1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are "back projection TVs" a stop gap solution

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ash007, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Ash007

Ash007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are back projection TVs a bit of a stop gap solution till Plasma's take over.
    Put another way,
    If Plasma screens and back projection TVs were both the same price, would their be any reason or advantage to buying a back projection TV? Are they better in any way?

Any help appreciated,

Ash

2. tahustvedt

tahustvedt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plasma screens have Impressive picture quality and are very bright, they can be used in any lighting conditions. The price is the problem with plasmas.

All the rear projection TVs I have seen have been disappointing. I don't see why anyone would buy one. I have seen the Thomson 44" and 52" and a couple of other brands. A projector is the way to go in a home cinema IMO.

If I was filthy rich I would get a plasmascreen for watching TV, and a Marantz or Sharp 16:9 DLP-prosjektor for my home cinema. :) No, a Barco Cine9 for my home cinema. :D

Tor Arne

3. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why not a barcodata cine 12"

4. tahustvedt

tahustvedt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't know there was a Cine12. :D

5. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    very rare i think they stopped making them, replacement tubes cost £9000 each.

6. Ash007

Ash007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I watch much more TV than Films. Is a Front projector generally for film watching, with the curtains drawn and the lights out, rather than for general TV watching? Is the only advantage of a projector the size? Is plasma screen quality better than the front projectors as well?

Thanks,

Chris

7. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I generally prefer the picture you get from a projection system (Front or Back) over a plasma display. I like the matt affect you get, akin to the cinema. I generally dont like plasmas as a rule

8. trooper1212

trooper1212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I had a rear projection set for a year before buying my projector and was perfectly happy with it. I bought the pj intending to use the rp for tv and the pj for dvd. However I now use the pj for everything and haven't switched on the tv for weeks. This has been over the winter months, so having the curtains closed hasn't been issue, but with the summer coming up I'm not sure I could stand it though.

T.

9. Linfield

Linfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can some real bargins with a RP and I have a Tosh RP and the picture is excellent. Though our SimII PJ is rather tasty as well.

I recently seen a very nice sony RP one with those "Wet Look" screens. Only proble with RP is the viewing angle. Look at a few but you can get some real bargins. My M8 just bought a 61" Tosh for £1800.

10. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a few CRT RP TV's and have to admit that convergence, geometry, colour bleed and an overall softness to the picture meant that they were less than ideal but the only real choice if you wanted a big screen but couldn't go the FP route.

Then I saw a Sony KL50W2 LCD RP TV and bought one. Convergence and geometry is perfect (and I mean PERFECT), no colour bleed and the picture is very sharp and clear. Perhaps you might consider LCD as a better alternative to CRT in an RP TV. Better still, check out the Sony Grand Wega (prices have come down a LOT) which has uniform screen brightness, a wider viewing angle and that stunning 'suspended in mid-air' look.

IMHO as long as RP TV's are available LCD will always have the best picture. By far.