1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are DLPs Noisy?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Dave Sayer, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Dave Sayer

Dave Sayer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well my old Sony 22" has given up the ghost so its time to come into the 21 century. Like many before me of I go into the valley of confusion, Im sure the salesman can smell us lemons out at 100 yards!
    Thinking I need a 42" plasma I start looking at those and realised I should be buying a set with HD possibility. Picture quality is top of the list, unfortunately I dont have the budget to go with it.
    Having worked out that the sets are usually around £2000 for HD (found Hitachi for £1389 with hd compatability) I turned around to walk out and saw the Toshiba 46wm48p. Comet were showing a dvd of a Grand Prix and it stopped me in my tracks. The price is around £1550 although Ive got it down to £1368 on the web.
    Thing is I had not heard of DLP tvs, but had heard bad things of rear projectors poor picture and vision angles. Reading through 2 hours of threads are the fans/wheels noisy? Having ducked down in the shop it was apparant the picture got a lot clearer/brighter. How noisy are the fans and colour wheel as anything like a humming really bugs me, how long do the bulbs last? I would be grateful for any replies. Cheers

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    As well as all of that (the answers to which, you will find here with a bit of browsing and/or searching) please make yourself fully aware of the rainbow issue with single chip DLP devices, and ensure that none of you/your family (etc) are part of the minority who simply cannot tolerate them.

3. fugitive

fugitive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the Toshiba 52" and it is very quiet. The noise has never bugged me.

4. gcambo

gcambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have had my Sammy SP46L6HX a week now, and having played around with the settings am very pleased with it, I can't see any rainbow effect, and you can't hear the fan unless you stick your ear right next to the back of the cabinet.
    My daughter has a 42" Panasonic plasma and I have to say the Sammy DLP picture is far better.

5. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have the new Samsung 46" DLP and I find it pretty noisy. There seems to be 2 sounds which I presume to be the colour wheel spinning and the fan. This produces a high pitch whine which is pretty obvious during quiet parts. When I turn the TV off the whine stops but the fan keeps going for a about a minute.

6. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I have the toshiba 46 and it can be a bit noisey when the sound is low on a night. But most times i watch it i have the amp running so sound never really bothers me.

7. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    my samsung sp50 makes no sound at all unless u put your ear at the back of the tv and close to air vent :)

8. www

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sammy SP46L6 is quiet - you have to go to the back of the TV to hear anything.

9. Lion

Lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    my LG 44 dlp is very quiet, you can hear the fan if you put your ear right up to the set but as I sit a few feet away I don't have any problem with noise at all. :thumbsup: