Are all progressive plasma screens inherently flawed?

How do shop@panasonic connect? In Guildford it's all composite video, or was when I was last there. They are franchises, so no standards, entirely down to ownership.

Originally posted by loonatic
It's defo not your Sky box as it also happens on DVD via either component or HDMI and PC input.

Cheers, Lee

can't say that I saw anything similar with DVD on either display unit. The fact that the only thing that has changed is the sky box, and the problem is still there, means it's either the sky box or the TX32PF10 and the 433MXE process the signals in a very similar way

Gary

MAW said:
It might be a processing problem, ditch the tuner models, try some panel only types. At least you get control of the processing. There's absolutely no need for an integrated analogue tuner, most people never watch them anyway.

Indeed but my father wants teletext. We have Sky digital so that takes care of the tv stuff but he still wants normal teletext.

A bunch of scart connectors wouldn't go a miss though...

Koing

loonatic said:
Okay then..try this...

Bring up the Sky+ TV guide and move the highlight bar up and down.

While doing this look to the left and right of the highlight bar and you should see a change in brightness corresponding to the moving bar.

Cheers, Lee
I've just tried this and I can just about see the effect you're talking about.
I've had my 504 for over 6 months though and I only noticed it now because I was specifically looking for it, so it can't be that big an issue.

Are you seriously suggesting that some shadowing/banding when in the Sky Guide is the reason you returned your plasma?
How often do you 'watch' it?

loonatic said:
You can clearly see the problem if you bring up the Sky navigation menu at the bottom of the screen and look either side of the blue on-screen channel selector – you can see that it has changed the brightness/contrast of the underlying image. This I guess on it’s own could be lived with.

Probably, what you notice is the power reduction in the PSP panel. Similar to what exists in a CRT TV and is there called 'beam current limitation', the Plasma panels have a maximim power output they can produce in the phosphors. So for instance take a black screen with only a tiny white square, and it will shine very bright into your eyes. But then as you increase the size of the square, the brightness will go down as a white pixel draws more power than a black pixel.

This explains probably why the 'contrast' goes down when the menu of your sky box is displayed: the menu probably draws more power and the light output is reduced.

This is in fact also why plasma sets can be spectacular contrast ratio's and still be outperformed by an LCD with a relatively low contrast ratio: the spec is measured on a tiny white square, not representing your average broadcast.

LCD sets don't suffer from this effect because the backlight is allways on, no matter what the video content is. black is made by actually driving the LCD pixels in such a way that the light is blocked. Therefore an LCD will always be as bright as it has to be (even too bright with today's sets). Dimming the backlight will reduce the peak white output and will also decrease the blacklevel in the same way. This will give a better picture in dark movies.

The other thing you've seen about the green stuff that's tailing reminds me of false contouring. I can't be sure untill I've seen it. If it is what I think it is, then it's inherent to plasma technology. LCD won't have this either.

loonatic

I have been following this thread and have made a few checks myself both on the 434 and 433 screens. I am positive that the issue is moslty with the source and sometimes interconnects. I am a satellite enthusiast so I have a "collection" of satellite receivers 3 digital one analog. I have tested your theory with various satellite channels, not just Sky, and the following happens. The cheapest satellite receiver will show the problem you are describing relatively easy, the mid range one makes hard to see. Finally there is absolutely nothing to see with the high end satellite receiver (not Sky provided). Both the 434 and 433 behaved the same. Remember, plasma highlights all type of artifacts and video source problems. You need a really good source/signal/picture.

I also tested with DVD like 747/757/868 component/hdmi (868) connected players against a few entry level players... Yes I can see something like on the Aliens DVD but not with good players and good leads. I am 100% certain and clear of my observation.

Finally buzzing was known on some units. In my case the 433 was perfect, the 434 is :) only very slightly louder (have to stand at 50 cm from the panel and display a bright scene).

Hope this helps!

loonatic said:
LCDs do not seem to suffer from this problem.

They produce a much cleaner image...until something moves..allthough this is improving all the time.

Cheers, Lee

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: LoL

My Panny 36" CRT does this when watching anything via RGB. S-video it completely dissapears !.

I was hoping this sort of crap would be a thing of the past when I upgraded ro Plasma but it seems thats not the case !!!!.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom