are "antique" pine kitchens outdated?

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I almost take it as an insult when a viewer says my house needs updating.The bathroom was fitted 4 years ago and has got loads of modern features d shped shower bath , poncey fittings etc,low voltage halogen lights etc so i cant think they mean that.There are loads of original features like fireplaces stainglass windows which if any buyer removed i would sue them on the grounds of vandalism.Stripped pine doors and original cupboard and welsh dresser both fitted.No i dont think they can mean all that.So it leaves the kitchen which we had fitted 16 years ago and is in a kind of antique finish pine .Looks almost as good as the we had it fitted.Maybe the inbuilt fridgefreezer( which I hate now buit its too late- always buy free standing) or it could be the fact i artexed the walls to hide nasties,into a rough plaster finish.I know people hate artex these days .I just plastered it on the wall with a brush in all directions and painted over.
My wife was thinking of painting the cupboards:eek:sod that!Think if i was moving in I would just tile the floors(its got vinyl) , fit new work surfaces on and replastered the walls.Mind you my bedroom might put a few ppl off because i colourwashed it a kind of orangey colour on very pale yellow background and painted all the woodwork a dark pink with cupboards in magnolia and a blue carpet- very hippie!:DI love my bedroom, its like a sodding great womb

Last edited:
I almost take it as an insult when a viewer says my house needs updating.The bathroom was fitted 4 years ago and has got loads of modern features d shped shower bath , poncey fittings etc,low voltage halogen lights etc so i cant think they mean that.There are loads of original features like fireplaces stainglass windows which if any buyer removed i would sue them on the grounds of vandalism.Stripped pine doors and original cupboard and welsh dresser both fitted.No i dont think they can mean all that.So it leaves the kitchen which we had fitted 16 years ago and is in a kind of antique finish pine .Looks almost as good as the we had it fitted.Maybe the inbuilt fridgefreezer( which I hate now buit its too late- always buy free standing) or it could be the fact i artexed the walls to hide nasties,into a rough plaster finish.I know people hate artex these days .I just plastered it on the wall with a brush in all directions and painted over.
My wife was thinking of painting the cupboards:eek:sod that!Think if i was moving in I would just tile the floors(its got vinyl) , fit new work surfaces on and replastered the walls.Mind you my bedroom might put a few ppl off because i colourwashed it a kind of orangey colour on very pale yellow background and painted all the woodwork a dark pink with cupboards in magnolia and a blue carpet- very hippie!:DI love my bedroom, its like a sodding great womb

Well, speaking as someone tentatively looking at properties again, the kitchen sounds like the set of Bread and the bath is the wrong shape- ie not bath shaped. If I were interested I'd be offering taking into account having to change both items.

I suspect many of your viewers might be as well.

EDIT- Another few k for the bedroom. It seems you have [-]horrendous[/-] individual taste and will need to modify the house for sale. You can then set about [-]ruining[/-] changing your next house.

Last edited:
Artexing is out of fashion, especially artexed walls, that could really date your house. I'd certainly consider getting rid of it.

Look at what type of market is likely to buy your house (young couple only starting, family with parents in their 40s, people retiring etc.) and try and appeal to them.

If most people tell you it needs updating then it does, simple as.
You're selling your house, not your "style" so you have the choice of sticking to your guns and potentially lose thousands of pounds needlessly on the sale price; or you do some changes that won't necessarily cost a fortune but make potential buyers think they could live with it.

Fix all the little things that are details but can add to a list that makes buyers run.
Watch the house doctor TV program :D

Look at what type of market is likely to buy your house (young couple only starting, family with parents in their 40s, people retiring etc.) and try and appeal to them.

If most people tell you it needs updating then it does, simple as.
You're selling your house, not your "style" so you have the choice of sticking to your guns and potentially lose thousands of pounds needlessly on the sale price; or you do some changes that won't necessarily cost a fortune but make potential buyers think they could live with it.

Fix all the little things that are details but can add to a list that makes buyers run.
Watch the house doctor TV program :D

Agree with all of this. Plus a (nearly) cost free thing to do is declutter and put stuff into storage. Sold our (then) house 3 1/2 years ago and boxed loads of things up and put them in storage before putting the house on the market. If you are going to move you'll need to box all your things up anyway.

Try (as best you can) to make your house look like a show home for every viewing. People pay a premium for new houses for a good reason - little/nothing needs doing.

We did all of the above plus our house was very nicely generically decorated in creams, browns and whites, brand new bathroom. Much as you might hate the idea (as did I) we painted our dark wood kitchen cupboards an off white and fitted some new worktops.

Out of 11 viewing we had 7 different people putting in offers and it eventually sold after a bit of a bidding war for 5% over the asking price.

The thing to remember is to distance yourself, once you decide to sell thats it and as already said its not your taste that matters its the person buying the house.

Last edited:
Take a look at any chain DIY store and the kitchen section, not to buy, just to see what is deemed stylish and contemporay.

Im sure you won't spot any built in welsh dressers...:smashin:

Another few k for the bedroom. It seems you have [-]horrendous[/-] individual taste and will need to modify the house for sale. You can then set about [-]ruining[/-] changing your next house.

I disagree - i just bought a house, belonging to an elderly lady. The decoration was in keeping with her age. Kitchen was very dated. No mention of a price reduction was ever made to due cosmetic changes.

A lick of paint wouldn't go a miss mind, makes it look 'clean'.

Last edited:
The trouble with 'modern' kitchens is that they will date quickly. A farmhouse pine kitchen is a classic that will always be acceptable. Also most of these modern built kitchens are really badly built. You go a moben/dolphin show room and hav a real good luck, it's all chipboard and formica verneer. Even the fake marble work tops are hollow. If you want a decent wooden kitchen these days you have to go bespoke and it costs tens of thousands. Stick to your pine mate, it will have been built to last a lot longer than anything 'modern' at MFI or Ikea.

Maybe sand it down and re-varnish would be an option to someone...

Shaz

I disagree - i just bought a house, belonging to an elderly lady. The decoration was in keeping with her age. Kitchen was very dated. No mention of a price reduction was ever made to due cosmetic changes.

I imagine the area will play some role in this. Where I am looking, there is enough property for sale that untidy/dated/hideous stuff can be overlooked as there is plenty of stuff out there that doesn't require the work to be done.

Ultimately, I have a budget in mind for the house as a finished article. If I will need to spend out on it to reach that goal, I will seek the reduction to take that into account.

A farmhouse pine kitchen is a classic that will always be acceptable.

See this is proof that its all about taste. I'd agree with you to a point but if we were moving and my wife saw a house with a farmhouse pine kitchen, she would want it straight out and a new one in!

Hmmmm is this one of those jokey spoof threads again? Like the old water cooled pc one ages ago?

Decor taste also applies to the outside of a house. There's one near us which has exterior paint the colour of a yellow highlighter pen. It's that bright. What were they thinking?!!

West Worthing PRICE £299,995
Search results - Symonds Reading

the "offending" bedroom was never photographed:Dbut I may decide to decorate it .
Main problem with the house is the lack of off road parking which we reluctantly decided to amend by committing an act of vandalism and having a drive put down in the front which will fit two cars

the "offending" bedroom was never photographed:Dbut I may decide to decorate it .
Main problem with the house is the lack of off road parking which we reluctantly decided to amend by committing an act of vandalism and having a drive put down in the front which will fit two cars

I've seen worse kitchens than that!

DSC_8598.jpg

Last edited:
Kitchen is dated no question
I know your a Gardner/landscaper, but the side of the house needs cleared up bigstyle also remove about 3/4 of the plants in the rear to show off the true size of the garden.
Other than that it looks fine:thumbsup:

Kitchen is dated no question
I know your a Gardner/landscaper, but the side of the house needs cleared up bigstyle also remove about 3/4 of the plants in the rear to show off the true size of the garden.
Other than that it looks fine:thumbsup:
actually the garden as a whole needs a good tidy up.I tend to like it a bit jungly , but those climbers do get a bit out of hand.
Problem with updating kitchens is that its a very individual thing and whatever i put in there may not appeal to many. I f push comes to shove i could get the fronts and worktops changed to something more contemporary too keep costs down but as i say even then its a very individual thing. To my mind putting a drive down in the front is much more practical and desirable, as parking on the road is a royal pain the arse- too many cars.
Location isnt bad being near a railway station ,several shops and its in the catchment area of a good school.
Major downer is the size of the garden.Not much room for kids to play around in unfortunately and no grass.Thought about removing some stuff including an old bench and a rockery .

nb just noticed my bedroom was photographed,Its the one orangey yello walls and pink fireplace

I wasn't aware that kitchens were a fashion item.

Just another way people like to waste money I suppose.

Bathroom is fine. The kitchen is serviceable, so if someone doesn't like it they can change it, no big deal. You might want to look at tile paint to make the splashback tiles a single colour and mute them a bit. Please, please paint the fireplace in the orange bedroom white or black :) Change all the floral bedcovers for plain ones.

And wear modern clothes when opening the front door :smashin:

Dave

Wish you could get a 4 bedder round here for that much :(

Personally,I can always look past the decor in a house, as long as its not going to take much to put it right. I dont expect people to have the same taste as me and have always redecorate very room of each house we have bought. The issue of cost to change comes in when you look at bathroom and kitchen,. It cost us close to 30k to re-do both of ours (we'd budgeted for them) so Id have to take into account when looking at yours. Bathroom looks fine to me but the kitchen would need stripping out and replacing IMO, you could update it cheaply and easily by changing the doors to a modern beech/maple/light oak finish and put some reasonable formica worktops in. A few quid and you could get a sale

Also agree on the floral look, the decor looks very "granny" to me so you need to try and get people who cant see past that to see the potential. Declutter and go for some modern muted colours

Garden is great if you are older or have no kids but anyone with children will be put off

I wasn't aware that kitchens were a fashion item.

Just another way people like to waste money I suppose.

very true! I let my wife decide on the kitchen when we bought it.I just wanted something that was practical looked ok and would last years as i am not one for changing things every 5 mins.One thing I leant was never to buy inbuilt anything (apart from maybe oven and hob) as replacement is much more expensive and awkward, especially fridge freezer.My next house must have a utility room and or garage where i can site freezer washing machine and tumble dryer.Then i'll have a free standing American style fridge in the kitchen

Bathroom is fine. The kitchen is serviceable, so if someone doesn't like it they can change it, no big deal. You might want to look at tile paint to make the splashback tiles a single colour and mute them a bit. Please, please paint the fireplace in the orange bedroom white or black :) Change all the floral bedcovers for plain ones.

And wear modern clothes when opening the front door :smashin:

Dave

brush is at the ready in the bedroom.I might paint the fireplace blasck and the windows, skirting board architrave etc - white.If you are refering to that vanity unit with a sink in avocado green :eek:, then we did think of replacing it , yes

I meet buyers on a daily basis and sadly they generally expect vendors to sell houses that are up to date in the kitchen and bathroom department.

The location, size and layout of a property should be most important you would think, but as kitchens are big ticket items, buyers see it as a bargain if the prospective new property is 'ready to go', without the need to refurbish the costlier rooms.
It also helps estate agents to shift 'boxes' if they are more appealing nowadays.

Folk really do like the 'hotel' look at the moment, with antique pine taking a back seat.(Oak and Walnut being the only other timber colours in the running)
If it's not contemporary and it's classical instead then it needs to be painted cream, no question about it.

And yes, kitchens - especially open plan types with islands, bathrooms and gardens are VERY VERY fashionable to some.

If you are refering to that vanity unit with a sink in avocado green :eek:
I didn't spot that :) Maybe you could cover the sink with a board, put an upturned vase over the taps and make it look like a dressing table :) Or just take it out, I don't think vanity sinks are particularly in at the moment.

Dave

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom