Are any discs supporting 7.1?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bren, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Bren

Bren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Apologies if this is in the wrong place please move if it is. My question is are there any Hd-dvd or Blu-Ray that are in 7.1? I just assumed they all did but looking through my collection i cant seem to find any.

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    There are a couple of BluRays, but they are very much the exception - I see this as very much something they may do in the future a lot more - on both/either hidef format!

http://www.blu-raystats.com/index.php

3. zircon3035

zircon3035

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    I've got a German release of a Thai movie on HD-DVD "Der Geist von Mae Nak" with 7.1 sound, bought via Amazon in Germany. It may be of limited appeal here though, as it only has Thai and German soundtracks.

Ian

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Blu ray have one called something like Daddy's little girls or something like that and HD DVD has T2 coming soon but these are really the exception rather than the rule. People aren't mixing for 7.1 at the moment and the 'old' 7.1 mixes are incompatible with the current speaker arrangements we use.

5. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    Hi Nic,

Bit confused by this one...7.1 would have the two side surrounds as per 5.1, with a pair of rear surrounds...Or at least thats what my Yammaha Z9's instructions say. A stereo extension of DTS ES descrete?

Or is there another type of 7.1 mix ?

Thanks,
    Lee

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    There is another type of mix. Most 7.1 sound tracks come from Sonys SDDS sound system for cinemas (which was very good) going back a few years now however they had 5.1 at the front and 2 at the rear / sides. We now think of 7.1 as 3.1 front, 2 sides and 2 rears so any of these titles would need re mixing. In the past few years cinema releases in 6.1 are 'small in number' and 7.1 are non existent. I am sure someone can provide the exact figures but new 7.1 mixies aren't really happening atm.

7. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    Axell are doing that film 50% off £7.99:smashin:

8. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,608
    Just to clear up some confusion here.

Many amps have amplification/outs for 7.1. However, the decoding from your DVDs is only up to 6.1.

Due to the audio equivalent of a 'trick of the eye', any sound coming from directly behind the listener can sound like it's coming from directly in front of the listener.

Subsequently, we have a lot of '7.1' amps which have amplification for two centre rear speakers, but where the sound coming from them is identical; it's two speaker mono. In other words, the soundtrack is still only 6.1.

The new audio format can carry two stereo centre rears. True 7.1.

For myself, I'm most worried about starting to get 6.1.

I've listened carefully to 5.1 v 6.1 demos, and the centre rear does make a difference on occasion, but I'm struggling to hear how 7.1 could improve on this.

Steve W

9. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    H There,

I knew that DVD's only curently went up to 6.1, and even then its only DTS ES discrete !

DD EX is a kind of pro-logic matrix which extracts from the rears of the 5.1 mix....

With my older Ax1, I used to use a Y splitter on the rear of the 6.1 and send it to a power amp. The idea of the dual mono at the back was to give a more difused soundfield.

Alas there are few DTS ES discrete mixes, and not that many DD EX either (star wars!)...Though my Z9 can process the rear chanel of normal 5.1 with DPL2x, though it can sound a little false if not encoded that way.

Cya,
    Lee

10. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,608
    A few points.

Firstly, DD EX and dts-es matrix (not all dts-es soundtracks are discrete) are still very good.

Secondly, almost all SD DVDs of films which were 6.1 at the cinema are 6.1 matrix on DVD, even though it often doesn't say so on the package.

Thirdly, a properly set up cinema should have rear speakers (as well as sides) which are also used for 5.1 sountracks (with the right hand rear wall speakers outputting the same as the right side speakers - ditto on the left).

This should be replicated at home, and you can only replicate this with a 7.1 system.

Fourthly, and contrary to popular misinformation, this becomes more important in small rooms. If you only have side speakers, and because of your small room these are close to your ears, there will be a massive hole in the soundfield. Anything supposed to be coming from behind you will sound like it's coming from the left, if you're sat closer to your left wall, and vice versa. This is solved if you have centre rears.

Steve W

11. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    Hi There,

Curious. While i don't dispute the logic, i've never seen an option on 7.1 amp to send a copy of the surrounds to the rears - You'd expect this, if there wasn't a discrete option....

My Yammy Z9 has ES/EX/DPL2Xmusic/DPL2Xmovie as its options IIRC but no combined, Seems somewhat odd now i think about it.

Ta,
    Lee

12. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,608
    This is true.

However, your amp will pull information out of the sides for the centre rears.

In brief, the decoder looks for signals which are identical in both RS & LS channels, and removes them, feeding them instead to your centre rears.

This usually gives a close aproximation of what we're after.

It occasionally fails to work properly, but you can always switch to 5.1. At least you have the option!

But I agree. On 5.1 soundtracks there should be an option in your decoder to simply duplicate your right surround signal in your right centre rear speaker - ditto for the left.

And let's face it, this would not be difficult.

Steve W

13. hottstuff

hottstuff
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Weeds S2 on BD has 7.1 PCM audio.
    Seems to be a good bit out there.