Are centre or front priority-Monitor Audio/Kef

GarethG

Novice Member
Buying in a few months 5 new speakers for 90% HC use in 19ftx11ft room.

Had narrowed my audition list to the following
MA RS5 RS LCR + rear
MA radius 225 + rear
Kef iQ5 + iQ6c + rear

I was advised, by MA, that a system based on BR5 and BR centre would actually be better.

All three, well now four options, have front speakers valued at around £400 a pair.

The centres seem to range from
Bronze £130
Radius 225 £200
RS LCR £250
iQ6c £300

I know price isn't everything but seems these are similar manufacturers and 3 from MA I would guess that you get what you pay for to a certain extent? So will the Bronze BR5 offer good fronts and good stereo but weaker for the most important speaker?

Any others I should consider at this price range, i.e. £1000 for 5 speakers?
Due to young children I want either wall mounted speakers or fairly stable floorstanders

Thanks

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
To be honest you are talking about centre channel speakers that are to all intensive purposes around about the same price. There will be differences in performance between them and I would put my money on the RSLCR being the best sounding to me.

Until you start considering centre channels that are around the £500-£1500 on ther own you will not hear major differences in sound quality between them. There will inevitably be sound character differences but not necessarily sound quality differences.

GarethG

Novice Member
I'd agree with that.
I was between MA Radius, Silver or Kef iQ5 as fronts and the relevant centres -all around £250-300 mark, but when MA advised me the bronze range is actually better for HC in room my size I noticed the relevant centre is about half the price.
As centre was my priority I was concerned that my emphasis was moving?

Any thoughts on this and these systems?

Sorry if this repeats my 1st post but can't remember what I said in that!

GarethG

Novice Member
Any more thoughts on this combination?

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
We're fairly new Monitor Audio dealers, but from what I've heard so far, the Bronze 5's are a fair bit better than the iQ5's for music, so we'd recommend the MA combination, particularly if music is one of your main priorities.

The Radius is a more discreet option, but won't match the Bronze Reference for movie or music quality. But then again, they are wall mountable.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom