Are all processors high end?

S

Sharpy14

I have a Yamaha DSP 492 Pro logic porcessor. I want to have a Dolby digital processort and was looking for something like the DSP E800, and then discovered that this has long been discontinued, and that processors it seems are all over £500

I can't believe that I either have to have two separate systems, or pay through the nose for some high end processor, or buy some fancy "switching" switch..............or do I?

a av amp with full pre outs will do the same job as the DSP E800 as far as i know.

But I want to use my exisitng stereo amp to run the front left and rights, would an av amp allow this (I wouln'd think so)?

I did think that there was some way I could use the same speakers for music, and also surround sound, but this only seems possible with some switching device betweem the AV 5.1 amp and the stereo amp :(

if the av amp has pre outs then you can use your 2 channel amp.

the yamaha 800 is just really a av amp with the front L+R power amps removed.

Sharpy14 said:
But I want to use my exisitng stereo amp to run the front left and rights, would an av amp allow this (I wouln'd think so)?

I did think that there was some way I could use the same speakers for music, and also surround sound, but this only seems possible with some switching device betweem the AV 5.1 amp and the stereo amp :(
No problem, just connect the front pre-outs of the AV amp to the stereo amp and leave the front speakers connected to the stereo amp. No switching device is needed.
This, in a way, wastes two channels of internal amplification in the AV amp but it's cheaper than a dedicated AV pre-amp/processor.

Which seems to be what I want, but just to nail this down.

I have a Marantz PM7200 that has 7 Audio Input and 2 Audio outputs (apparently)

Say I got the Yamaha RXV350 AV amp (as sold by good old Richer Sounds), that apparnetly has 6 channel input and 6 audio input...........would this feed the left and right front channels to the Marantz, for surround sound and if so, by what type connection.

(sorry to seem thick, but it comes naturally and why hide my light under a bushel)

You'll need to make sure that your AV amp has preouts for the main L&R speakers. Then connect these to an unused stereo input on your stereo amp - some have dedicated AV inputs which would be a good choice.

With most arrangements of this type you'll have to make sure that your stereo amplifier volume is set to the same level every time that you use the AV amp so that all of the speaker levels remain the same. :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom