Are all-in-ones really any good?

thewordsman

Standard Member
I've had separate home cinema kit for 8/9 years but moving TV room, so investing in some new kit. I'm under pressure to make things smaller - the telling comment being "I don't mind if you get some Bose Cubes". I don't mind compromising on speakers a bit as we won't listen to music in that room much (currently have MA GR10s). And I quite fancy the Arcam Solo Movie to condense the aging black stack into one box. The room is 4.4 x 3.5m, in an Edwardian house with floorboards (cinema has never sounded quite as good here as in our old house with concrete floors).

Here's the challenge - a lot of sub-£500 all in one packages get 5-star reviews. So do lots above £1,000. I can't believe that the cheap ones are up to as much, especially if you're used to full-sized speakers. Without listening to them yet, I like the look of B&W MT, or Monitor Audio Radius.

Any thoughts on what to start auditioning?

thanks

Higgo

Here's the challenge - a lot of sub-£500 all in one packages get 5-star reviews. So do lots above £1,000. I can't believe that the cheap ones are up to as much

I'm pretty sure the reviews take the price into account. So a 5* £1000 will sound better than a 5* £500 system. The £500 5* systems will be pretty damn good for £500, though.

thewordsman

Standard Member
Thanks Higgo, yes I suspected that the ratings take price range into account. I think I'll listen to some cheaper ones first - no point spending more than I need to!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 Review, Apple Lossless & Dolby Atmos @ no cost, Sennheiser IE900 review + more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom