1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are cinema soundtracks remixed for DVD or not?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Reiner, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Does anyone have an insight into this, i.e. are soundtracks for DVD remixed, e.g. are changes made like volume levels - not necessarily entirely redone though we know the latter has been done (Das Boot, Terminator 2 etc.) or are they just copied, i.e. the master is just run through and encoder and that's it?

2. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe they are yes. For example, I know the treble is tamed quite a lot...it dosen't have to travel as far in the home as it does in a cinema...I believe there is a piece on this on the THX website. I'll have a look and post a link if I find anything.

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,840
    There are quite a few releases which are remixed for the home, most notably DTS-ES Discrete tracks as this is a home technology (there are no discrete soundtracks in cinemas).
    Like Brian said THX, DTS and Dolby will have features on their websites if you are interested.

4. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,128
    If they are, then someone is making a lousy job of some of them.

Dean

5. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think The Lion King was the first of Disney's releases to feature a special DTS track mixed for the Home Cinema.

6. shoalin kid

shoalin kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    was nt blade 2 remix for hc ,one of the best for me if only they all put the same sort of effort in

7. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That answer your question? Blade II is mixed in dts es discrete.

8. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Some companies will mix their soundtracks for home theatre, most notably companies that use Micasa to master their dvd soundtracks, these include New Line and Artisan.

But many others leave their soundtracks totally the same, and this is why they require some sort of re-eq for Home Theatres (thats where THX re-eq comes in).

The fact that cinemas do not (currently) use a discrete storage method for the EX/ES channel does not mean that films HAVE to be remixed to have a DTS-ES discrete soundtrack. The films have a 6.1 master, and from that the DTS-ES Discrete track can be encoded. (Gladiator R1 is an example of a non-remixed DTS-ES Discrete track)

The reason we associate 6.1 discrete with remixed tracks is due to the work of the aforementioned MiCasa. Who are responsible for many of the DTS-ES Discrete remixes for home (Blade II for example).

P.S. The new DTS cinema decoder can decode 6.1 (and more) discrete soundtracks for cinemas (if those were ever to appear!) Check it out

9. dsw182

dsw182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I know Seven was had completely remixed sound. There is even some documentary materials about how it was done, on the DVD.