1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are all plasma's 2 frames late???

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Weird Wolf, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Weird Wolf

Weird Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new to home cinema and i was chatting to someone last night who works in TV industry (as do I) and they found that plasma screens are all 2 frames late with respect to the audio. Apparently they called Panasonic and after initially denying it they confirmed that yes, they are late. Obviously if this is true, then the audio will need a delay box in order to rectify this.
    This has shocked me a bit especially as i've looked at various forums and none of them have mentioned this....is it true or am I missing something previously discussed?

2. Ludae

Ludae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Usually 1 to 3 video fields delay (0.5 to 1.5 frames), due to the de-interlacing required. Most people don't notice or have a problem with the delay, but if there are sync errors elsewhere, such as from the DVD player and/or movie mastering then the problem becomes much worse.

There are some audio amps/surround sound processors that allow the audio to be delayed.

3. Weird Wolf

Weird Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Generally speaking a 1 frame delay is kind of passable but 1.5 frames is definitely noticeable. I'm getting the Denon 3802 amp/receiver so i'll look to see if this delays or not.
    Thanks.

4. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The 3802 doesn't have lip-sync delay
    Regards

5. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The case is the same with 100Hz sets, they have a delay of at least 1 field.

6. Ludae

Ludae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it is half a field plus half a scan line IIRC for the simple repeat field 100Hz mode.

7. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Well thanks guys. Have been happily watching my plasma for nearly a year, now I'm looking for lip synch delay. Some things you're better off not knowing.

In fact I can't see it most of the time on my Daewoo, although there was some slight lag on last night's screening of Star wars 1 on Sky.

BTW, just adjusted my screen using the Avia test DVD - wow what a difference. I have access to the factory settings of the Daewoo via a hack on the remote and by tweaking these the picture is much improved. The component input shows the greatest improvement (hooked up to a Sony 9000ES), but the S-Video feed is also a lot better.