Are DPFs really that bad/troublesome?

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by qwerty321, Feb 17, 2014.

1. qwerty321

qwerty321

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,583
    Hi,

Just a query on behalf of a friend really. He is currently looking at new cars around the 07/08 range and primairly Audi A4/Golf 2.0 TDI which come with DPFs. After reading up on various articles online, he is now backing away from cars with DPFs fitted. At a rough guess about 70% of his driving is motorway with the rest being short journeys around town.

Would a DPF give him grief or is it just a case of nothing positive being written on the net about them?

My personal thinking is surely it can't be THAT bad. But then again I know very little about them.

2. wongataa

wongataa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    If he is spending time on the motorway then a DPF should cause no problems. The issues seem to occur mainly when doing short trips and town driving. A good run to get everything up to temperature for reasonable amount of time (ie a motorway trip) is what the DPF filters like to work properly.

3. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    No simple answer.
    He may get no problems whatsoever (however, VW do seem to have more DPF trouble than others)
    And even if he does get the dreaded engine management light, a quick thrash might clear it.
    It would be a shame to panic/kneejerk and go for a petrol, when the diesels are otherwise so attractive.
    If he really wants to make sure he never gets any DPF trouble, go for a DPF delete.
    This is where they gut the internals out of the DPF, so it still looks like it's there for MOT purposes, and they modify the ECU so it doesn't get all uppity (approx cost £400.00).
    For the record, here's a list of DPF equipped cars I've owned that haven't had any DPF trouble at all.

Renault Clio 06-09 (low mileage, wife's car, no trouble)
    Ford Fiesta 09-12 (as above)
    Alpina D3 (my car, mostly town driving with occasional longer trip)
    BMW 320D (as above)
    BMW Mini Cooper D (had it 6 months, only town driving, no longer stuff yet, no DPF trouble)

4. car-man

car-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,442
    To be completely honest about DPF problems the cars I have seen with common DPF problems have been few and far between, indeed my mot garage has never seen a car with a DPF problem.

The most common ones I've seen are....in no particular order of being problematic.....

Citroen C5 2.2 engines.

Peugeots with the 2.2 engines.

Peugeot 307.

Audi A3.

Personally, I've not come across any others yet, although I bow to the knowledge fleet owners may have on the subject.

5. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,439
    My last 2 cars have had DPFs with no issues and I do around 10k miles a year with no huge amounts of long motorway miles. Never had an issue with either of them and it is the 170bhp VW diesel found in many Audi, VW, Seat and Skoda cars. So I would not worry too much about buying a Golf etc. with one fitted, especially considering the driving your friend will be doing.

6. reddevil74

reddevil74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    I had the dpf removed in my a4 (170bhp) last summer and have no regrets. Basically any amount of town driving for a period of time meant it blocked and I had to head out onto the dual carriageway and spend 15 mins thrashing it

7. Pawsher

Pawsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Had my first DPF warning on my Audi A1 over the weekend, just to say it needed regenerating, knocked it into 3rd, cruised at 2000 revs for a wile and it cleared .... no problem.

And reddevil ....if you still have the car, guessing you know about the new MOT laws regarding DPF removal ?

8. reddevil74

reddevil74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    Yes I still have the car and actually went through MOT last weekend again - the dpf is still there with its innards doctored and remapped

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  9. Pawsher

Pawsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Nice one :)

10. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Very interesting, cheers for that.

11. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,483
    Our Citroen C8 2.2 had mad problems. We did clear it once with some speedy nipping but the alert came back angrier and wouldn't leave. Problem is with buying a used car is that you have no idea of the driving habits of the previous owner (though obviously the man in the proverbial sheepskin coat will tell you it was a retired female doctor who only drove from one end of the M62 to the other twice a week to rescue orphans in her spare time) so it's a gamble. That said, not all cars you think might have one actually do. I was reading around regarding the C4 Grand Picasso we recently ended up with and there are whole rafts of VIN sequences which are not DPF-fitted and one can check the list online (so might be something worth investigating for any intended/shortlisted vehicle).

12. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    @ the OP.
    The 140bhp VW PD (pumpe duese) engines weren't fitted with DPFs, my Audi A3 sportback was one.
    DPFs started being fitted to the 170bhp version and were then fitted to the 140bhp when it went common rail (CR).
    If he can find a 140bhp PD engine on an 07/08, that's the end of the problem (not sure if he will)