Are any of you using Apeture??

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by Ned Senior, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Ned Senior

Ned Senior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    How do you find it?? Easy to use for a novice??

also have you compared it to the other available similar programs? And, do you use another photo editing package in conjunction with it

I am umming and ahhing over whether to go mac or pc so exploring all avenues here

Thanks

Phil

2. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,063
    Aperture gets frequently compared to Adobe's Lightroom and the split on users seems to be about equal. Aperture gets called the best in terms of organising and storing your content and I guess people who are used to Photoshop, Bridge, etc like Lightroom.

There were quite a few interesting comparisons a while back, I'll have a look for some later.

3. Ned Senior

Ned Senior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    Thanks I was just about to hit the apple site to see if there is a demo or tutorial

have a nice day now :)

4. Monopot

Monopot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Yep there is a 30 day trial of aperature. I tried it and found it overkill for my needs but it still looked good.

5. Ned Senior

Ned Senior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    Think I will try it on billy the kids mac.. I need something just a little more than iPhoto for my editing needs as that is a little too basic

6. Monopot

Monopot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    You can also get trials of Photoshop and Photoshop Elements if your interested. I am trying Elements at the moment and finding it quite good so far.

7. Ned Senior

Ned Senior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    A lot of folk in the photography section say Lightroom is very good... BUT it is a lot more expensive too!

8. Elrond

Elrond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,166
    I tried both Aperture and Lightroom but opted for Aperture, I can't explain why but it just seemed more professional and finished. I have since upgraded to Aperture 2.

Asking here your more than likely going to get preferences of Aperture (correct me if I'm wrong) so download both Aperture and Lightroom trials and see what suits you! Although as per your post in the Photography section if you don't get a Mac your decision is made for you!

Also you could go into an Apple store and don't they have Aperture already loaded? If so see if you can walk out without a box in your hand and pocket feeling a bit lighter!

9. Oldboy1934

Oldboy1934

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I use Aperture daily, I use it to manage and process (at a reasonably basic level) thousands of photos and have to say that it's invaluable to me. That being said, I couldn't use it on its own without Photoshop.

I've actually never used Lightroom, although I did trial it and Aperture together when both apps were in beta stage and for what I needed it for Aperture won out.

So, question is, what do you need it for? Aperture's image processing tools are good and much better than iPhoto, you can process a lot of photos easily and quickly and get great results. However for me as I said its real power is as a library. Finding an image from a specific job over the last 3 or 4 years that I have stored on one of many drives is a cinch. On the other hand for some proper photo editing and retouching and the ability to get creative, Photoshop is king. So it's really Photoshop & Aperture in combination for a large library of images.

Lightroom takes some of Photoshop and combines it with some of Aperture into an "all in one". Not as heavy an app as Photoshop, but IMO not as easy to use to manage large collections of images. However many argue that the quality of Adobe's output is greater than that of Apples, particularly with reference to a camera's RAW images.

Photoshop Elements as I see it is probably much more in competition with iPhoto - both good but basic photo editing apps.

If I were you I'd be inclined to look at Lightroom first and see if it covers your needs. Then take a look at Aperture and see how it measures against it.

10. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,063
  11. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,196
    Don't forget that Aperture is not for editing photo's like Photoshop does...It is for organisation and basic processing of photo's. In my opinion when you shoot in RAW you have to go down the Aperture route as iPhoto converts any edit to a jpeg...And from an organisation perspective Aperture integrates fully within Apple's media browser which means that any of your albums, stacked pickers and settings automatically get carried over in the application that you want to use....So no more need for exporting a file in exactly the correct format etc...

I like it a lot and find it invaluable...But I do need to use pixelmator for where I really want to edit a photo....