Are all the PS3 games region free

i have myself a US console,.. and am wanting to buy some games;

as the price difference isnt that major,.. i wouldnt mind popping into GAME and purchasing PAL games,... i know all games are region free everywhere.. but is this set to change in the future?... or is the region free games a permanent thing?

because i wouldnt want half a collection of PAL games,.. then they region lock games,... and the rest of my collection is then NTSC... i would rather start buying NTSC from the get-go and have all my games the same region.

one last question;

does anybody know if a UK PSP would pair perfectly with a US PS3 Console?

I would assume that region locking games will never make it to the PS3. The PSP is also region free....has been from the start and Sony have never made any noises about locking it up. Regarding pairing I wouldn't see why not tbh but I wouldn't like to say for definate lol

The only problem I've had with US games is because I used a non-RGB scart cable so some games will appear in black and white. Switching to a RGB scart fixed the problem but then, of course, DVDs appear in black and white (requiring a switch on the scart). Granted it will effect very few people but someone might view this thread on a search and find the solution they're looking for.

Hi.

My brother is coming back from Hong Kong next month and I was wondering whether games bought there will work on a UK console? I am particualrly interested in Call of Duty 4.

Are games (much) cheaper over there? Are they the same as if I bought the game in the UK?

Thanks for your help.

Games are region free but they won't necessarily be the same. The case cover, manuals, ingame text may all be specific for the locale the game was originally intended for. Another consideration is if its an online game whether the servers may be locked to a specific region. I.e. Buy an American game you may only be able to play on the American game servers and therefore may suffer lagging and won't be able to play with your friends who have a UK copy of the game. I don't think COD4 have their game servers region locked though.

Merging with existing PS3 Region Free thread. Please do a search before starting a new thread.

do you need a hdtv in order for all the games to work that you buy from different region?

heard something about only sony import games working on regular tv and connection

do you need a hdtv in order for all the games to work that you buy from different region?

heard something about only sony import games working on regular tv and connection

I think you may have misunderstood. The problem arises when someone tried to use an import PS3 ( US, HK or Japanese ) with an SD CRT TV. In this case some if not all games will not work. This applies to both Sony and non Sony games. I believe the reason for this is that the import PS3's do not support PAL 50HZ.

If you have a PAL PS3 and a CRT then as long as the CRT is relatively new and supports the NTSC standard then it should be fine.

I have had a playstation 3 for a few months now, how do i know what region games i can play on it? i have found some cheaper games online

i also have half life 2 which i have played once for about 30mins but did not like it anyone want to swap it for COD4?

i thought the games were all, or mostly all, region free.... maybe I am wrong...?

All BluRay games will work on all consoles, the exception is some downloadable games like WarHawk will only work on the account you download it on and it will be locked on all other accounts.

With game developers having the ability to region-lock games, is there a list which says which games fall victim to this? If not entire games becoming unplayable, is there anywhere I can find out which features (such as online gaming) become unplayable if you import a game into the UK?

I'm most worried about games such as MLB 08, NBA 2K8 and Madden losing their online features if I were to import from VGP.ca.

can someone please clarify will u.s games work on a british 40 gig playstation

Yes they will all games are regionless.
Handy Tip - use the search funtion, there are plenty of threads on this already

can someone please clarify will u.s games work on a british 40 gig playstation

Please do a search before starting a new unnecessary thread. This has been discussed and answered before several times. Doing a search for region free will bring up the threads. Merging thread with existing one.

Parents are going to New York this week and want me to make a list of things i want. Looking for some new PS3 games but just need to know which games from America can be played on a UK PS3??

Cheers,

all of them
get rock band

Parents are going to New York this week and want me to make a list of things i want. Looking for some new PS3 games but just need to know which games from America can be played on a UK PS3??

Cheers,

This has already been discussed and answered countless times. Please try and do a search before starting a new unnecessary thread. Merging threads.

Sorry to drag this thread up, but I did do a search and found it :smashin:

I have been looking at ebay recently for some cheap titles, most are from the US or Japan. Would there be an issue with the newer titles playing them online?

I also saw a comment about downloaded content, is that still an issue on newer games? I was thinking along the lines of COD:WAW with new maps etc.
Any other new issues that have come to light with imported games?

ta :thumbsup:

Sorry to drag this thread up, but I did do a search and found it :smashin:

I have been looking at ebay recently for some cheap titles, most are from the US or Japan. Would there be an issue with the newer titles playing them online?

I also saw a comment about downloaded content, is that still an issue on newer games? I was thinking along the lines of COD:WAW with new maps etc.
Any other new issues that have come to light with imported games?

ta :thumbsup:

just the fact that the online play can sometimes be locked to the region it came from

ie. u buy motostorm 2 from the us u can only play on us servers*

* example

think its game specific but would check the game ur buying first

So if I have a UK PS3, with a UK online account, I'm in India and I buy a US game will that mean Motostorm2 will force me to connect to US servers?

So if I have a UK PS3, with a UK online account, I'm in India and I buy a US game will that mean Motostorm2 will force me to connect to US servers?

It all depends on whether Motorstorm 2 uses worldwide or regional servers. Offline all PS3 games are region free. Online it varies from game to game although most if not all recent games have worldwide servers. If the online servers in a game are regionalized then you will connect to the ones in the same region as where the game is from regardless of where you live or where the console is from. I have Motorstorm 2 but haven't played it yet so hopefully someone else can answer specifically regards that. You may also want to ask the same question in the Motorstorm 2 play and help thread.

Sorry to bump an old thread but saves creating a new one. My mate has just told me he updated his ps3 and put his american baseball game into his ps3 and it comes up wrong region, how does he fix this? think he has 2k7.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom