Are Denon planning to bring out a DVD with HDMI and Ilink?

Lobo

Established Member
Reaction score
I am planning to get a DVD with i-link capability and HDMI (to run off a Domino 20 projector).

I am looking at the Pioneer 868 but actually prefer Denon kit. Anyone know if Denon are planning to bring out a DVD with these two connections?

they already do i-link on A11

there is small rumblings that denon will hit the market with HDMI players later this year. probs around september.

leaving it a bit late for what is normally a very leading company.....

Well, not really given that HDMI capable displays are still rare as hens' teeth. By comparison DVI is almost commonplace.

well i mean tosh and V inc and panny (and im sure others) all have plans to have hdmi players on the market come the summer.... though as you say, we need a few more dislpays before it matters

ad

in theory, shouldnt hdmi2 negate the need for i-link?

ad

Yes in theory, thats right. if an amp could seperate the audio from video. which is what i suspect we will soon see.

As far as i know, SACD cannot be implemented over HDMI, only DVD-A.

Steve.

at present only 2 channel dvd-a can pass over hdmi
HDMI 2 should be able to pass multi channel audio up to 8 channels. I think SACD is planned for HDMI2

There is NO such thing as HDMI2 and Sony have not signed upto HDMI for SACD at this stage, nor do they look likely to. It is theoretically possible, customers might want it but to date Sony have shown no interest I know of. IEE1394 for SACD (DSD) yes

Sorry m8 . the term HDMI2 only refers to the update of HDMI to go full multi channel which IS in the works,

probaly still be called HDMI. But it is soon going to be updated to pass multichannel.

Why not just get a DVI to HDMI cable?

A nice link that shows multi channel has now been added to second generation HDMI. limited to dvd audio at present but i wager SACD will follow if sony want there format to succeed(which a few are saying that SACD is soon to die out), also more resolution have been added as well,

check out link

http://www.hdmi.org/press/release_010804.asp

second gen HDMI is more about bolt on extras then, via the newer chips

Also for any info you ever wanted on HDMI try this link

http://www.hdmi.org/pdf/HDMISpecInformationalVersion.pdf

Panasonic seem to be early adopters of HDMI v2, which seems to be included on their DVD-S97:
Highfidelityreview.com

Toshiba HDMI also seems to be v2 multichannel (see
alancolledge's thread "HDMI Toshiba SD-5960 news" started on this forum, 11Feb 04), which links to here:
CES 2004

Lets hope the amplifier manufacturers get in on it soon too!

Dave

Note that quote from the US Vice President of Panasonic Entertainment Group:

"(Panasonic) has no intention whatsoever of supporting SACD"

You can't say clearer than that!:eek:

Steve

Panasonic might not but others may, although since the Hybrid dvd audio discs there does now seem little point in the two standards.

We very may well be seeing the slow death of SACD
sony love there betamax`s dont they

Maybe due to the fact that it has DVD in its name that DVD-A will win, but SACD is the better of the two.

Long live SACD!!!!!

JMTPW.

How will HDMI benefit us with a projection system? We need audio to go to the amp and video to the projector, so the benefits of one cable to pass both are negated. However, if new amps have HDMI ins and outs, then one could go to the amp and then to the PJ and there could be some easy to implement and useful delay feature to keep the pic in sync with the sound, which can be a bit of a problem for some people at present.

I understand that HDMI is not limited to 8bit colour, so I can see this benefit in the future (HD-DVD?) and I like the idea of a 'standard' for multi-channel High-resolution audio too.

I think all those people with a DVI player now should not worry about upgrading to HDMI for at least a year, as the benefits will be little to zero! If you are looking for your first player with a digital pic output, then an HDMI player makes sense, or if you are also in the market for an upmarket amp as well then HDMI may also be worth considering.

Can anyone tell me if all these 1st and 2nd generation HDMI gadgets will be software upgradeable, so they will remain compatible with all future HDMI stuff?

Sorry for waffling!

Originally posted by Kane D Williams
I think all those people with a DVI player now should not worry about upgrading to HDMI for at least a year, as the benefits will be little to zero!

Unless you want the WM9 (is that what it is actualy called?) benefits that seem to be following.

To be honest, while you ask what hdmi gains for those with projectors, what on earth does it gain for those with tvs!? The tv not only hasnt got ability to display high resolutions but its speakers are not capable of playing back high res sound. Fair, HDTV's in the states can do the pictures, but the inclusion of sound strikes me as just a little bit daft. For most in this country, i cant imagine how their tv/dvd experience would be enhanced above rgb scart

ad

I agree with all your comments Buns.

With regards to WM9. I am usually an early adopter (I believe I was in the 1st 1000 to get both DVD and definately DVD-A in the UK, plus DD EX, DTS ES etc with AVC A1SE), but I am not going to jump on the WM9 train untill there is at least 10 titles I wish to own and that indicate it is a format that is here to stay and not be bettered any time soon! Things move on too quickly now and I don't want to keep shelling out for better versions of stuff I already have! Saying that, if I can get a WM9 player for aboyt £150, then I may take the plunge, even if I can only see T2 in HD! I really am a sucker!

BTW, have you seen the DVE disc on your Z2? The resturant scene just looks stunning! This upscaled 720p picture (from Yamakawa 365) looks how I imagine the average HD DVD movie to look and if so, I may have to play with myself the 1st time I pop in a true 720p/1080i disc!

well price considerations mean id try a wm9 player right away...... $200 isnt going to clean me out..... well assuming someone will buy my FS stuff! :mad: :D

I dont have DVE, ive had avia for years now so pretty much have stuck with it.

ad

I think the point with HDMI its down to wich chips are used as regards sound pass.
From the those links this was quite Clear. a DVD player will out put audio and pic VIA transmitter, an amp will have a pic and audio receiver, as well as a pic transmitter, a PJ will have a pic receiver. but no audio receiver.

simple realy

The second generation HDMI chip have loads more pins and there the first generation chips are incompatible with the full HDMI spec ones due at the end of the year (optomistic date?). Something like 68 poins as opposed to the current 40 something. This is why most are avoiding HDMI at the moment.

IEE1394 is however receiving MANY supporters so please don't write it off just yet. It is now on most pc AS STANDARD, HDMI is not and will not be either. [ DVI is for computers and HDMI is for AV]. Most HD Sat set top boxes in US and elsewhere are IEE1394 aware / equipped, NOT HDMI, though a few have a VERY limited DVI capability (big emphasis on limited). D Theater, camcorders and now SACD all use IEEE1394. It is vey effective audio interface (jitter etc) and chips are cheap. It ONLY starts to look expensive when transmitting video where additional MPEG decoder is needed but for audio it is a great solution. I think the future is not HDMI or IEE1394 but BOTH. I have argued this for years to Tag and others. If they just go down the HDMI route, how do I deal with my camcorder, HD Sat box, DTheater and SACD player?

Gandley, sorry if my last post seemed a little strong, wasn't meant to be but I just get frustrated by this HDMI thing and in particuler the HDMI2 thing and HDMI and DVI being identical. THEY ARE NOT.

IEE1394 is here, it has been for ages, it is cheap and it works, it is also the new 'standard' for pro audio, just look at the the pro mags for the huge number of IEEE1394 equipped music devices, it is the future, iit is here now, it is cheap, but is it in your future?

Denon will be bringing out a DVD-X1 which will be 100% digital (no analogue circuitry at all)! They will also have other components in this 'X' range (amp etc). You can read about them in What Video & Widecreen TV or whatever it's called now!?

It will have both DVI and HDMI, and as well as the Denon Link for DVD-A, it will also sport I-Link for SACD users (YIPEE)! It will also include line quadrupling and scaling etc. It will have a Denon designed loader and chasis that suposedly eliminates vibration. The specs are not set yet as the release date is not known and so more will be added (or taken away) as technology progresses prior to it's release. It sounds like it will be a landmark player being all digital, but I assume it will also cost the earth too, which is ironic, as I'm sure good analogue performance is more expensive to impliment than digital? It will apparently have the best chips on the market and be state of the art. Lets hope it is as good as it should be!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom