1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Celestion subs any good?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Jim McC, May 21, 2004.

1. Jim McC

Jim McC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking for a budget sub & came across an 8", 100 watt Celestion sub, model S20, on Best Buy website. Does anyone know if they make quality subs? The price is right but I don't know anything about Celestion. My room is 12'X17'X7' tall, do you think 100 watts is enough power? Thanks.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    they arent reknowned for their sub making..... the only one I have ever heard was alot more expensive than this and im almost certain it was about 30% too expensive compared to its rivals

ad

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Celestion are tied up with KEF and tend to sell the budget equipment priced below KEF.

As to the Celestion S20 subwoofer, I have had a quick look on Google UK and come up with nothing.

Looking on the Celestion website it would appear that this model was only sold in the American market and was normally sold as part of a complete speaker package. The UK version was the S10 which had a different driver and a more powerful amp.

4. amackie

amackie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Celestion are a long-time British speaker manufacturer, now owned by the same company that owns KEF, and have shared manufacturing operations. For example, spot any similarities between Celestion S10 and a KEF PSW2000 subs ? In terms of brand names though, KEF seems much more fashionable in the UK. People will go nuts trying to buy second hand KEF kit on eBay, but wouldn't think twice about Celestion, even if it's virtually the same product!

As for the S20, a review at http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?print_page=y§ion_id=3&article_id=481&page_number=1 says it has "good extension with modest output". If you're on a tight budget, want a budget sub to complement some small satellites, and the S20 is at a discounted price, I'd reckon it's worth considering ($99 ? Down from $299 ?) If you're after a "serious sub" though with room-shaking bass, you'll need to spend a lot more!

http://www.celestion.com
    http://www.kef.com

5. G Ras

G Ras

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Celestion has been a staple of the english hi end market for many moons and to make the blanket statement that they have a tendency sell budget products is false.... true they sell some inexpensive models but they have always sold hi-end audiophile quality products and pour lots of money into R&D. They are one of they better companys out there.

As far as the sub-woofer goes..... I feel it is over-priced