait more than 3 days for it to be delivered, (including R1 disks) and I think the postal strike excuse is a load of cack as I had a mail message Wednesday evening confirming that 2001 had been sent to their dispatch, and it was with me Saturday morning first post ...

12. mjwhitehouse

mjwhitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I order all of my DVDs from them and I have about 4-5 in the mail right now. They may be slightly slow but they always get here. Phone them up and ask them to phone back, they will do both and then talk to them about it. They have always been helpful to me. :)

13. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Got my "in the post" e-mail today from Box Off.

2 discs on their way
    1 still waiting for postage

lets see, the cloc is ticking.... :D

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with the above posts regarding delivery from 'boxoffice,however I have ordered probably in the region of 100 discs from them and have never had customs charges etc. Delivery times are are a strange one though as said before and times vary considerably. The quickest single DVD I had from them got to me in 4 days and the longest took about a month. I think you've just got to be patient as their customer service and prices are usually very good.

15. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Just received another order confirmation of postage/invoice from Box. This is for a second (unauthorised) copy of Twistere DTS.

I hope they solve this error for I shall be upset to be charged for it and then have to return it in the post.

Does anyone know how much this return to Canada is likely to cost. :confused:

16. george1138

george1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Box office will tell you to return it "regular post". My advice is to sent it recorded delivery. It will probably cost about £2 but it will get there quicker and they wont be able to say "we havent got it yet ;) . Email returns@dvdboxoffice.com and tell them you are returning it before you send it. Cheers

17. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks George

I have e-mailed them today but probably wont get a reply for another 12 hours (im hoping that it just in the out tray at their depot)

Ill be a bit miffed to be charged for their mistake and then have to pay to post it back again. :(

18. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    E-mail arrived from box last night to say that the problem was their error, see below:

"hello,

you have only been charged once for the film.. originally our computer system invoiced you because it said we had stock of the film in.. but when we went to package the title, we found that there wasn't stock, and so we credited your card back the money. We then invoiced you when the film came back in stock, and we have shipped the film to you. When you get your credit card bill you will have only be charged once.. you may see two charges... but you will also find a credit for the amount back."

So I am just awaiting the discs arrival (Twister, Titan AE & Erin Brokivich) Interesting to see what happens with the postage as they were all ordered seperately, Twister & Titan within hours of each other & Erin B 24hrs after that (although assuming Twister is delayed slightly because of the above)

Lets wait & see

:D :D :D

19. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    If you only ordered a single title per order then that's what you'll get. They don't package all your orders together.
    The most I've ordered in one day was five and all five arrived in their own packages.

As for delivery times - the most I had to wait for a confirmed delivery was seven weeks. Customs can hold back on whatever package they see fit.

20. george1138

george1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update on my discs posted 10th may. Finally got them this morning :D 'bout time too. Strange thing is among the delivery was a disc sent 7 days ago :confused: Did they really send them on the 10th May and were they really delayed because of the postal strike!!!!!!!!!! Anyway at least i've got a pile of films to watch :D

21. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    I order disks regularly from DVd box office and although i have had to wait a couple of weeks for them to get through to me the price justifies the wait. All my orders have been right (including the ones from 'Adult DVD box office') and have never had a problem with customs. So, i'm happy with them!

22. GarryF

GarryF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    That's funny, my disk ordered on 17th of may arrived today too.

Maybe a batch got held up ? or maybe they only send disk to europe once a month in a big box or maybe it was customs ?

23. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    My "traffic" turned up today after about a months wait with 4 other disks ordered in the last couple of weeks.

24. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +664
    Before Christmas I had to wait 5 weeks for U-571.

Considering that Play were £2 more expensive, I decided that it wasn't worth the risk of getting disks from overseas anymore.

This month I decided to give it a go again with Castaway, and found the DVDBO was about £15.80, but Play was only £15.99

Neadless to say, I ordered it from play and got it in 3 days.

My colleague is waiting for Traffic and Castaway from them.. Traffic is one week ahead of Castaway, but he hasn't even recieved that yet.

It doesn't seem worth it anymore... I am going to stick with Play247.

25. Koosnaff

Koosnaff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    up, as I said in an earlier response I am sticking with play247. They manage to get the disks to you *before* the release dates on occasions, and never more than 3 days after the order. My 2001:Space Odyssey box was delivered day before the official release, and my R2 CTHD turned up Saturday morning (16th) - and for £13.99inc Release date was Monday 18th... I don't even bother 'shopping around' now as for me, their service has been excellent, and I have never heard a bad word said against them by anyone...

26. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Got my Erin B & Titan AE today (ordered (9th June), no sign of Twister (but as per previous post). However Titan AE has arrived damaged... :(

It looks like it has not been placed in the box correctly (probably distributors fault as the seal had not been breeched). Should "Box's" employees picked this up before it was sent (as the case rattled like well, er, a rattle). Result is it looks like its been in the tumble dryer with a Brillo pad.

So we get to check out there returns policy :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

27. squareeyes

squareeyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking of using DVDBOXOFFICE but after reading some of the comments posted it has put me off. I`ve bought all my dvds from play247 so far.I don`t mind paying a quid or two more with the knowledge that i`ll get my disc in about 3-4 days usually. :)

28. george1138

george1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :cool: Me again. Box office seem to be sorting themselves out again. I ordered last night and it shipped today which is pretty good for them. Hope the delivery times are back to normal!!

29. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Reference my above post 17th June 01

and Box's reply to my duplicate invoice query. Having checked my card statement they indeed have invoiced me twice for twister @ £13.81 each, and then (as promised)refunded me only £13.25

So I am down 51p (UK sterling), a small amount I thought (perhaps just the difference in the daily exchange rate or is it something more sinister?

Take enough 50p's of enough people each of them unaware of the others situation it could amount to a lot of wonga (in the bigger picture).

Am I just paranoid or has this happened to anyone else?
    (after all I did not ask to be invoiced for a second time) :mad:

Sould I complain now or wait until after I recieve my disks (one of them Ive had to return @ £2.75 p&p because the disk mounting had been shipped broken thus a disc surface like a horror movie encounter with brillo pad had presented itself on opening) :mad:

So what do I do?

Answers on a postcard please :rolleyes: