1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are CRT prices falling too far?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by garyc, Apr 4, 2005.

1. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,

Are these ol beasts prices falling, some arn't even selling, but why?

Is it that the market is so limited now that the supply out strips the demand OR are LCD/DLP getting better at catching up?

Its just I have been looking out for one such ol CRT for sometime, probably barco and what was once out of reach is now becoming a possibility. ie. last week an 808 sold on ebay for a little over 300quid. Although it would be a gamble for a newbie like me buying from ebay. And you would probably pay more for one sold via the forum but how much more could say a 808 demand on the forum. double, triple ......etc?

It could be said that lesser models would not sell at all and may have to seek a good home rather than going to the skip!!!!

From a buyers point of view what ever price you pay you have to accept the fact that unless the price you pay is at rock bottom which would mean you would just get your money back if you have to sell on or more likely not be able sell at all!!

I would be interested in other views/prices on CRT's

Gary

2. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well my first projector was a LCD model. I bought it in late 2000 for £3000.00 and sold it late last year for £300.00! Thats what I call depreciation :) In most part CRTs are unacceptable due to physical size and appearance. They look out of place just about every where other than a dedicated room. I think prices are dropping but no faster than any other technology. Yes you can pick CRTs up for a few hundred pounds but I wouldnt vouch for the condition of these units ;)

3. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    Prices of used CRTs vary a great deal because of the remaining life, and the amount of time, effort and money you would have put in to get it serviceable. Smaller and older units that are not worth a great deal secondhand, will effectively be written-off if the expensive-to-replace tubes are worn out. I don't think I would buy one until I had seen a satisfactory demonstration first.

Conversely, the very up-market models are highly sought-after because they are worth more than the tubes alone. You will never discover exactly what is recorded on a good DVD until you see it on a good CRT, but they are a labour of love.

4. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary,
    To reitterate what Nick & Thunder have said-the crt prices that are falling mainly pertain to the older /cheaper models like the Seleco 995,The Barco 600`s and 700`s(not the 708).

You get the odd Barco 808 data-normally high hour,heavy wear on tubes,no support etc..

Models like the G70,any LC model,Runco 992 Ultra`s,ALL 9" are making the same money now as they were last year.

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    supply and demand

Like anything cars, houses, boats that have had previous owners. Know what you are getting into you can get a bargin, a very expensive mistake or a very satifactory purchase.

Prices have fallen a little due to the greater competition and increased availability of good machines. there have always been cheap projectors going on Ebay and people are naturaly wary. The classifieds on this forum don't get the readership they deserve and they will be private sales.

There have never been enough 9" CRT's to satisfy demand so prices will stay high.

6. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Roland,

I haven't heard much of B4 in recent times, hope you are still in the barco market. I did email you a few weeks ago just to check that the used barco supply is still plentiful and didn't mind the travelling down to sunny.

Gary

7. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To pick up on a point Roland mentions,it is right to be wary of cheap machines on E-Bay.

But this needs further clarification.

For Example;-

You buy an old Seleco 195 of a "0" feedback seller for £200 and the chances are its hammered with 12,000 hrs and comes out of a pub or been aquired by a warehouse who has bought a clearance- and not worth £50..OR its being sold by a private individual and its a nice little starter machine and £200 is actually a bit of a bargain because its only done 100 hours.
    One needs to ascertain the reality of the situation by asking questions,viewing the crt etc..

Pictures really are not worth a light-you need to see the item.

Then you see a situation-where its a private auction(stay away from these like the plague!),you will get situations where the seller will say the item is packed up,he doesnt know much about it,its sat in storage for 5 years etc..

Seldom are these responses genuine and can indicate the item doesnt even exist-is a scam,if it does exist it could be total cr*p..
    again I would recommend buyers stay away from such situations.
    I have closed down many scammers on E-Bay.

Then,as mentioned many times before,their is perceptions of what is a true bargain.

A true bargain is a Barco 808 graphics with tubes with no wear,under a couple of thousand hours for less than 2k.From a reputable E-Bay seller with a track record of selling crt,with high feedback,who will support and advise.

As an example there is a Barco Data on E-Bay at the moment-auctions probably over now-that I guess has sold for 600 quid or something?
    Now this had 3,000 odd hours-the seller said the tubes were a 7.
    Theres a high possibility that the green at least may need replacing-if not the blue as well..so that crt to be brought upto to tiptop will cost another 2k-assuming .... theres not anything else wrong-because IF the buyer cannot demo how can he ascertain if there not an intermittant fault,or dodgy picture-dodgy video board etc..

So whatever this is a real chancer-and I dont think a bargain.

Better surely to buy from a reputable seller-wherever they sell-and get something whereby you know the score.

Im not talking as a seller here-but as a buyer,I wouldnt have bought this Barco..far..far..too sketchy in terms of info provided etc..and for the tube situation-NOT a good deal.

And this is the rub..there will be people now that believe the worth of ALL subsequent Barco 808s that turn up on E-Bay is a few hundred quid.

NO!!! the worth of this one was. With mint tubes and low hours it would be 2.5k.

I lament some of the stuff that is sold on E-Bay because it is NOT indicative of the quality that CAN be had-I sell some crt`s on E-Bay-I would never have sold something like this-if I had ,I would have banged it out for £500 BIN.

unfortunetly,there is a perception -almost a snobbery directed to people that sell on E-Bay in the u.k.-every seller can get tarred with the same brush-i resent this and resent the fact that perception of prices of quality crts is based on such as mentioned above.

In the u.s. the three biggest sellers of crt in North America and Canada- sell primarily on E-Bay-there isnt the snobbery there.

8. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    I have a selco 320 c r t projetor which has done a total of 170 hrs when i put it up for sale on this forum i had no takers do you think asking £700 for it is to much like you say crt selling is a bit of a mine field and people dont whant to buy crt because of there size and difculty in seting up to get the best from them am i right in this

9. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I agree with everyone on everything!

and I for one intend to get a CRT from someone via this forum, when I ever get around to finishing my self build garage conversion!!

seleco 320 how would that compare to a barco 801? ie. inputs, setup, picture etc

Gary

10. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No its not that..7" crt is a hard sell at the moment..because most are upgrading to 8 and 9"..or if they are going the 7" route are only looking for specific top 7" like Runco DTV-943`s(Cine 7),Sony 50HTU..the Zenith PRO 900X is nice,The Nec 6pg`s..
    Some still go for the Seleco 800`S,though the above seem to be more popular.

11. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Gary I missed your email sorry. I'll reply.

Yes I've been away but I'm back. Trying to get the web site running. got a whole load of projetors to put in

Note to self, not to mention Ebay again.

12. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No need to be facetious! :thumbsup:

Its alright to mention E-bay mate,I just wanted to elaborate on your comment of "cheap projectors on E-bay"..

Chill.. :)

13. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I forgot

14. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rolly..How can you forget me?

I want my pressie back! :)

15. crispybig

crispybig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  16. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Why has some one had brand new projector on the shelf for over 10 years?

17. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Waiting for an install?

18. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    OR waiting for an email reply from B4 : :boring:

PS. sorry only joking Roland:devil:

19. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats a little unfair,I had a communication from Roland last week-really fast..
    Wells Fargo offer a wonderful service!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Just kiddin guys.. :rolleyes:

20. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    and not forgetting they do do exceedingly good biscuits:smashin:

21. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
  22. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your kiddin` Chris? bit of dodgy bidding going on there I think! :thumbsdow

23. crispybig

crispybig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Strange thing is, the high bidder KAS160 has bought a couple of Barco CRTs and and a couple of digitals already this month. And I've seen him feature in other CRT bidding. One would assume he knows at least a bit about what he's doing!

24. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    my guess it is for a pub.

25. Will Austin

Will Austin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm try'n to locate information on what it takes to project Hi-Def on a Sony VPH 1272? I have the IFB card,but can't seem to find the correct switch settings? wise_tk@bellsouth.net..HELP?

26. Will Austin

Will Austin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IFB 12 for Sony VPH 1272 Correct Card Switches set?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm try'n to locate information on what it takes to project Hi-Def on a Sony VPH 1272? I have the IFB card,but can't seem to find the correct switch settings? wise_tk@bellsouth.net..HELP?

27. crteaman

crteaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Guess what, They are for a pub and.....I have got to install them, dont normally get involved with pubs, but Kevin seems serious about what he's doing,I hope to pick them 'all' up later this week when I'm up that way.

james