Are curry's guilty of false advertising?

tails007

Hi. I bought a TV a few days ago from curry's in store which is advertised on both the Web and in store as LED.

When I've got it home I've realised that the box says LCD, which is obviously the older technology.

Yesterday I went into a different curry's store and asked if the tv was LED, or LCD, initially they assured me it was LED, but after I insisted they check the box they agreed that it said LCD, and couldn't actually be sure what they were selling as the model number does not show up on the Panasonic website (have Adobe found out its just a Panasonic badge as the tv itself is made by a Turkish company called vestel).

Are curry's guilty in any way of false advertising if all of their literature and staff answers say LED, but the product says LCD?

If so, who do I raise this with? Thinking third party rather than in store at currys?

Secondly, I want to take the TV back as I feel I have been missold, however the tv had been unbowed and used very briefly. Do they have any right to refuse a refund?

Thanks!

Old Bones

Are curry's guilty in any way of false advertising if all of their literature and staff answers say LED, but the product says LCD?

No, but (in the nicest possible way) you are guilty of not really doing basic research about what you were buying. The first couple of paragraphs of this article would have told you what you needed to know.

LCD TV's used to have basically lit up tubes in the back, but about 5 years ago started using LED's instead. Where I worked, there were all sorts of combinations used to describe them, but the correct one (LCD backlit with LED) was such a confusing nightmare for all concerned (try saying LCD/LED 50 times a day) that LED became standard very quickly. We did have one lady who brought back her TV when Panasonic brought out their first LEDs, saying the same thing as you, and we had to explain what it meant. I'm surprised Curry's could have answered your question, but there it is.

Can you take it back? I assume so (I dont work for Currys), and if its a Turkish Panasonic, I doubt that will be much of a surprise for them. Its not a great TV. There is a great article on how to buy TV's on this site, and plenty of advice. The basics are getting the right size, having Freeview HD, the most HDMI's and a decent remote. And of course the best picture for your money.

tails007

Thanks for the reply. I'm defo guilty of that, impulse buy to replace the kitchen tv. As it was just for the kitchen I didn't do any research but to be honest, if curry's literature all say led, then the product itself says LCD then no amount of research woukd have pointed that out.

RustySpoons

The Vestel Panasonics say "Panasonic Marketing" on the back and made in Turkey, it seems even Panasonic don't really want to put their name to it, by saying "Panasonic Marketing" Lol

tails007

Attachments

• DSC_0362.JPG
    DSC_0362.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 370
  • DSC_0383.JPG
    DSC_0383.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 397

RustySpoons

tails007

Yea that's what I'm going to do. But my question originally was around the false advertising aspect. I get that there are technicalities involved but by labeling as LED in my opinion curry's are hoodwinking customers into believing they ate buying a newer technology than they really are. See photo from back of tv. Is there a body that I can report this to?

Attachments

• DSC_0384.JPG
    DSC_0384.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 442

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Yea that's what I'm going to do. But my question originally was around the false advertising aspect. I get that there are technicalities involved but by labeling as LED in my opinion curry's are hoodwinking customers into believing they ate buying a newer technology than they really are. See photo from back of tv. Is there a body that I can report this to?

You would have to report every major TV maker as well.

VIERA TV - 3D, Internet Smart TV | Panasonic UK & Ireland

There is no such thing as a pure LED TV, which a tiny amount of research would have revealed. A similar technology OLED (organic light existing diode) exists, currently at a much higher cost.

tails007

tails007

BM08

can i just ask, is there actually anything wrong with the tv's picture quality? if not is it really worth the hassle to pursue?

tails007

Its not great. Goes dark in the corners. Guess I'm just a bit ticked off that I feel that cirrus have not been upfront about what I've bought

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Ps not sure what your link points to? Cannot see my tvs model number there?

Look at the TV specs, Apart from the oled TV's they are all advertised as LED.

BM08

Its not great. Goes dark in the corners. Guess I'm just a bit ticked off that I feel that cirrus have not been upfront about what I've bought

Seems like you have more than one reason for returning it then, id return it for that alone.

Old Bones

Yea that's what I'm going to do. But my question originally was around the false advertising aspect. I get that there are technicalities involved but by labeling as LED in my opinion curry's are hoodwinking customers into believing they ate buying a newer technology than they really are.

As someone has pointed out, every manufacturer and retailer would be guilty of 'hoodwinking' customers, if that was the case. Every (non OLED) TV has LCD on the back, because its an LCD panel. The LED is the back lighting. Since LED has become a general term for this type of TV (and you wont find anything else in production apart from OLED, as gramethompson has said), calling it an LCD, LED backlight or whatever would be massively confusing, and serve no purpose. How has anyone been short-changed or fooled? The majority of my customers dont care what the panel is, or how its backlight, and thats perfectly sensible. They care about quality and value. Frankly, I would have expected this sort of complaint 5 years ago, (and even then, a little pedantic) but now its simply redundent. The 'experts' in the shop could have been clearer in their explaination, but even a very basic search on Google would have avoided any confusion in the first place.

As for the TV itself, if I was looking for a decent 48-50in TV, the Panasonic would not be it, and is there actually any need for 4K? I'd have advised a solid Full HD set, with the Samsung 48J5500 or the LG 49 630 being good contenders for less than £500 (£409 in the Samsungs case). The Samsung J6300 for £539 would have been even better in picture quality. If you want 4K, its going to need a good HD source, and a decent panel. £800 ish is what I'd expect to spend.

Stuartj1

I guess my point is, should I have to research? Surely I should be able to rely on the 'experts' in the shop.
There is the problem expecting expertise from shop personnel. I'm afraid they only get the most basic training and are not experts in general.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
All LED TV's are LCD. All LCD TV's aren't LED. I can't see the issue. The panel that produces the picture is always LCD. LCD does not emit any light so requires back lighting. Older fatter TV's uses CCFL back lighting (similar to normal flourescent tubes). These use a lot more power. In newer TV's the CCFL back lighting is replaced by energy efficient LEDs. In order to make the TV slimmer the cheaper TV's are edge lit, which naturally can give rise to uneven illumination especially in the corners. If the OP is unhappy with the set then fair enough, but rejecting it as being falsely advertised is bound to get nowhere because it is not. In any case the OP is going to have to pay a lot more money for a 4K set with better performance, which in any case will be advertised as LED and unless a very large amount of money is involved will also be LCD.

OLED TV's like Plasma create there own light so don't need back lighting. However they aren't as bright as a LED and really need viewing in subdued lighting. The contrast ratio is impressive, because the blacks are true black (no bleed from the non existant back lighting)

Read the pinned post at the top of this thread.

rhino2k

Distinguished Member
Of course you can take the TV back, Under UK law you have 14 days to change your mind and return.

As long as the TV is as new with all packaging you will have no problems at all.

However you have not been mislead at all, As pointed out LED is just the lighting used behind the LCD panel. And as far as I am aware for many years nobody has used the older CCFL lighting as it is not very energy efficient and has a poor performance. So you have got an "LED Backlit LCD TV" But a poor one.

MJH1962

Of course you can take the TV back, Under UK law you have 14 days to change your mind and return.

As long as the TV is as new with all packaging you will have no problems at all.

That is simply not true. The OP stated he bought it in store, so he has no legal right to return unless it is faulty or not as described, etc. currys may take it back, but their T&Cs state that it should be unopened.

The 14 day right to return only applies to goods bought at a distance, eg by phone or online.

rhino2k

Distinguished Member
That is simply not true. The OP stated he bought it in store, so he has no legal right to return unless it is faulty or not as described, etc. currys may take it back, but their T&Cs state that it should be unopened.

The 14 day right to return only applies to goods bought at a distance, eg by phone or online.

Ah I missed that bit, Thought he just wanted to return to store! Sorry OP!

This is why I always buy a TV online! And I am willing to pay extra to JL for the 90 day return policy on TV's.

IrritatedBadger

Distinguished Member

It's your fault for not researching what you bought. All TV manufacturers are guilty of this kind of marketing. In a store where they turn up the sets to the max with vivid and torch modes and won't display accurate modes on their display models, can you really expect any more from them?

MacrosTheBlack

Wow, been a member on here for nearly 10 years and went to buy a TV without even the basic understanding of the technologies available..... If only this forum had regular TV reviews and guides about buying a TV and the terminologies used.... Oh wait it does! :rolleyes:

Your second mistake was asking staff in Curry's for information and their opinion. They have no training of any value and 95% of them haven't a clue about the products they sell.

IrritatedBadger

Distinguished Member
Wow, been a member on here for nearly 10 years and went to buy a TV without even the basic understanding of the technologies available..... If only this forum had regular TV reviews and guides about buying a TV and the terminologies used.... Oh wait it does! :rolleyes:

Your second mistake was asking staff in Curry's for information and their opinion. They have no training of any value and 95% of them haven't a clue about the products they sell.

Exactly. They are there to make commission and to make Curry's / the like look like they care.

PC1975

Distinguished Member
LED is a well established term that's been used for years for LED lit LCD TVs so you wouldn't have a leg to stand on re being miss sold imo. Your best bet is to return it because of the darkening which you're unhappy about. I don't envisage them being difficult to deal with if you are polite and genuine but if you start going on about miss selling they might change their stance.

You should at the very least be able to exchange it for something else. Take your time and have a good proper look at other models in store before buying.

Samsung Series 6 TV's are a safe bet imo, ie any Samsung model number that begins with a 6 (after the initial five digits which all start with UE then the screen size followed by the letter which denotes the range - so a 40" H6400 would read UE40H6400).

Last edited:

darkan9el

Go and get your money back and find a Richer Sounds branch, they employ people who actually know about the products they sell, they also give great service and long warranties. I have a Sammy UE55JS8500 very nice TV with a 6 year warranty.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom