1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are all R3 pictures this bad....?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by SilverPenguin7, Sep 10, 2004.

1. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I got Hero R3 the other day, and whilst its a great film the picture quality really bugged me. On static shots the picture was great but on fast moving objects it became a bit stuttery (one scene has a slow camera pan and it was almost jumpy, not like R1 juddering this was worse) and you could see what looked like scan lines on the edges of everything that moved, swords, people etc etc. At these times the picture looked like what I would describe a really good pirate! Loved the film but think I will be getting the R1/R2 when they come out as on a large display the R3 is very distracting :(

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    Thats surprising, the region 3 titles that i own have an excellent picture quality.

3. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    My experience of R3 (and Hero in particular) is the same as Inzaman. What version of Hero do you have? Is it the extended one? As dvdbeaver thought that it sucked compared to the asian theatrical DVD release.

Also is your DVD player compatible with NTSC/set to output either NTSC or set to AUTO for picture type? Otherwise it might be converting the picture to PAL, which always results in a nasty moving picture.

4. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I no longer buy region 3 discs as I was always unhappy with the picture. DVDs included Amelie, The Others. Found the pictures to be too soft, not sharp enough (bit like a second generation VHS copy. They looked OK on a TV but not on a projector.

5. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    Actually forgot about The Others, this was a pretty poor release picture wise, the R3 titles i own that are excellent are Xmen 2, The Matrix (forget which one) and there are a few others.

6. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have the 2 disc dts HK version. My dvd player is set to progressive and pal60 whicih are the settings I use for all of my discs and the picture is nowhere near as good as any R1 or R2 I have watched, and I do mean not even close. At times it really is just plain rubbish! Had the disc been put in the machine without me knowing I would not have suspected it was an official disc, the opening scene with the running horses looks really bad especially. Its like the picture almost blurs at times.

7. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Pal60 you say? hmm, I'd try setting that to NTSC, see if that makes a difference.

What DVD player do you have?

8. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    A Harmon Kardon 2550. It makes no difference to R1 being on pal60, could it really make one to R3? I'll have a look and see but I think its just a problem with the disc as it really looks obviously different to everything else I have. And like I say static images look great mostly, its mainly fast movement where the problems occur. Its hard to explain how it looks but its not the same as R1 jerkyness.

9. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I've the same player, mine is set to auto and it works perfectly with all my disks.

However I can introduce artifacts/jerks by switching the prog scan decoding options via the EZ-Menu - its the right most option, set it from 0 (which is auto I think) to 1 or 2.

10. Stephen J Jones

Stephen J Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem with my R3 copy of Frida, it became quite hard watching so I didn't buy any more R3s.
    I heard too it was because of the output settings, but I couldn't change my DVD player's settings. (A Reoc.)
    If you can alter your settings, that would probably sort it.

11. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I can't use auto as on that setting R1 dvd's are way to bright so I have to adjust brightness everytime it switches regions :(

I set the ezmenu to 2 everytime as that removes shimmering etc, I have always done that. I wish I could show you what i mean, I might try and take some pictures later but I have a feeling when I pause the picture it will look fine. I'll try though.

12. mad max 3

mad max 3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had no problems with any of the Region 3 titles that I've had.
    Das Boot Superbit
    Godzilla
    To name but a few.
    In fact the picture and audio on these disc's are quite fantastic.
    Thats not to say that I put my faith in all R3 DVD's.
    With some of the Hong Kong martial art DVD's thats past through my hands in the past, I would have to say that the picture has never been A1. This also applies for R0 martial arts movies, but I can't speak for them all.

13. Sami

Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    The 2 disc R3 version of Hero that I have has a fantastic picture! Haven't had any of the problems mentioned above.. however, I am just going through RGB into my 29" Panasonic TV using an old Sony DVD player....

14. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    it sounds like the 3:2 pulldown flagging on the disc is incorrect or it a transcode from a different format , or the field cadence of the master is swapping about across edits.

I've got a couple of region3 discs and they play fine ( Dawn of the dead 2004 seems to have very little black detail but it could be a creatiive decision)

15. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I have well over 150+ region 3 discs that are of similiar PQ (on my 32" widescreen TV) to any other region imo. Obviously you do get the odd disc that isn't up to scratch but no more so than any other region imo. I tend to find that most of the new titles are effectively the same as their region 1 & 2 counter parts just 30% cheaper in most cases and sometimes offer other sound formats not covered by the other regions (DTS in many cases).:)

16. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a few region 3 discs and sometimes the frame rate seems to be 24 frames per second instead of the usual 30 frames associated with region 1 NTSC, i think its possible that like MR D says its a problem with the 3:2 pulldown but to be honest the picture quality is more than acceptable and indeed Tomb Raider 2 has a reference picture quality despite the above problems, i would imagine on certain equipment and displays you might get problems but i don't seem to have experienced them.

DVD Beaver mentions the problem with the Edko edition of Hero but does not seem to know what is causing the problem, they DO NOT at any point say the Edko edition sucks and it is worth mentioning it has a full bitrate DTS track with DTS ES 6.1 sound as opposed to the Japanese DTS 5.1 soundtrack.

They also mention that only people with projection systems or very large screens will really notice the problem but i do think its a 3:2 pulldown problem and i don't understand how this 24 frames per second to 30frames per second thing works with NTSC material, is there any experts out there that can give an explanation ?

17. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    I've just bought the "basic" region3 of this and it does indeed seem to suck!
    I've not watched it long enough but.... engaging english subtitles flashes up a grey bar at the top of the screen every time a subtitle appears (Theatertek can luckily extend the blanking to cover this. The picture levels on the disc look wrong. White level looks too hot and the blacks look too low ...way too contrasty clipped I would say.

Also a company logo seems to pop up on the left side of the screen every so often.

I'll report back tonight but it looks like this is a minger of a disc.

18. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Mr.D

Sounds like have got the Chinese R3 release of the Extended edition - Very poor quality just look at the dvdbeaver comparision. The HK Region 3 is well worth getting with a very good (on my 32inch TV ) Picture and superb DTS.