Question Are cosmetic LED RAM Heatsinks safe?

PerfectBlue97

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to jazz up a modestly speced PC to make it look a little less like the PC that your parents buy you to do your school stuff on. Which is essentially what it is.

I've put in a whole bunch of LED components and other cosmetic parts, but it still looks a little dull, then I saw these online:

US $20.33 15% OFF|2pcs Memory Heatsink Motherboard AURA Cooling Vest RGB 256 Color Light Radiator-in Fans & Cooling from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

They're clip on attachments that make basic RAM look like gaming RAM.

They look OK, and they're in my budget, but are they safe?

The PC currently has 8 gigs of basic everyday DDR4, and they don't need a heatsink. But I'm worried that because all of the LED heatsinks in my budget are cheap Aliexpress type units they might actually do the opposite of what they're supposed to do, trap heat, and cause the memory to overheat.

Putting all other factors aside (such as them being a non essential cosmetic item) does anybody know if these really do act like propper heatsinks, and if they are safe to use?

Personally i would never buy anything electrical from Aliexpress ,
it's all cheap Chinese knock off stuff , with no regrades to any safely laws to any any where in the world.. IMO.
:)

Personally i would never buy anything electrical from Aliexpress ,
it's all cheap Chinese knock off stuff , with no regrades to any safely laws to any any where in the world.. IMO.
:)

Ok ... well ... it's a good thing that I'm not particularly sensitive about this topic. My own personal experience is that I've never really had any problems with Chinese electronics, and I've used a LOT of Chinese electronics in my time. All of the electronics in my last apartment were Chinese. On account of it being located in China (Hint, Hint).

It's a little off topic, but probably about 75% of the electronics that you're currently using are Chinese, and about 90% of your electronics will contain Chinese components. It's all the same stuff that comes on Aliexpress, coming out of the same factories. But it's been rebadged and a 60% markup has been added on top. If you're using the latest iPhone, a significant amount of it is made by a Chinse company called Foxcon. They also make the Nintendo Switch. The latest xBox Is also made in China. Samsung, Hitachi, Sony, Panasonic, all of the big Western and Japanese\Korean electronics firms are dependant on Chinese manufacturers for components and\or assembly.

No hard feelings, but I think that the idea of Chinese products being dangerous is mostly a myth spread by people buying fake branded products and then getting upset when they realize that the fakes are cheaper for a reason. Or people buying ultra budget products for next to no money and then wailing when their 5 buck charger has all of the safety features that you'd expect in a charger that costs 5 bucks (including shipping and handling).

Anyway, back on topic. I can check the electrical safety myself. That's not to difficult for such a simply product. I'm more interested in knowing if cosmetic heat sinks like this actually trap heat.

The RAM that the PC has doesn't require a heat sink, so I'm not expecting any performance boost, I'm only interested in it for the cosmetic effect.

If you must do it then the best bet is to use thermal pads to allow it to act as a heatsink. If it's a modestly specced PC though, it's hard not to feel the money is better saved/spent elsewhere rather than on the aesthetics of the system.

If you must do it then the best bet is to use thermal pads to allow it to act as a heatsink. If it's a modestly specced PC though, it's hard not to feel the money is better saved/spent elsewhere rather than on the aesthetics of the system.

I've already put the PC together. It's a solidly made Pentium based PC with enough power to still be relevant in the future. The "modest" part is that it's only using onboard graphics. As it's not a gaming PC. No Photoshop, no rendering, no video editing. So no need. I still want it too look nice.

Some of them include thermal pads, so that shouldn't be a problem.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom